2019 "Immersive Audio Album" Grammy nominees

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Eye In The Sky - 35th Anniversary Edition
Alan Parsons, surround mix engineer; Dave Donnelly, PJ Olsson & Alan Parsons, surround mastering engineers; Alan Parsons, surround producer (The Alan Parsons Project)

Folketoner
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Anne Karin Sundal-Ask & Det Norske Jentekor)

Seven Words From The Cross
Daniel Shores, surround mix engineer; Daniel Shores, surround mastering engineer; Dan Merceruio, surround producer (Matthew Guard & Skylark)

Sommerro: Ujamaa & The Iceberg
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Ingar Heine Bergby, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra & Choir)

Symbol
Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround mix engineers; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround producers (Engine-Earz Experiment)

Let the debates begin!

And Appetite For Destruction, Electric Ladyland, Imagine, The White Album, and The Mission.

:(

Electric Ladyland and The White Album would not be eligible as the cut off date for this year's Grammys is September 30th. They will both be eligible next year.

Appetite For Destruction is a surprising omission, given that it's an Elliot Scheiner mix and that Elliot has been popular with the Grammy folks in the past.

Last edited:
Not including Black Sea, A Farewell To Kings, Roxy Music, Heavy Horses or Brave is a travesty, right?

What I read about this last year is that the label actually has to submit a recording for the Academy's consideration in order for it to be nominated. If they don't submit it, then as far as the Recording Academy is concerned, it doesn't exist.

Eye In The Sky - 35th Anniversary Edition
Alan Parsons, surround mix engineer; Dave Donnelly, PJ Olsson & Alan Parsons, surround mastering engineers; Alan Parsons, surround producer (The Alan Parsons Project)

Folketoner
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Anne Karin Sundal-Ask & Det Norske Jentekor)

Daniel Shores, surround mix engineer; Daniel Shores, surround mastering engineer; Dan Merceruio, surround producer (Matthew Guard & Skylark)

Sommerro: Ujamaa & The Iceberg
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Ingar Heine Bergby, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra & Choir)

Symbol
Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround mix engineers; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround producers (Engine-Earz Experiment)

Let the debates begin!

“Eye in the Sky” needs to win!

:)

What I read about this last year is that the label actually has to submit a recording for the Academy's consideration in order for it to be nominated. If they don't submit it, then as far as the Recording Academy is concerned, it doesn't exist.

Well, apparently Morten Lindberg's label really loves him. His two new nominations give him a career total of seventeen nominations in this category alone. He still has yet to win one though. He holds the record as the person with the most Grammy nominations without ever having won one. Including all categories, he has now received twenty-six nominations. Adam, he probably deserves an entry on your "Notable" list!

Electric Ladyland and The White Album would not be eligible as the cut off date for this year's Grammys is September 30th. They will both be eligible next year.

Appetite For Destruction is a surprising omission, given that it's an Elliot Scheiner mix and that Elliot has been popular with the Grammy folks in the past.

Maybe it wasn't submitted...just saying...or maybe the content was just a little too risqué for the judges...you have the noble classical music and then there is Axl Rose and the rowdies:ROFLMAO:..I'm not familiar with Symbol...but anything with Ronald Prent and Darcy Proper deserves consideration....probably the most underrated "team" in the industry IMO

Engine-Earz Experiment is an excellent albeit left field choice. Electronica along the lines of BT. It’s a reference style mix in both 5.1 DTS HD MA and 9.1 Auro 3D. Highly recommended[emoji106]
Second that, absolutely happy with the purchase (and I yet have to upgrade to Atmos/Auro). Anyway, surprised that this title got nominated over INXS – Kick or R.E.M. – Automatic For The People.

Last edited:
I've only heard of one of those. :)

And I'm 100% pluperfect positive it's THIS one Gene:

LOL!

Well, apparently Morten Lindberg's label really loves him. His two new nominations give him a career total of seventeen nominations in this category alone. He still has yet to win one though. He holds the record as the person with the most Grammy nominations without ever having won one. Including all categories, he has now received twenty-six nominations. Adam, he probably deserves an entry on your "Notable" list!
I believe he runs 2L, so I assume he loves himself :). And for all the talk about how great our favorite pop albums sound, 2L releases are in a different league from any of them in terms of sound quality.

The difficulty with 2L is that with a few exceptions, even for classical fans their releases tend to be really esoteric. It's not really good outreach for surround audio because there's a tiny audience for what they're releasing. But they're the best engineered sound recordings ever made, at least arguably. I'd recommend their albums like Souvenir and Reflections, which are closer to mainstream classical material.

I believe he runs 2L, so I assume he loves himself :). And for all the talk about how great our favorite pop albums sound, 2L releases are in a different league from any of them in terms of sound quality.

The difficulty with 2L is that with a few exceptions, even for classical fans their releases tend to be really esoteric. It's not really good outreach for surround audio because there's a tiny audience for what they're releasing. But they're the best engineered sound recordings ever made, at least arguably. I'd recommend their albums like Souvenir and Reflections, which are closer to mainstream classical material.

Good point, ubertrout, and like Sono Luminus, a hit or miss repertoire among more 'mainstream' listeners. Both have admirable state of the art recording approaches but perspective buyers would be well advised to sample each and every album before initiating purchases.

Good point, ubertrout, and like Sono Luminus, a hit or miss repertoire among more 'mainstream' listeners. Both have admirable state of the art recording approaches but perspective buyers would be well advised to sample each and every album before initiating purchases.
The question I have for 2L is where's the money coming from - surely they're not turning a profit on their releases. Sono Luminus is, as I understand it, a retirement project of the founders of Cisco Systems, so profit doesn't enter into the equation.

The question I have for 2L is where's the money coming from - surely they're not turning a profit on their releases. Sono Luminus is, as I understand it, a retirement project of the founders of Cisco Systems, so profit doesn't enter into the equation.

I'm sure 2L's Morten Lindberg has some pretty deep pockets himself or else their repertoire wouldn't be so 'willy nilly!'

I wonder if the committee would notice the severe lack of bass on Michelle and I Think About You...

Here we go again...the are many factors that go into the Grammy nomination & voting process. Much has to do with the membership requirements and specifically in the case of the Immersive category, the audio engineering committee. Once a recording clears all the qualifying hurdles for consideration, they first find themselves at the mercy of the audio engineering committee - an old boy network if there ever was one - ES is a senior member. This committee determines the nominations that will be voted on by the general NARAS membership - who most likely will be clueless about the quality of each individual mix. The politicking and posturing takes place during the nomination process - so you better have a seat at the table or someone very influencial in your corner. So unless you are ready to wine and dine a bunch of dusty old engineers to get your own nom - I expect that you will find yourself on the outside. SW does not strike me as that type of individual. For more dets on the process - check our this link from NARAS
https://www.grammy.com/recording-academy/faq#overview

Recommended reading over a coffee and bagel (mit a smear)

Back