2020 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming this month on hybrid 5.1 SACD from Impex Records, pre-order here.

Dang it! I finally broke down and bought the 5.1 mix from NativeDSD after my query to Impex about when the physical release would appear went unanswered. My only consolation is that for once--thanks to a Black Friday discount--the DSD download was actually cheaper than the optical disc!

(It's a fine album, by the way.)

Dang it! I finally broke down and bought the 5.1 mix from NativeDSD after my query to Impex about when the physical release would appear went unanswered. My only consolation is that for once--thanks to a Black Friday discount--the DSD download was actually cheaper than the optical disc!

(It's a fine album, by the way.)

Is it at all discrete, humprof, or ambient rears?

BTW, just checked the IMPORTCD website. They ironically only carry IMPEX VINYL and RBCDs ... not their SACDs! Hmmmmm

Is it at all discrete, humprof, or ambient rears?

BTW, just checked the IMPORTCD website. They ironically only carry IMPEX VINYL and RBCDs ... not their SACDs! Hmmmmm

I would say "room ambiance." The instrumentation on most tracks is pretty spare, and you hear more drumkit (especially snare and ride cymbal) in the rears than piano or bass. Voice and the rare lead horn is pretty strictly isolated to the fronts. Overall effect is more immersive than discrete, not unlike Anderson's approach to Modern Cool.

Last edited:
I would say "room ambiance." The instrumentation on most tracks is pretty spare, and you hear more drumkit in the rears than piano or bass. (Voice and the rare lead horn is pretty strictly isolated to the fronts.) Overall effect is more immersive than discrete, not unlike Anderson's approach to Modern Cool.

Humprof, the BD~A of Modern Cool sounded sensational on my system. Looking forward to this IMPEX Multi~CH SACD with open arms ... and EARS!

