2019 Acura RDX - USB 5.1? VERIFIED!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I was on the right path regarding compression. Now I can buy the RDX without worries! Thanks Jon for the update.

Then you too are now designated an "Official QQ Genius" :SG

You are right about "the look", it looks so much better with the tagging info. I will now be able to do my review post on the car without having to give it an "incomplete"!

So FLAC 24/48 with no compression (via foobar) and embedded cover art (mp3tag) is the ticket? I've gotta go try this. Great work figuring it out everyone!

Foobar allows you to tag and add artwork directly, so I'm guessing you can bypass mp3tag altogether. Maybe Jon can confirm.

When I visited the dealer yesterday, I had created and tagged all files using Foobar. The 2.0 FLACs played perfectly (despite compression level other than 0).

You are a GENIUS!! After digesting this post, I tried to download the official windows .flac thing, but it was giving me errors, so I went back to Foobar, set the compression to ZERO, added the tags and all, and went down to the car expecting another failure, then BOOM!!

IT WORKED!! 5.1 24/48 .flac playing in the car with the album graphic and information!!! Unreal! ELS was right, they just did not give us the specs needed for the file. Zero compression is fine with me, I can always buy more USB sticks. Having the graphics and album data just finishes it all off so nicely.

THANKS!!!! Now I can do my write-up/review!

Oh wow, I'm really glad to hear that! I thought it was a major long shot, but was starting to think in terms of what kind of hypothetical delaying tactics customer service might employ. :)

I wonder if the same limitation applies to 2.0 files. If it does, I'd expect them to have to deal with a lot of very annoyed customers. The last time I bought something from HDTracks I noticed that they FLACed it using something that creates even smaller files than the official FLAC program at its maximum compression settings. Everything played fine for me, but I wonder if others had problems.

As for the compression level and space, I just did a quick and dirty test with a single song:

45,475,964 bytes - WAV file
30,725,179 bytes - compression level 0
28,347,139 bytes - compression level 8 + other paranoid optimizations

So even with level 0 you're saving some space. And the time it takes to do the actual compression even on a single file is dramatically less.

Is there a way to change the compression level of existing FLAC files? Or must you create a new file (e.g. export to WAV and convert to zero compression FLAC)?

Is there a way to change the compression level of existing FLAC files? Or must you create a new file (e.g. export to WAV and convert to zero compression FLAC)?

Command-line FLAC will accept a FLAC file as input:

Code:
flac -o flac8file.flac -0 flac0file.flac

Even easier, you can just force FLAC to overwrite the existing file using the same name:

Code:
flac -0 flac8file.flac --force

Command-line FLAC will accept a FLAC file as input:

There are two catches, though:

1. You'll get a scary FAILURE: message from FLAC because the output file is bigger than the input file. But you already know to expect that.
  2. A much bigger deal is that while you'll keep all your tags for artist, album, etc. you'll lose any embedded artwork. If you really need to do a lot of this, you'll be happier figuring out a script/batch file to automate the process.

Is there any interest in test files? I can think of a few possibilities:

1. Anything other than 5.1, e.g. 5.0 or 4.0 or even 3.0
  2. File + separate cue sheet
  3. File with cue sheet embedded in CUESHEET tag
  4. File with cue sheet embedded in CUESHEET block
I can work something up if anyone wants it.

Back