2019 Acura RDX - USB 5.1? VERIFIED!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will see what happens tomorrow. ELS's facebook page again claimed that they support 5.1 wav and flac, so I have one USB stick formatted FAT, and one formatted NTFS. They both have a 5.1 file in 6 formats. 16/44, 24/48, 24/96 .flac and .wav. One of these buggers better work!

Look for a full report (with pictures if possible) tomorrow evening, EDT.

I will see what happens tomorrow. ELS's facebook page again claimed that they support 5.1 wav and flac, so I have one USB stick formatted FAT, and one formatted NTFS. They both have a 5.1 file in 6 formats. 16/44, 24/48, 24/96 .flac and .wav. One of these buggers better work!

Look for a full report (with pictures if possible) tomorrow evening, EDT.

My obsession: Is it gapless?

Hope the ELS Studio 3D audio system sounds good because it will cost me over $48K!

Attachments

• 16905BE1-DF44-4EE2-8606-27E3C5DC536E.jpeg
    16905BE1-DF44-4EE2-8606-27E3C5DC536E.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 201
Hmmmm. This is interesting, but not totally positive.

I brought 2 USB sticks with tunes on them and gave it a shot. The salesman was very cool and let me play for a while. Once we figured out how to access the stick and play the files, we were off and running. Most of the .flac's returned "unrecognized format". I didn't pursue it any further. But the 24-48 and 24-96 5.1 wav files did play.

I did not have a test tone file with me, as I didn't have time yesterday to put one together, so I had to go by ear on the music tracks that were on the stick. I can pretty much verify that the center speaker IS the center channel of a 5.1 file. Many of the files that played had a Steven Wilson-type vocals in the center only mix, and sure enough, the center speaker in the dash had the vocal spot on center. It was not in any of the other speakers.

However, the 4 other channels were very hard to "find". Since this system has so many speakers, I am really not sure which ones are supposed to be what channel. The routing of the audio to these speakers is a mystery, as there is no clearly defined FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT as you would have if there were only 4 speakers with a center. I recall in one of my older Acura's that the rear doors actually had front channel info routed to them, and before I realized that I thought I had screwed up in my DVD-A creation.

So, without a test tone file, it's hard to tell what speakers are assigned to what channel.

Since I was more interested in "if it played" than "how it sounded", I did not futz with the bass/treble/balance or any of that stuff, but will next time. I didn't drive the car or kick the tires, but the interior was very cool and a bit un-natural, with respect to changing gears and using the screen. The touch pad does take some getting used to, as unlike a laptop touchpad, this one has no "button", so you drag to a location and just press. It would obviously take a bit to get used to the whole thing.

The heads up display is a bit spooky. The all around camera is odd looking, and the display screen does not recede into the dash when not used.

Sorry, no pictures. All of the RDX's at the dealer were sold and in the back. I got to go back there and play, but it was not conducive to picture taking.

One thing that struck me as being a future REAL ANNOYANCE is that there is no tree structure to the files on the USB stick, it just picks a file and starts from there. This would mean a user would be better of with a lot of little sticks than one giant stick. Maybe I missed something, but this is pretty crappy, IMHO. I was expecting something like Oppo gives you with their players.

So, unfortunately, my answer to the ultimate question here is "Not sure". The key is the speaker mapping of the main 4 channels. Yes, it does play the files, so in that sense the ELS guy was right, it does PLAY THE FILES. But does it play the files properly? That, sadly, remains to be seen - by me.

Now you guys try!! :)

Hmmmm. This is interesting, but not totally positive.

I brought 2 USB sticks with tunes on them and gave it a shot. The salesman was very cool and let me play for a while. Once we figured out how to access the stick and play the files, we were off and running. Most of the .flac's returned "unrecognized format". I didn't pursue it any further. But the 24-48 and 24-96 5.1 wav files did play.

I did not have a test tone file with me, as I didn't have time yesterday to put one together, so I had to go by ear on the music tracks that were on the stick. I can pretty much verify that the center speaker IS the center channel of a 5.1 file. Many of the files that played had a Steven Wilson-type vocals in the center only mix, and sure enough, the center speaker in the dash had the vocal spot on center. It was not in any of the other speakers.