View attachment 60221
Steven WilsonGrace for Drowning (2CD+BD-A) 1/10
The O'JaysSurvival & Family Reunion (SACD) 1/10
The MiraclesLove Crazy & Miracles (SACD) 1/10 Miracles in 2.0 only
Harold Melvin & The Blue NotesBlack and Blue & Wake Up Everybody (SACD) 1/10
Earth, Wind & FireSpirit & That's the Way of the World (SACD) 1/10
Helen ReddyI Am Woman & Long Hard Climb (SACD) 1/10
bArtManThe Way Out (DVD-A) 1/13
Markus ReuterTruce (FLAC / BD-A) 1/17
Miles DavisLive / Evil (2SACD) 1/22
Markus ReuterString Quartet No.1 ‘Heartland’ (FLAC [96/24]) 1/24
Porcupine TreeIn Absentia (3CD+BD-V) 2/28
RenaissanceTurn of the Cards (3CD+DVD-V [dts]) 3/20
Mary FahlFrom The Dark Side of the Moon (BD-A / FLAC) 3/24
The Alan Parsons ProjectAmmonia Avenue (BD-V / 3CD+2LP+BD-V) 3/27
AyreonElectric Castle Live and Other Tales (2CD+DVD-V [DD] / BD-V [dts-MA]) 3/27
MarillionScript for a Jester's Tear (4CD+BD-V) 4/3
Chimpan AThe Empathy Machine (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 4/10
Pearl JamGigaton (Atmos) 4/24 rental or purchase via Apple TV
Gary Husband & Markus ReuterMusic of our Times (FLAC [96/24]) 4/25 5.1 & 4.0 mixes
Garry HavrillayAurora (BD-V) 4/27
Robert RichSurround albums 2007 - 2011 (BD-A) 5/1
Robert RichSurround albums 2012 - 2015 (BD-A) 5/1
Robert RichSurround albums 2016 - 2019 (BD-A) 5/1
Herbert GrönemeyerMensch (SACD+BD-V [Atmos]) 5/15
Franck MartinSymphoney (DVD-V [DD]) 5/15 comes w/CD Elements
Robert RichOffering to the Morning Fog (FLAC [48/24]) 5/25
The Amnis InitiativeEjection (FLAC [44.1/24]) 5/29
A Beautiful CurseA Scar is Born (2CD+DVD-V+BD-V [DD]) 5/30
Garry HavrillayWalk Me Through This (BD-V) 5/31 plus 7 new 5.1 mixes
Devin TownsendEmpath - The Ultimate Edition (2CD+2BD-V) 6/5
Garry HavrillayGravity (BD-V / dtsCD) 6/11
Suzanne CianiImprovisation on Four Sequences (WAV [88.2/24]) 6/11
The Pineapple ThiefWhere We Stood (CD+BD-V) 6/12
INXSLive Baby Live (BD-V [Atmos] / UHD) 6/26
Interstellar SequenceThe Chrysalids (FLAC [96/24]) 6/26
MagentaMasters Of Illusion (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 7/1
Hiromi IwasakiPandora's Small Box (SACD) 7/8
KansasThe Absence of Presence (CD+BD-A) 7/17
Be Bop DeluxeAxe Victim (3CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 7/17
Ana-ToleInto the Black Hole (FLAC) 7/28
Paul MauriatEmmanuelle & Fantastic 4 Chanel (SACD) 7/31
V. A.Company - A Musical Comedy (Original Cast Recording) (SACD) 7/31
Charles Gerhardt & NPOCasablanca - Classic Film Scores for Humphrey Bogart (SACD) 7/31
V. A.A Chorus Line (Original Cast Recording) (SACD) 7/31
David RaksinConducts His Great Film Scores (SACD) 7/31
Donald ByrdStreet Lady (SACD) 7/31
La DisputePanorama (BD-V [PCM 96/24]) 8/7
Alain MalletMutt Slang II: A Wake of Sorrows Engulfed in Rage (USB Flash Drive [FLAC]) 8/8
Moa – Step (FLAC [44.1/24]) 8/13 free download
John WilliamsLive in Vienna (CD+BD-V [Atmos]) 8/14
V. A. – Aloha, Radio Hawaii (DL [Atmos]) 8/26
Paul ParkerProvenance (FLAC) 8/28
Barclay James HarvestBarclay James Harvest and Other Short Stories (2CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 8/28
Alan WilliamsEvidence Unearthed (CD+BD-A) 8/28
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat BandThe Gordian Knot (CD+BD-A [dts-HD/Auro-3D/Atmos]) 8/28
HazarReincarnated (CD+BD-A [dts-HD/Auro-3D/Atmos]) 8/28
The Pineapple ThiefVersions of the Truth (BD-A / 2CD+DVD-V+BD-A) 9/4
The Doobie BrothersQuadio (4BD-A) 9/4 (retail 11/6)
The Rolling StonesGoats Head Soup (3CD+BD-A [Atmos]) 9/4
Booka ShadeDear Future Self (BD-A [Atmos]) 9/4
Herbie HancockHead Hunters (SACD) 9/9
Nick Mason's Saucerful of SecretsLive at the Roundhouse (BD-V) 9/18
SantanaSantana (SACD) 9/23
AyreonTransitus (4CD+DVD-V [DD]) 9/25
Ray ThomasWords & Music (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 9/25 w/ From Mighty Oaks 5.1 mix
Djabe featuring Steve HackettThe Magic Stag (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 9/25
Steve HackettSelling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith (2CD+DVD-V / 2CD+BD-V) 9/25
FishWeltschmerz (2CD+BD-V) 9/25
The Rolling StonesSteel Wheels Live (DVD-V [dts] / BD-V [dts-HD]) 9/25
Roger WatersUs + Them (DVD-V / BD-V [Atmos]) 10/2
UltravoxVienna (5CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/9
Tears for FearsThe Seeds of Love (4CD+BD-A) 10/9
John LennonGimme Some Truth. (2CD+BD-A [5.1/Atmos]) 10/9
Rick Wakeman & The English Rock EnsembleThe Red Planet (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 10/21 Simon Heyworth's upmix
AndroïdEast of Eden Revisited (DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/22
Jakko JakszykSecrets & Lies (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/23
Devin TownsendOrder of Magnitude: Empath Live Volume 1 (2CD+DVD-V [DD] / BD-V) 10/23
SantanaAbraxas (SACD) 10/28
MotörheadAce of Spades (boxset w/DVD) 10/30
Chris SquireFish out of Water (BD-A) 10/30
King CrimsonThe Complete 1969 Recordings (20CD+DVD-V+DVD-A+4BD-A) 11/6 SW Atmos mix of ITCOTCK
MarillionWith Friends at St David's (2BD-V) 11/6 incl. With Friends from the Orchestra 5.1 mix (dts-HD)
Rob ReedCursus 123 430 (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 11/14
Pink FloydDelicate Sound of Thunder (DVD-V [dts 48/16] / BD-V / 2CD+DVD-V [dts 48/16]+BD-V) 11/20
AmbraPrism of Life (BD-A [Atmos/Auro-3D]) 11/20
bArtManCrisis (DVD-A) 11/26
Perry FarrellThe Glitz; The Glamour (6CD+BD-A [Atmos]) 11/27 Kind Heaven album mix
Big Big TrainEmpire (2CD+BD-V) 11/27
Schaffer/Barlow ProjectWinter Nights (CD+DVD) 12/1
Robert RichNeurogenesis (FLAC [48/24]) 12/1
EolianFrom the Light / Home / Dust / While We Wait / Back to Blackened / Around the Sun (instrumental) (FLAC [48/24]) 12/4 also available as a bundle of 5+1 albums in 5.1
YelloPoint (BD-A [Atmos]) 12/11
Erik Emil EskildsenThe Time Is Not The Time But The Borrowed [FLAC 48_24] 12/11 name your price
Patricia BarberHigher (SACD) December (DSD / DXD) download from 8/21
Rick Wakeman Return to the Center of the Earth (4CD+DVD) before the end of 2020 *careful, an UPMIX*
Pink FloydDark Side of the Moon (SACD) December
Steven WilsonThe Future Bites (BD [5.1/Atmos] / 3CD+MC+BD [5.1/Atmos]) 1/29/21
Jon AndersonOlias of Sunhillow (2CD+DVD-V) end of January 2021 *careful, an UPMIX*
TransatlanticThe Absolute Universe (5LP+3CD+BD-V / BD-V) 2/5/21
Big Big TrainThe Underfall Yard (TBA) 2/21/21
Be-Bop DeluxeDrastic Plastic (4CD+2DVD) 2/26/21
Al StewartYear of the Cat (3CD+DVD) 3/26/21

