2016 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, don't know how this one managed to slip through! :mad:

No worries! It's really hard staying on top of all of these releases in 2016, and you really do a fantastic job! I use this blog all the time to make sure I'm up to date on all of the latest releases, and I know I'm not the only one who really relies on this blog, so please, keep it up! :) :banana:

Out of curiosity, I compiled a histogram of the formats of the recordings in your chart. Here it is. Sorry it says "Code:", but that's the only way I knew to get it to preserve spacing.

Code:
TOTAL        - 63 Titles

LPCM        - 48 Titles

LOSSLESS   - 29 Titles
    DVD-A    - 12 Titles
    Blu-ray  - 11 Titles
    Download -  6 Titles

LOSSY      - 19 Titles
    DVD      - 18 Titles
    DTS-CD   -  1 Titles

DSD         - 15 Titles
  SACD       - 15 Titles

Of course these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, as the sample size is small. That said, here are a few observations: In spite of AF's SACD Quad reissue series, LPCM is far more common than DSD. Physical media still dominate downloads: less than 10% of titles were released as downloads. Lossless PCM is (barely) more common than lossy, but (lossy) DVD is the single most common multichannel audio format. DVD-A is less dead than I thought; in fact it's more common than Blu-ray.

Last edited:
This list has just reached the same number of views as last year's list, i.e. 2,105.
Yay, it's worth it! ;)

I am so happy that we have this list - thanks, haikubass!

Should we add this: TACET's Beethoven Symphonies 1-9?

My pleasure and thank you for the suggestion!

Actually, there's so many releases this year that I've been struggling with the character limit (10,000) for some time now. I hate the idea of splitting the list, so I'm currently in a process of cutting the links down via bit.ly.

Adding classical titles would most likely lead to another list/sublist, but here's a thought:
What about compiling the non-rock&pop titles here in the comments section first and then maybe do a 2016 master list somewhere in the main forum by the end of the year?

My pleasure and thank you for the suggestion!

Actually, there's so many releases this year that I've been struggling with the character limit (10,000) for some time now. I hate the idea of splitting the list, so I'm currently in a process of cutting the links down via bit.ly.

Adding classical titles would most likely lead to another list/sublist, but here's a thought:
What about compiling the non-rock&pop titles here in the comments section first and then maybe do a 2016 master list somewhere in the main forum by the end of the year?

Sounds good to me, but honestly the Tacet surround discs are the only ones I'm familiar with. There are others on the forum who know much more and would be able to contribute classical titles. The only others that I remember off the top of my head are the Pentatone releases (which I haven't tried yet).

Opeth – Sorceress DVD-V are in 'fake' surround with only reverb in the rear channels. See more here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lbum-quot-Sorceress-quot-to-be-released/page4

Btw: Thx for putting Odyssey - Metastasia on this fine list! :)
Should it be mentioned that it's in 5.1 and 7.1 mix?
Maybe one of the first 7.1 mix of a studio albums in the world?
I have only found 7.1 until now as a live jamsession project (with only few instruments) and some nature-sounds ambient project. (see more here)

Opeth – Sorceress DVD-V are in 'fake' surround with only reverb in the rear channels. See more here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lbum-quot-Sorceress-quot-to-be-released/page4

Btw: Thx for putting Odyssey - Metastasia on this fine list! :)
Should it be mentioned that it's in 5.1 and 7.1 mix?
Maybe one of the first 7.1 mix of a studio albums in the world?
I have only found 7.1 until now as a live jamsession project (with only few instruments) and some nature-sounds ambient project. (see more here)

Fixed, thank you! Well, I've sure hoped the mix won't turn out that bad eventually...
You're welcome! Unfortunately, there's not enough space for additional info (how I wish I could link titles to their forum threads/polls!), therefore no distinction among 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos here...

Back