2016 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NWA's induction only makes sense in that the RnR HoF has inducted in rap and hip-hop groups, but I personally am of the belief that none of those groups deserve to be in as they can never really be classified as "Rock and Roll".

Yes should be in there next year instead of NWA, but I can think of plenty of other groups that are equally (and maybe even more) deserving of a Rock Hall spot that haven't even received half of the attention for exclusion that Yes has, and that's just how it goes.
I will say however that despite NWA, this is one of the best induction classes for sure! All four of the other artists are very deserving of an induction! :)

IMO that's the agenda I was mentioning in my post....they want to expand it and NWA will be the gateway group to open it up for others...it seems benign on the surface but NWA's song lyrics are beyond offensive to many groups...it's ironic because these liberal minded individuals with the warm and fuzzy social intentions that want to include them in the Hall are giving credence to the same principles that they supposedly denounce...violence...denigrating women....could you imagine watching the induction ceremony with your children and they ask you about their music...maybe this one..or this lovely classic..or this stellar selection...it's ironic that Jim Morrison got in trouble for singing "girl we couldn't get much higher" on Ed Sullivan...and now we have NWA...times have certainly changed..maybe they will play instrumentals at the induction ceremony

I also voted for Steve Miller and Deep Purple. :) I didn't think Miller would get in either, but happy for him.

If you look at Steve Miller's entire career going back to the late '60s, he's as deserving as Chicago, Deep Purple or Yes. Cheap Trick certainly deserves it, but they should be further back in line. All of the aforementioned in my opinion, of course...

^ Think my ignoring of the RRHF really began when these boys weren't in yet and the Beastie Boys were being enshrined...wait...what? :mad:@:

I think the inherent unfairness and nonsense built in to RRHoF inductions prompted this speech:

That and also the fact that Alex Lifeson really didn't feel like memorizing the speech he had prepared and was worried he would forget what he wanted to say, and so, history was made in this moment. :)

Yes not getting in is disgraceful :mad:. Every year they don't get in, and other less deserving bands do, I say that it won't wind me up, but unfortunately every year it does :flame

If you go by the voting by fans, Cheap Trick didn't make the top 5....but Yes and The Cars did. Both Yes and The Cars each received about 16.2% of the fan votes. NWA didn't even get 1% of the fan votes!!

http://rockhall.com/voting/2016-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-vote/

yeah, I know. Believe me - I realize that the HOF is a joke for the most part. That's why in an earlier post I made comment about Steve Miller, because I truly thought he should be voted in...but assumed he'd get the shaft.

I thought this years show was great.

Started with Kimbra stealing the show from David Byrne on Bowie's tribute to Fame.

Deep Purple killed it for "ageing rockers"

Cheap Trick killed it.

Steve Miller Killed it.

Sheryl Crows tribute of Glenn Frey's New Kid in Town was amazing (one of the most underrated moments of the show IMO)

and like someone mentioned, Prince killing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Tom Petty as an end tibute. Who knew Prince was such a good guitar player? lol

even the presenters were great. Lars Ulrich, Dan Auerbach, Kid Rock all were very articulate, passionate and genuine.

I thought Deep Purple-the band- was great. I thought Ian Gillian-the singer should hang it up. But worse than that was David Coverdale during "Ain't That A Shame". It was probably in the wrong key for him but man that was painful. Also painful was Jason Scheff during "25 or 6 to 4". Youch!!!!

Nice to see Bun E. Carlos back behind the drums even if it's just for the one night. Same with Danny Seraphine.

Coverdale sounded horrible for sure. But Robin Zander still has it! Actually I thought Gillian sounded surprisingly good.

Yeah, Prince was a hell of a guitar player :(

Coverdale sounded horrible for sure. But Robin Zander still has it! Actually I thought Gillian sounded surprisingly good.

Yeah, Prince was a hell of a guitar player :(

Zander has always sounded great in my opinion...amazing when you consider they've never stopped touring...since forever.

Are there any "official" broadcasts of these? The only things I have found have been smartphone footage in utube...

Zander has always sounded great in my opinion...amazing when you consider they've never stopped touring...since forever.

That constant touring probably helps if you take care of your voice properly. And the guy obviously takes pretty good care of himself.

Always laughing at the annual consternation and hand-wringing over who is and who isn't (yet) in the RRHOF.

I'm of the belief that half the reason such organizations exist is for the publicity created over such annual "controversies".

Stop to consider---if all the bands everyone considered "deserving" were already in, then who would they induct next year?

And who gets to define what constitutes "rock n roll" anyway? I thought part of the definition was that it pushed boundaries beyond traditional musical definitions. But people DO like their nice little organizational boxes, most times. Even those who like to consider themselves 'rebels'.

Ironically, (or maybe not so) I thought Ice Cube summed it all up best:

Now, the question is, are we rock & roll? And I say you goddamn right we rock & roll. Rock & roll is not an instrument, rock & roll is not even a style of music. Rock & roll is a spirit. It's a spirit. It's been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock & roll, heavy metal, punk rock and yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. That's what connects us all, that spirit. Rock & roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life. That is rock & roll, and that is us.

So rock & roll is not conforming. Rock & roll is outside the box. And rock & roll is N.W.A. I want to thank everybody who helped induct us into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I just want to tell the world, "Damn, that shit was dope."

Back