2019+ Acura RDX: ELS 3D Studio 5.1 Surround Audio System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised this FAQ wasn't updated for the new Integra? Since that ELS 3d system can't play 24bit 48khz 5.1CH 0 compression flac files. .Wav files look to play from what a owner has tested.

Will the system play 24bit flac up to 352.8mhz? Not like it matters because of the pre 2022 RDX and current TLX has aux input to bypass convertion. I'll play pure DSD SACD RIPS natively.

Volvo plays 24bit 192khz max from the manual. Lexus ES,LS, LC, IS, and GX all have aux input.

Last edited:
Just want to send a HUGE thank you to Jon Urban for sharing his amazing research into playing 5.1 audio on the Acura ELS systems without a DVD-A player. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know what he would have done without access to his recipe for getting 5.1 files to play properly. My 2021 TLX arrived last week and I am absolutely loving the new ELS system. Thank you, Jon!!!!!!!

Just want to send a HUGE thank you to Jon Urban for sharing his amazing research into playing 5.1 audio on the Acura ELS systems without a DVD-A player. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know what he would have done without access to his recipe for getting 5.1 files to play properly. My 2021 TLX arrived last week and I am absolutely loving the new ELS system. Thank you, Jon!!!!!!!

My pleasure, although there are a lot other QQ folks here who have added important info to the pile - not just me!

My pleasure, although there are a lot other QQ folks here who have added important info to the pile - not just me!
Thanks for the reminder, Jon. And, yes, thank you to everyone who has contributed to these threads! It's definitely been an enlightening experience with the car this past week. I'm still struck by the fact that the vast majority of Acura owners have no idea what they are missing. The difference between the low-res/non-discreet content (AM/FM, Apple Play, MP3, etc.) and the legitimate 5.1 stuff is absolutely HUGE (which was also the case with my 2012 TL).

There are still some hiccups, as addressed in some of the previous posts. For now, though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the honeymoon phase and look forward to learning more about the system.

Thanks again!

I just wish they would fix the no device detected issue. I have a workaround, but it should be fixed by Acura. Other than that, it’s an awesome system that is super convenient using a 1TB hard drive and sounds great.

I just wish they would fix the no device detected issue. I have a workaround, but it should be fixed by Acura. Other than that, it’s an awesome system that is super convenient using a 1TB hard drive and sounds great.
Just out of curiosity, how is your drive formatted (exFAT, FAT32, etc.)?

I have personally had much fewer issues using a FAT32 formatted drive versus exFAT.

The worry is 5.1 48/24 .wav isn't playing in surround. He hasn't followed up to clarify if that's true and I haven't had the time to officially go test it.
what I played was Lennon Imagine which is not really the best surround to judge. it was converted from 5.1 Flac to wav and it did play was it surround I am not sure. I am going to convert both Rumors and Abraxas and will see how it goes. I had a a TL with DVD A remember how good Rumours sounded so we will see. Will report back.

I haven't had the "no device detected" issue yet, but it's only been a week. I have had issues with some files not being recognized - with no reason that I can detect.
There have been a few times where the system says "initializing" without anything happening, but I've been able to quickly work around that by unplugging and plugging the USB back in. I'm using a 1 TB SanDisk USB.
Also- I am currently playing 24/48 .wav files (not .flac) with 0 compression because the (presumably) new version of Foobar has a different menu option for the .flac selection on the "Choose Output File Format" than the one featured in the screen grab shared by Jon. There were two .flac options on the Foobar version I downloaded instead of one, and after testing both, neither would play in the car - but the .wav files play perfectly. I'm happy with that for now, but the only problem - as noted in this thread - is that the meta data doesn't get transferred completely. Hoping to re-convert those files once I figure out the correct output settings. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

what I played was Lennon Imagine which is not really the best surround to judge. it was converted from 5.1 Flac to wav and it did play was it surround I am not sure. I am going to convert both Rumors and Abraxas and will see how it goes. I had a a TL with DVD A remember how good Rumours sounded so we will see. Will report back.
I may be able to share some perspective on the Rumours conversions vs. the DVD-A in the TL. I was driving a 2012 TL three weeks ago, but it was totaled when an unlicensed driver rear-ended me. I'm now driving the 2021 TLX with the ELS 3D Studio system. Very familiar with that album as a DVD-A, a 96/24 .flac and now as a 24/48 .wav. My assessment is that Rumours definitely holds up in the new car. Granted, it's a step down in resolution. But the separation is still discreet and clean - and the improvements with the additional speakers, subwoofer and increased power might make up for any "lossy" issues -(if they exist, I couldn't detect them on those tracks) Bottom line: that album sounds absolutely fantastic. It's warm, clean and powerful.

It's been interesting to see which tracks really work well in the TLX with the 24/48 conversion recipe. Some actually sound a bit better than the TL set up because of the hardware improvements I just noted. Some of my favorite demonstration tracks so far include "Ventura Highway", "Life in the Fast Lane" (and anything else Elliot Scheiner touched). "Dragon Attack" by Queen is another winner. Love the Linda Rondstadt "What's New" selections. And, the Elton John stuff is phenomenal (which probably isn't a surprise).