Please scroll down to the post #2 for additional titles, not fully confirmed yet (updated regularly)

Here is the link to all albums in Dolby Atmos currently available for streaming via Tidal.
Hi, It's Studio Voodoo here, I was signed to DTS for three years and released 3 projects. Studio Voodoo (self-titled) won the world's 1st Surround Sound award, The Discus. It was original music composed in 5.1/6.1. It's their first music DTS-ES release, 5.1/6.1.2.0 Stereo AND has a binaural mix. I have 20 of them left. It's a very unusual audio experience and have two of the albums available until they are gone. 2 DTS ES Surround Sound Studio Voodoo/ Club Voodoo 5.1/6.1 Multi Channel Disks | eBay

Last edited:
You could add:

Studio Voodoo 2001 DTS -ES DVD-Audio 6.1/5.1/2.0 and Binaural - Bonus Content: Interviews, easter egg with Binaural mix of the entire album. Winner of the first Surround Sound Award "The Discus"

Studio Voodoo - Club Voodoo 2003 DTS-ES Audio CD 6.1 Remixes and 2 new songs

Studio Voodoo - Fire & a Prayer 2005 DTS-DVD Audio (mixed at mastered at DTS but never officially released by DTS) Contains 9 new 5.1 songs. Interviews, 2 music videos, The making of an Ambigram

I don't see After Hours by The Weeknd or Manic by Halsey. Both streaming in Atmos from Tidal.

Thought I'd mention them, since they're both hella good, current hit records and since PJ Gigaton is in the list.
Good point.
For the time being, I went with adding this link for albums available via Tidal, currently 80+ titles, at the bottom of the list. Half of them would fit the release list just fine, and I'm ready to add them if there's enough members who'd appreciate it - just tell me. Maybe a poll is due.
Gigaton was the first major title (QQ POW) on streaming platforms, and I kept it in the list deliberately, ready to delete it anytime (just like the running joke DSOTM, that I kept pushing back month by month, but now I'm done with it, I promise).

I looked at the 2020 list, and I think I have all that interests me, still need to order Point Yello from JPC, other than that nothing is striking out.

I am a fan of Cleveland Eaton, world known Jazz Bassist. I am not sure where to go to get his 2020 remastered lp Plenty Good Eaton?

Both vinyl and cd reissues of Cleveland Eaton - Plenty Good Eaton , are available at :" Real Gone Music .com".
as are a few other albums from the Black Jazz label.

;)
Good hunting , Good Eaton .

Back