However, the 4 other channels were very hard to "find". Since this system has so many speakers, I am really not sure which ones are supposed to be what channel. The routing of the audio to these speakers is a mystery, as there is no clearly defined FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT as you would have if there were only 4 speakers with a center. I recall in one of my older Acura's that the rear doors actually had front channel info routed to them, and before I realized that I thought I had screwed up in my DVD-A creation.

So, without a test tone file, it's hard to tell what speakers are assigned to what channel.

Since I was more interested in "if it played" than "how it sounded", I did not futz with the bass/treble/balance or any of that stuff, but will next time. I didn't drive the car or kick the tires, but the interior was very cool and a bit un-natural, with respect to changing gears and using the screen. The touch pad does take some getting used to, as unlike a laptop touchpad, this one has no "button", so you drag to a location and just press. It would obviously take a bit to get used to the whole thing.

The heads up display is a bit spooky. The all around camera is odd looking, and the display screen does not recede into the dash when not used.

Sorry, no pictures. All of the RDX's at the dealer were sold and in the back. I got to go back there and play, but it was not conducive to picture taking.

One thing that struck me as being a future REAL ANNOYANCE is that there is no tree structure to the files on the USB stick, it just picks a file and starts from there. This would mean a user would be better of with a lot of little sticks than one giant stick. Maybe I missed something, but this is pretty crappy, IMHO. I was expecting something like Oppo gives you with their players.

So, unfortunately, my answer to the ultimate question here is "Not sure". The key is the speaker mapping of the main 4 channels. Yes, it does play the files, so in that sense the ELS guy was right, it does PLAY THE FILES. But does it play the files properly? That, sadly, remains to be seen - by me.

Now you guys try!! :)

I'm curious...is the dealership large? I imagine the RDX's that were already sold must have been on a waiting list to get sold that quickly...

Hey Jon. When I first played FLACs on the Land Rover’s Meridian system the files appeared as just a sorted list (not tree structure - every FLAC on the USB in the list) but I discovered later there’s a view that was album based. I had my song FLACs in Album folders. Maybe the RX has something similar?

OK brothers (and sisters), I went back loaded with the following 5 files I created myself, from the center channel of "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant". I took a few bars of Billy's isolated vocal and placed that in each channel solo. These are the files (right click and 'Save Link As': )

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/test51.zip

These were the only files on the stick, and the track names were the channel IDs. Fired up the car, fired up the USB input, let it play and it played perfectly. Backs in the backs, fronts in the fronts, center in the center. That's a big Woo-Hoo for those who can afford to buy or lease this car. For those who cannot, well, I am sure y'all don't give a rats ass, but hey, been there, done that. At this point in my life, I am stretching it to go for it, but now I probably will.

Anyway, I have to admit yesterday when I brought 5.1 music it was hard to tell about the channel placement because of this: There are 16 speakers, and they are NOT hard coded. What does that mean, well, when RIGHT FRONT has audio, the majority of the right front is heard in the batch of speakers that is the right front, but there is a bit of bleed into the other speaker arrays. You cannot always hear it, but if you put your hand up to the speakers, you can feel it. Listening from the front or back seats, the RIGHT FRONT comes from the right front door and windshield column, and the passenger front ceiling speaker at full volume, but the rear speakers are still moving some air. But nowhere near as the assigned speakers.

So there has to be some distribution from the ELS 3D amp that sends the audio to the 16 speakers and it appears that there is a bit of bleed. But to my ears, in the drivers seat, when this file played RIGHT REAR, the majority of the audio is coming from the RIGHT REAR.

I got a bit off-track and did not adjust the F/R balance with the controls. I probably should have. If I manage to pool together enough funds to buy one of these I will of course give it a real detailed test. But the salesman at my dealer was very cool and let me play around with this and was in fact a bit fascinated as well!

So, the ELS guy was right, it does play discrete 5.1 24/48 .wav files, that is a fact.

More later........................

Last edited:
OK brothers (and sisters), I went back loaded with the following 5 files I created myself, from the center channel of "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant". I took a few bars of Billy's isolated vocal and placed that in each channel solo. These are the files (right click and 'Save Link As': )

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/test51.zip

These were the only files on the stick, and the track names were the channel IDs. Fired up the car, fired up the USB input, let it play and it played perfectly. Backs in the backs, fronts in the fronts, center in the center. That's a big Woo-Hoo for those who can afford to buy or lease this car. For those who cannot, well, I am sure y'all don't give a rats ass, but hey, been there, done that. At this point in my life, I am stretching it to go for it, but now I probably will.

