2020 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I was excited until I saw the price of $40.00.
Its hard to put a price on art but for a BDA this is a little high

I was excited until I saw the price of $40.00.
Its hard to put a price on art but for a BDA this is a little high
It is a bit high but when you consider how small our market is, and the amount of time that must be being spent doing all the extra mixing for 5.1 DD, Atmos, and a 7.1.4 Auros tracks, I don't think the margin is huge. I have both BD's done in the same manner by the Big Phat Band drummer Bernie Dresel (Bern Bern Bern & Live N' Burnin) and they really are something special. For those of us who have the gear to take advantage of the immersive formats at high def data rates the sound quality is incredible. You'll pay near as much or more for most plain ole 2ch HD stuff. (I won't even mention new vinyl).
I'll only make one more plug here, I'm retired and living on a very small fixed income, and these new recording can hurt a bit. But if we don't support the few guys out there doing new multich recordings, the well is guaranteed to dry completely up sooner than later. Personally I'm hoping for a resurgence of the multich market.
For any interested and aren't aware, here's the link to the Bernie Dresel recordings. They're available now and even a bit cheaper. ;)
https://www.berniedresel.com/home
image-asset.png

I must say I stand corrected by the above two posts.
And I realize I didn't even think of the expense of bluray licensing going into it.
Their earlier DVDAs were so cheap it affected my reaction.
This will go on my list but I have too much coming in now with all the preorders and not enuf listening time.
And I still haven't got my DV order in yet....

New release from A Beautiful Curse, a CD-DVD-Blu-ray set of their new album:
A Scar is Born Release March 27, 2020

"A Scar Is Born" now available in a 4 disc package that includes a stereo CD, a binaural (stereo "headphone surround sound") CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray. The DVD and Blu-Ray features the entire album in stereo as well as 5.1 surround sound and includes "The Story So Far" documentary, "the making of" documentary, music videos, and other visual goodies.

View attachment 47082
Another recent inde blu-ray with lossy DD 5.1 as the only surround option. WTF?
I'm gonna start being more careful with these bandcamp blu-rays.

Another recent inde blu-ray with lossy DD 5.1 as the only surround option. WTF?
I'm gonna start being more careful with these bandcamp blu-rays.

It was a bit of a bummer: A BD~R in a cardboard holder with Lossy 5.1......sounded OK but I wish the artists would be more straighforward as to the codec their albums are presented in.

Really? My copy came in a standard Blu-Ray case.

View attachment 55208

I thought the 5.1 mix was kinda tame, but that was the artist's choice and it was kind of him to reply to an inquiry about it. Plus, four discs for $12 is a steal. Happy to have it in the collection.

Ya know, One note Johnnie, you're absolutely correct. I've lately received so many discs across all genres including a huge batch of UHD4K discs that I've lost count of what I have.

And the disc that recently did come in a cardboard holder from bandcamp was none other than Garry Havrillay's Walk Me Through This which was a BD~R with 48/24 PCM 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround....a lovely album with a very nice discrete mix!

Really? My copy came in a standard Blu-Ray case.

View attachment 55208

I thought the 5.1 mix was kinda tame, but that was the artist's choice and it was kind of him to reply to an inquiry about it. Plus, four discs for $12 is a steal. Happy to have it in the collection.
Bandcamp description says the purchase comes with a FLAC download too. As long as the FLACs were made prior to the ac3 encoding, that would be a sonic upgrade.

Bandcamp description says the purchase comes with a FLAC download too.

Stereo-only FLACs unfortunately, and the DR isn't great. The 5.1 mix has a much better mastering. I don't really have a problem with DD if the mix/mastering are solid. Caravan's Grey & Pink and Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle are great examples of this.

Stereo-only FLACs unfortunately, and the DR isn't great. The 5.1 mix has a much better mastering. I don't really have a problem with DD if the mix/mastering are solid. Caravan's Grey & Pink and Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle are great examples of this.
Have you heard the 5.1 FLACs of Grey & Pink though? I liked the DVD ok, but had that blanket over the speakers experience. And the FLACs were just about revelatory.

Have you heard the 5.1 FLACs of Grey & Pink though? I liked the DVD ok, but had that blanket over the speakers experience. And the FLACs were just about revelatory.

I A/B'd them a while back and didn't really hear much of a difference, except maybe the lossless was slightly quieter? The DVD sounds fantastic on my system. But then again, I think Q8s can sound pretty good...

I didn't realize there were lossless FLACs available of Grey & Pink. Do you have details, Baggy? I'm satisfied with the DVD, too, but I'd still like to compare.

Back