2019 Acura RDX - USB 5.1? VERIFIED!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have to say this isn't what I was hoping to hear :(

The Facebook page mentioned WAV 5.1 48/24 works as well, so maybe try that next time

Will still do my own test drive when the cars arrive at my local dealer...
Good to know about 48/24... thanks for the heads up.

Thanks James. That is a bummer. However, it will probably make my wife and my bank account very happy.

We'll see how this plays out, but I think you gave it a great shot.

If it would play 24/48 5.1 that would still be great. (I am increasingly doubtful though). Did Audi ever make a 5.1 system?

My 2009 Audi A5 plays DTS DVDs in 5.1 but doesn’t play FLAC or DTS CDs. I believe the latest models can play FLAC and can do 5.1 but I don’t know if the play 5.1 FLAC.

Lexus has an optional Mark Levinson 7.1 system. Not sure if it does MCH FLAC. This may be available in Toyota’s too???

Land Rover/Jaguar has a 5.1 system that does play 5.1 FLAC.

If it would play 24/48 5.1 that would still be great. (I am increasingly doubtful though). Did Audi ever make a 5.1 system?
They had a 'simulated' 5.1 which I didn't bother with in my A4 (got it in 2014), but it now seems that 5.1 is only in the new RS6 & RS7. Looking at the Jaguar XE & XF as there is a Meridian 5.1 option.

Hi there,

my new BMW 320 with Harman Kardon Soundsystem plays 5.1 Flac files from USB :) If there’s some interest, I am happy to share more details.

Cheers,
Andreas
This is very interesting to hear. Is the playback true, discrete multichannel (discrete Logic 7) or faux-surround (Logic 7)?

This is very interesting to hear. Is the playback true, discrete multichannel (discrete Logic 7) or faux-surround (Logic 7)?

There's a Setting (Logic 7 Surround), when it's switched off, the 5.1 is discrete. The next picture shows the center Speaker, the other one the USB drive in the compartment between the front seats (it's covered by the armrest).

Attachments

• WP_20180530_20_15_03_Pro-.jpg
    WP_20180530_20_15_03_Pro-.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 142
  • WP_20180530_20_15_51_Pro-.jpg
    WP_20180530_20_15_51_Pro-.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 143
  • WP_20180530_20_16_32_Pro-.jpg
    WP_20180530_20_16_32_Pro-.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 140
Hi there,

my new BMW 320 with Harman Kardon Soundsystem plays 5.1 Flac files from USB :) If there’s some interest, I am happy to share more details.

Cheers,
Andreas

That's very interesting because that Harmon Kardon system is available across many of the BMW models...not just the more expensive models..it just too bad most of the salesman don't know anything about surround sound...did your salesman know about this capability?

Well, this is getting crazy. 9 minutes ago ELS posted this on their FB page in response to a question from a fan (QQ'er?)

Here's another clue for the brood - the walrus was Snood................

ELS Facebook May 30-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's very interesting because that Harmon Kardon system is available across many of the BMW models...not just the more expensive models..it just too bad most of the salesman don't know anything about surround sound...did your salesman know about this capability?

It’s a company car, there was a generous budget available for ‘extras’. After I picked all the ‘must haves’ there was still money left. So I thought what the heck and just ordered it.

In fact there is very little information to be found on the web about this sound system. And we all know how small the surround community is, can we expect that a salesman for cars knows the details which are relevant for us?

By the way, I just copy the files from my regular NAS to USB stick. The system plays full hi-rez 96 KHz, no conversion needed. I am still trying different genres, but I can tell already that electronic music sounds best so far (e.g. blu man group/audio, jarre/aero. Wilson mixes with singer in the center (Marillion) not so great. Hans Zimmer/live in Prague is great as well!

Well, this is getting crazy. 9 minutes ago ELS posted this on their FB page in response to a question from a fan (QQ'er?)

Here's another clue for the brood - the walrus was Snood................

View attachment 33056

It's a shame Acura can't seem to filter down the information to the dealer level.....it seems none of these car companies care about audio..

It’s a company car, there was a generous budget available for ‘extras’. After I picked all the ‘must haves’ there was still money left. So I thought what the heck and just ordered it.

In fact there is very little information to be found on the web about this sound system. And we all know how small the surround community is, can we expect that a salesman for cars knows the details which are relevant for us?

By the way, I just copy the files from my regular NAS to USB stick. The system plays full hi-rez 96 KHz, no conversion needed. I am still trying different genres, but I can tell already that electronic music sounds best so far (e.g. blu man group/audio, jarre/aero. Wilson mixes with singer in the center (Marillion) not so great. Hans Zimmer/live in Prague is great as well!

IMO a car salesman should know everything about what he is selling...every option and accessory...I really don't think that is asking too much...not to mention the fact that it's a selling point to some people...and anything that helps get a sale is important information for a car salesman...

Hi there,

Cheers,
Andreas

I would love details. Does it then play it as 6 channel or does it down mix to stereo. Is the FLAC at 24/96, 24/48, 16/44? What does the system look like. (I am an Acura guy who is wondering where to go if indeed the new RDX doesn't play 5.1).

Bender

Back