Anyway, I have to admit yesterday when I brought 5.1 music it was hard to tell about the channel placement because of this: There are 16 speakers, and they are NOT hard coded. What does that mean, well, when RIGHT FRONT has audio, the majority of the right front is heard in the batch of speakers that is the right front, but there is a bit of bleed into the other speaker arrays. You cannot always hear it, but if you put your hand up to the speakers, you can feel it. Listening from the front or back seats, the RIGHT FRONT comes from the right front door and windshield column, and the passenger front ceiling speaker at full volume, but the rear speakers are still moving some air. But nowhere near as the assigned speakers.

So there has to be some distribution from the ELS 3D amp that sends the audio to the 16 speakers and it appears that there is a bit of bleed. But to my ears, in the drivers seat, when this file played RIGHT REAR, the majority of the audio is coming from the RIGHT REAR.

I got a bit off-track and did not adjust the F/R balance with the controls. I probably should have. If I manage to pool together enough funds to buy one of these I will of course give it a real detailed test. But the salesman at my dealer was very cool and let me play around with this and was in fact a bit fascinated as well!

So, the ELS guy was right, it does play discrete 5.1 24/48 .wav files, that is a fact.

More later........................

How about something that is not tech based...just an opinion...how does it sound....do you like the quality of the speakers?

I just got back from my dealership and for whatever reason, it didn't work! I came with eight 48/24 5.1 WAV files and none of them played :(

I have to assume I made some sort of encoding mistake. Jon- can you go into specific detail about how you made the files? Like which programs you used, etc. I'm planning on going back next weekend...hopefully with more success.

IMG_5393.JPG

Hmm. Did you make sure the DTS-NEO was turned off? (Or whatever it's called)

I used a USB stick with the 5 files I attached above, and they played flawlessly. I created them in Sound Forge. They were 5.1, not 4.0. Maybe the system can't understand a 4.0 wav file unless it's created with an empty center and LFE. Just guessing, as I did not try a quad file, and from the display above it seems like you were using "Angry Eyes" from the AF SACD.

Hmm. Did you make sure the DTS-NEO was turned off? (Or whatever it's called)

I used a USB stick with the 5 files I attached above, and they played flawlessly. I created them in Sound Forge. They were 5.1, not 4.0. Maybe the system can't understand a 4.0 wav file unless it's created with an empty center and LFE. Just guessing, as I did not try a quad file, and from the display above it seems like you were using "Angry Eyes" from the AF SACD.

I put a few 5.1 tracks and a few quad tracks with empty C/Sub (such as "Angry Eyes"), none of which played.

Don't have soundforge, so I opened them in audacity, changed the sample rate to 48000, and saved as "WAV 32 point float". I have to assume that was the mistake as there was also an option for "WAV 16 point fixed". Or maybe it's just audacity...I noticed WAV 5.1 of varying sample rates is an output option on DVD-Audio Extractor as well, so I may try that.

You got it to work, so it's definitely possible :). The mistake must be on my end

Last edited:
That 32 bit float was probably the issue. Many people use that but I never do - ever. For some reason it really screws things up for a lot of playback software. So Audacity does not let you save as a pure 24/48? I never used it so I don't know.

Download the zip file I linked above to bring with you as well. I know those work. They are 5.1 wav files, but each one only has audio in a single channel. They clearly identify the channel spread in the car.

And-999 mentions that the BMW 3 series features a Harmon Kardon system that plays 5.1 FLAC when the logic system 7 is turned off. Does anyone know if the US version does this? 5.1 discrete FLAC is really appealing. (I do wait for Jon's impressions of how the new RDX sounds compared to the old). I never considered having everything on flash drives. (Currently I have 4 DVD Case books, with my multi-channel collection in the car - if it gets stolen, I am so royally screwed - many are out of print titles that would cost a small fortune to repurchase).

Here's an audio page from the user manual (you can download it over at the acura forum)

Maybe some of these settings are interfering with some folks attempts at playing 5.1 wav files. What the heck is that Compressed Audio Enhancement setting?? Yikes!

RDX adjusting the sound.jpg

Thank you for the post!!

Could someone a lot more tech head than me explain the term "MOST bus"?

(I am happy to know there is a 24/48 5.1 system out there. If anyone gets a good chance to listen to this, please give me your take. I am not in the market for a new car now, but in a few years, I may be seeking a used 2018 RDX. :)

Back