2019+ Acura RDX: ELS 3D Studio 5.1 Surround Audio System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next Gen RDX finally announced, chip-shortage be damned. Fairly similar but with added features, like wireless Apple Car Play. Might be worth checking out:

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2022-rdx
I’ll need to check this one out, could be the year Mrs. Pupster finally pulls the trigger on a new car :unsure:
So the package you’d want is the:
“ELS Studio® 3D Premium Audio System with 16 Speakers” one then?
Not sure we’d go for that Earl Scheib lookin’ blue paint though -LOL

I don't know. I really don't dig that blue. I wonder if the regular Tech Package will be the same as the PMC. I also don't need AWD.

The Blue is only on the PMC.

One of the big changes for this year is that you can now get an A-Spec *with* the Advance package. That pretty much gives you a PMC, without the blue and without the hand made extra money.

My dealer has already called me and said he'd let me know when they get one of these in, probably in November. I will report back. I like the idea of the folding side mirrors and the Advance features on the A-SPEC. It also appears that the older 19-20-21 RDXs have incredibly high trade in values, even with high mileage, so that might be a factor in upgrading.

We'll see

Next Gen RDX finally announced, chip-shortage be damned. Fairly similar but with added features, like wireless Apple Car Play. Might be worth checking out:

FYI re: wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. I just took delivery of my new 2022 MDX A-SPEC. It has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto support. However if you connect your phone wirelessly, you will NOT be able to use the “USB Audio” feature even though the USB port is not being used. It appears to be a holdover from the old software when support for CarPlay and Android Auto required USB connectivity.

Therefore, you will have to“disconnect” your phone in order to enable USB Audio playback. In a nutshell, the wireless capability has been rendered useless.

FYI re: wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. I just took delivery of my new 2022 MDX A-SPEC. It has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto support. However if you connect your phone wirelessly, you will NOT be able to use the “USB Audio” feature even though the USB port is not being used. It appears to be a holdover from the old software when support for CarPlay and Android Auto required USB connectivity.

Therefore, you will have to“disconnect” your phone in order to enable USB Audio playback. In a nutshell, the wireless capability has been rendered useless.

That's a bummer for sure. It probably has to do with the CPU unit only being able to do one thing and not both. Oh well. Honestly, I only use CarPlay on long trips to get the Waze on the screen and I don't do many of those, so it's not a huge deal for me, although it's too bad it wasn't a factor

One more thing about the 2022 MDX (and possibly 2022 RDX and others). The infotainment system is more particular about the format of the flash drive (or SSD). The USB flash drive I used in my 2019 RDX would not work. All files were recognized by the system, but all had a “cannot play this format” error message.

The flash drive was originally formatted in exFAT. Reformatting to FAT32 solved the issue.

One more thing about the 2022 MDX (and possibly 2022 RDX and others). The infotainment system is more particular about the format of the flash drive (or SSD). The USB flash drive I used in my 2019 RDX would not work. All files were recognized by the system, but all had a “cannot play this format” error message.

The flash drive was originally formatted in exFAT. Reformatting to FAT32 solved the issue.

That's interesting. I found in the 2019 that exFAT worked everytime and FAT32 was hit or miss. Go figure!

My 2021 TLX/ASPEC has major WIRELESS charging issues; my IPhone 12 DISCHARGES; Apple & Acura working on a fix; lol
After upgrading to IOS 15, last week, my Apple Carplay has been rendered useless; Amazon Music, won't load; microphone directions, are non-existant, & my Itunes, have shifted from my 17 speaker ELS, to my IPhone
Hope Apple does something pronto
USB, Bluetooth, AM/FM, & Acura Navigation all working

A few more observations from the ELS Studio 3D system in my 2022 MDX A-SPEC.
  1. The system was able to play a FLAC file that was NOT compressed at Level 0. I was able to playback a file compressed at Level 8. I didn't try a file compressed at Levels 1-7.
  2. The system was able to play 7.1 FLAC files. I honestly did not attempt to do so in my 2019 RDX, so this may not be something new. I also created a 5.1 file of the same track to compare A/B. There were noticeable differences in the playback, meaning that the 7.1 file (if downmixed by the ELS System to 5.1 - who the hell knows) did not sound the same as the 5.1 file.
I encourage others who can to confirm my observations.

A few more observations from the ELS Studio 3D system in my 2022 MDX A-SPEC.
  1. The system was able to play a FLAC file that was NOT compressed at Level 0. I was able to playback a file compressed at Level 8. I didn't try a file compressed at Levels 1-7.
  2. The system was able to play 7.1 FLAC files. I honestly did not attempt to do so in my 2019 RDX, so this may not be something new. I also created a 5.1 file of the same track to compare A/B. There were noticeable differences in the playback, meaning that the 7.1 file (if downmixed by the ELS System to 5.1 - who the hell knows) did not sound the same as the 5.1 file.
I encourage others who can to confirm my observations.

Wow! That's cool. Have you created a test 7.1 file to see if it's totally discrete playback or a 5.1 fold down? That would be interesting

I had an opportunity to use some audio test files in the 2022 MDX, with disappointing results.

4.0 test file
FL and RL played in the front left channel and FR and RR played in the front right channel

5.1 test file
FL, FR, C, LFE, RL, and RR all played in the correct channels

7.1 test file
FL, SL, and RL played in the front left channel, C played in the center channel, LFE played through subwoofer, and FR, SR, and RR played in the front right channel.

So in summary...
4.0 = 2.0
5.1 = 5.1
7.1 = 3.1

I had an opportunity to use some audio test files in the 2022 MDX, with disappointing results.

4.0 test file
FL and RL played in the front left channel and FR and RR played in the front right channel

5.1 test file
FL, FR, C, LFE, RL, and RR all played in the correct channels

7.1 test file
FL, SL, and RL played in the front left channel, C played in the center channel, LFE played through subwoofer, and FR, SR, and RR played in the front right channel.

So in summary...
4.0 = 2.0
5.1 = 5.1
7.1 = 3.1
You should be able to add silent Center and LFE to those 4.0's to get them to work then LC?

I decided to go with American Muscle, the roar of the engine and pipes is music to my ears. That said it came with a Alpine speaker and amp set up, sounds pretty good. Can fine tune it pretty good via the UConnect display. I can play my SSD USB drive all types of FLAC 16 and 24 bit, another plus but stops there.
Maybe I will have to look into a better sound system after market but so far so good, enjoying the pure fun of driving.
2021 Challenger RT Shaker in my garage.
IMG_1388.jpg

I decided to go with American Muscle, the roar of the engine and pipes is music to my ears. That said it came with a Alpine speaker and amp set up, sounds pretty good. Can fine tune it pretty good via the UConnect display. I can play my SSD USB drive all types of FLAC 16 and 24 bit, another plus but stops there.
Maybe I will have to look into a better sound system after market but so far so good, enjoying the pure fun of driving.
2021 Challenger RT Shaker in my garage.
View attachment 72206

That's one bad ass ride!! My dad had a 1971 Challenger that I got to use on occasion. Always loved that car. Yours looks so much nicer! Love that RT stripe on the red

Like the MDX, the 2022 RDX eliminates the AUX input, so no CD possibility.

Where is this posted at?

Acura specifically says that the 2022 RDX has:

Bluetooth®11 Streaming Audio MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack Speed-Sensitive Volume Compensation (SVC) Maintenance Minder™ System

Last edited:
Back