Meanwhile, there are some tracks that suffer a bit because of the weird fader set up that Jon mentioned in an earlier thread. The rears can be a bit distant on some tracks, and there doesn't seem to be a way to effectively adjust it, despite the fancy graphics on the fader display. The issue is more pronounced on tracks with super aggressive surround mixes - like "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm thinking the issue may also be the fact that the car is longer than the TL - so the physical distance from the driver's seat the the rears is greater. Overall, though, even those tracks sound great.

Last edited:
So.. after two weeks of driving my 2021 Acura TLX, I'm also starting to have the "no device detected" issue occasionally. Did you ever resolve it on your end? And do you mind me asking what your workaround was? Thank you!!!

So.. after two weeks of driving my 2021 Acura TLX, I'm also starting to have the "no device detected" issue occasionally. Did you ever resolve it on your end? And do you mind me asking what your workaround was? Thank you!!!
The short answer is no I have not resolved the issue. I still need to try LennonCobains suggestion to format my HD FAT32 vs exFAT to see if that reduces the occurrence. Meanwhile the “workaround” is turn the system off, turn the car off and open the door. When you restart the car, the system reboots and the issue is resolved. I’ve expressed my displeasure to the dealer but unfortunately Acura is unwilling to fix the problem.

Another “fix” to try is to not leave the audio system in USB Audio when turning off the car (before opening the driver’s door after turning off the engine). Switch it to FM Radio.

It might be a pain, but this will help to avoid those “initializing” messages that may arise the next time you start the engine.

I do that as well, but it’s not 100% effective.. It seems the usb buss gets hung intermittently and a hard restart clears that issue. I’ve questioned the dealer that I can’t believe this can’t be addressed in an update Do you have an alternate method other than turning off the vehicle?

I may be able to share some perspective on the Rumours conversions vs. the DVD-A in the TL. I was driving a 2012 TL three weeks ago, but it was totaled when an unlicensed driver rear-ended me. I'm now driving the 2021 TLX with the ELS 3D Studio system. Very familiar with that album as a DVD-A, a 96/24 .flac and now as a 24/48 .wav. My assessment is that Rumours definitely holds up in the new car. Granted, it's a step down in resolution. But the separation is still discreet and clean - and the improvements with the additional speakers, subwoofer and increased power might make up for any "lossy" issues -(if they exist, I couldn't detect them on those tracks) Bottom line: that album sounds absolutely fantastic. It's warm, clean and powerful.

It's been interesting to see which tracks really work well in the TLX with the 24/48 conversion recipe. Some actually sound a bit better than the TL set up because of the hardware improvements I just noted. Some of my favorite demonstration tracks so far include "Ventura Highway", "Life in the Fast Lane" (and anything else Elliot Scheiner touched). "Dragon Attack" by Queen is another winner. Love the Linda Rondstadt "What's New" selections. And, the Elton John stuff is phenomenal (which probably isn't a surprise).

Meanwhile, there are some tracks that suffer a bit because of the weird fader set up that Jon mentioned in an earlier thread. The rears can be a bit distant on some tracks, and there doesn't seem to be a way to effectively adjust it, despite the fancy graphics on the fader display. The issue is more pronounced on tracks with super aggressive surround mixes - like "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm thinking the issue may also be the fact that the car is longer than the TL - so the physical distance from the driver's seat the the rears is greater. Overall, though, even those tracks sound great
So far I listened to Rumors, Hotel California and Abraxas converted from Flac5.1 to Wav and it sounds good. I did find I had to adjust the backs up a little but I was definitely listening to surround. Did it sound as good as my TL with DVD A ? No it didn't I don't believe anything could come close to being that immersive from what I recalled, did I like what I heard yes I did.

I really enjoy reading all this information about the Acura.
I built a 5.1 surround in my Challenger.
I had a problem similar to your guys USB no device detected.
I have a loose JL Audio USB female in the glove box.
I would insert my Fat32 drive in and would play perfect, but once in awhile I would hit some random bump and my music would stop playing and I would have to restart the Cambridge CXU in the trunk, pain in the ass.
I finally got aggressive with locating the problem and it was the USB female in the glove box. The inserted USB would be a tiny bit loose and lose connection.
It was easy for me to fix, I used pliers and just squeezed the female USB and now have a rock solid connection, never happens anymore.
I know in the Acura you would have to get behind the dash or console where ever the connector is but I would try that as I am sure your Acura dealer would never suggest that.
Hopefully this might be a little helpful.

Today is BIG day. Today I finally get my new 2023 Acura TLX Advance package (Metalic silver w/ ebony interior). The car just came in to the dealership yesterday (I pre-ordered it and it was transferred from another location) and I'm picking it up today. My previous car is a 2011 TSX, and I adore the DVD-AUDIO sound system, but now that is my daughter's car (which means I can still go back and drive it). So now I have to start figuring out how to play high-quality and multi-channel music in this new car with ELS STUDIO 3D® Premium Audio System. Thankful that @JonUrban has already done the real work to help the rest of us get to listening much quicker and with less frustration. I've read through the instructions before, but now I need to really dig into to this post and get myself setup to enjoy surround sound in my new car. I'll post how things are going as I make progress. My first assignment is to figure out which USB drive I need to have. I generally shoot for the fastest option with the most storage, but maybe that isnt the best option. i'll start reading and post any questions/findings. Wish me luck!

Back