2018 TOP SURROUND PICKS-TOP TEN

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well another surround year has passed us by........and with an incredible load of Surround/Quad releases and reissues .

So I thought I'd list my top tens ....as much as I have observed and listened to in 5ch and 4ch.

All formats considered , be it dvd, dvda, sacd , or blu-ray , or etc.

Of my top 10.........five of these are originally from 1968 !!!!!! Five from those late 60's date yet , that's unbelievable for 2018 .

1) The Beatles - The White Album. Bluray

2) Fleetwood Mac -75 Fleetwood Mac. DVD
3) Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland Bluray
4) Roxy Music - Roxy Music DVD
5) Jethro Tull - This Was DVD

6) John Lennon - Imagine,( ultimate.) Bluray
7) The Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord DVD
8) The Band - Music From Big Pink (new 5.1 remix) Bluray
9) BeBop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish. DVD
10) Steve Hackett - Broken Skies , Outspread Wings. DVD

All listed in Haikubass' s 2018 surround list .

So , what's your faves of ' 18 ? :)

Started a similar thread a while back, but here's mine:

1. Poco- Cantamos & Seven (honestly all the DV releases this year are my #1)
2. GnR- Appetite For Destruction
3. Miles Davis- Bitches Brew
4. Fleetwood Mac- Fleetwood Mac
5. Beatles- White Album
6. Marillion- Brave
7. Alan Parsons Project- Eye In The Sky
8. John Lennon- Imagine (just digging into this now, but damn those raw mixes are killer)
9. Jethro Tull- Heavy Horses
10. Jimi Hendrix- Electric Ladyland

Apart from the Beatles White Album being first on my list , my second to sixth are top notch and the last four 7th to tenth are all kinda tied .

I do this every year on reflection but usually only select five titles .

And some years my top disc is tied with one or two others .

Gonna be a blast for 2019 , especially given the fact we already have approximately 10 plus already announced so far and some of those are excellent albums before we've even had the chance to hear them in surround.

My surround purchases were waaaaay down for 2018. So many just available in those big big boxes. My listening took a sharp turn into current indi-rockish stuff on vinyl in the past year, neo-soul, and other goodies that will never be in surround.

1. The Band- Music from Big Pink
2. Pineapple Thief- Dissolution
3. Steven Wilson- Home Invasion
4. Chris Squire- Fish Out of Water

Uh oh--that's all I've got!

Beatles - White Album
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
John Lennon - Imagine
Jethro Tull - This Was
King Crimson - Meltdown Live in Mexico
Steven Wilson - Home Invasion
Engine-Earz Experiment - Symbol
Birdsong At Morning - Signs and Wonders
Hans Zimmer - Live In Prague
...and pretty much everything that I picked up from DV

Roxy Music - Roxy Music
Ayreon-Into The Electric Castle
Styx - The Mission
Marillion - Clutching at Straws
Fleetwood Mac -75 Fleetwood Mac
Beatles - White Album
John Lennon - Imagine
King Crimson - Meltdown Live in Mexico
The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
IQ-Ever

These might bump some in my top 10 list as just got these, not enough listens yet: Poco,Guess Who and Rick Derringer
and getting these next week:
Steven Wilson - Home Invasion
Ayreon-Universe
Birdsong At Morning - Signs and Wonders

i just can't do 5! its been too good a year!

1. Dutton Vocalion = far and away the best new surround things to come out in 2018 for me.. and there's been some competition! just some amazing surround releases by any measure, dream come true stuff personally!
(Poco : Cantamos & Seven, Billy Paul : 360 Degrees & War Of The Gods, Chase : S/T & Pure Music, Weather Report : Tale Spinnin', Hues Corporation : Rockin' Soul & Love Corporation, Art Garfunkel : Angel Clare & Breakaway, Johnnie Taylor : Eargasm & Rated Extraordinaire, Guess Who : Road Food & #10, Rick Derringer : All American Boy & Spring Fever) wow.. all that's old is new again! incredible.
2. Guns 'n Roses : Appetite For Destruction (the maestro's still got it!),
3. Alan Parsons Project : Eye In The Sky (fab! i only wish he would do more surround music mixing!),
4. Jethro Tull : This Was (to get this out of such limited multitracks = genius),
5. Miles Davis : Bitches Brew (7" Sony Japan SACD Quad gorgeousness),
6. John Lennon : Imagine (you get the Quad, a new 5.1 and a whole load pf goodies! especially the raw mixes on BD 2 are jaw-dropping and worth a QQ "10" in their own right!),
7. Jimi Hendrix : Electric Ladyland (an interesting take on the material and very surround-y!),
8. Robert Reed : Sanctuary III,
9. Jethro Tull : Heavy Horses,
10. Roxy Music : S/T,
11. Fleetwood Mac : S/T,
12. The Beatles : White Album
13. The Pineapple Thief : Dissolution

Yes I see those DV 'S in your listing as a FIRST Fredderico.........17 of em yet .
DV is well deserved of that honour I think . No one else is coming up with such price worthy older quads so they kinda bring down the house with those applause , encores.

I wish more labels would reconsider the" box only " madness that seems to be prevalent for reissues .

More single discs in surround would mean more people buying them and such promotion tends to expand new quadraphiles/surroundophiles who will purchase surround equipment.
Equipment manufacturers have a vested interest in any and all 4/5ch releases most especially if they also carry a record label that can issue surround.
Denon , and Sony are just two ....that have to step up to the plate and start issuing many and any more.

2019 will be something to witness if they keep prices down and start issuing from their vaults and new recordings.

I'm sure this has been stated before. It's such a no brainer.

1 Roxy Music
This release answered all of my wishes.

And then...
2 Jimi was released, oh my.

So, for me Mike, yes is the answer
This Mike just could not believe what was happening.

3 to 10
Sooo many other fantastic releases to fill my senses.
Which have been listed in all the previous posts.

And another huge shout out to Duttons' incredible output.
I have no hesitation in buying almost everything they release.

Last edited:

1. Dutton Vocalion = far and away the best new surround things to come out in 2018 for me.. and there's been some competition! just some amazing surround releases by any measure, dream come true stuff personally!
(Poco : Cantamos & Seven, Billy Paul : 360 Degrees & War Of The Gods, Chase : S/T & Pure Music, Weather Report : Tale Spinnin', Hues Corporation : Rockin' Soul & Love Corporation, Art Garfunkel : Angel Clare & Breakaway, Johnnie Taylor : Eargasm & Rated Extraordinaire, Guess Who : Road Food & #10, Rick Derringer : All American Boy & Spring Fever) wow.. all that's old is new again! incredible.
3. Alan Parsons Project : Eye In The Sky (fab! i only wish he would do more surround music mixing!),
4. Jethro Tull : This Was (to get this out of such limited multitracks = genius),
6. John Lennon : Imagine (you get the Quad, a new 5.1 and a whole load pf goodies! especially the raw mixes on BD 2 are jaw-dropping and worth a QQ "10" in their own right!),
7. Jimi Hendrix : Electric Ladyland (an interesting take on the material and very surround-y!),
a few there I had forgot about... it's certainly been a great year for surround music :51QQ

I can't come up with 10...but 5 strong releases...and it's no coincidence that they are classic albums...

Appetite For Destruction
Electric Ladyland
Music from Big Pink
Fleetwood Mac
White Album

There are several that I could have included...just about every Dutton release could be included if audio quality was the only requirement...but as most on here know...content is king for me and that is where Dutton doesn't make the grade for me..I enjoy most of the titles..but not enough to list them as standouts...but Art Garfunkel's Breakaway was close to making the list...now I l love Miles....and Bitches Brew is a masterpiece of sonic goodness...BUT...it's so intense that I might listen to it twice a year...at most...whereas a release like Miles Smiles would be listened to a lot..

First and foremost, HAPPY NEW YEAR to QQ Forum's MOST PROLIFIC POSTER ...... the Mile High 20K+ POSTS CLUB.:LB

Thank you for highlighting Dutton Vocalions awesomely prolific QUAD output as Numero UNO. A Spot well deserved.:)

I am also in accord with all your other choices.(y)

Back