2021 Acura TLX Audio Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong, I love that they included this feature (and it beats carrying around a binder full of burned DTS-CDs) - but people who aren't in-the-know about ripping/converting/etc have to be scratching their heads at the mention of a 5.1 USB stick.
Yes, but the upside is, they can learn and perhaps be new converts 😃

I'm still driving a 2007 Acura TL with the Elliot Scheiner DVDA sound system thats still fun to play for people. No USB port in this car but it does have a cassette deck!
Mine has a 6 disc changer, does the new TLX's have even a CD player?

I'm still driving a 2007 Acura TL with the Elliot Scheiner DVDA sound system thats still fun to play for people. No USB port in this car but it does have a cassette deck!

No. CD/DVD-A is now gone from most of the Acura's. The last version of the ELS system played DTS-CDs only, not DVD-A. Having the USB 5.1 is a lot more work, but in some ways less work - especially if you were making your own DVD-Audio's from SACDs, DVD's and Quad conversions. Still, it's all more work than just buying a disc and popping it in, that's for sure

No. CD/DVD-A is now gone from most of the Acura's. The last version of the ELS system played DTS-CDs only, not DVD-A. Having the USB 5.1 is a lot more work, but in some ways less work - especially if you were making your own DVD-Audio's from SACDs, DVD's and Quad conversions. Still, it's all more work than just buying a disc and popping it in, that's for sure

Well, it depends what you call work. :) I had over 100 DTS CDs in my TLX (2015) until I realized that a multi channel lossy m4a is compatible with the system. I now have 140 albums on a USB drive and don't have to (a) strain my shoulder when I reach for the CD bag or (b) take my eyes off the road to find that one CD that I really want to listen to. I am so happy. If only I had someone to drive.

Well, lucky me, I am in the know. Looking for a car in summer of 2021, How much?

I think they'll start around $35K and go up to almost $50K, depending on the trim level. If they are like the RDX, the 5.1 audio will be in all models, top to bottom, although the higher models will have more power (I believe, not sure yet)

I think they'll start around $35K and go up to almost $50K, depending on the trim level. If they are like the RDX, the 5.1 audio will be in all models, top to bottom, although the higher models will have more power (I believe, not sure yet)
Hi Jon,

Thank you for all you do,
My understanding is that in the RDX the only models that will play 5.1 is the ELS studio, that, although the others play USB, they do not play 5.1. Have you, or anyone else, been able to play a 5.1 on a lower model?

If that is the case, I may lease an Acura for our commuter car.

Bender

Hi Jon,

Thank you for all you do,
My understanding is that in the RDX the only models that will play 5.1 is the ELS studio, that, although the others play USB, they do not play 5.1. Have you, or anyone else, been able to play a 5.1 on a lower model?

If that is the case, I may lease an Acura for our commuter car.

Bender

I cannot verify it, or have not verified it. There was a poster/user over at the Acura forum who claimed that it did. I asked the masses over there if this were true, but no one else chimed in.

If anyone test drives one, please report back to the forum. I do not go the the dealer very often, and when I do it's usually for a service appointment at 6:30AM, so no salesmen are around and the demo cars are still locked up.

It really would be nice to confirm this. As I was told, the head ends are the same, it's just the amps that are less powerful and there are no roof speakers. Then again, I could absolutely be wrong. Sorry

99% sure only the top trim ELS has 5.1 capability. You have to buy the advanced trim to get it.

That type S won't be available with ELS available day one and will be an added package by fall 2021 I'd guess.

99% sure only the top trim ELS has 5.1 capability. You have to buy the advanced trim to get it.

That type S won't be available with ELS available day one and will be an added package by fall 2021 I'd guess.

Not exactly. I have an A-Spec, and that has 5.1 for sure. Also, the Technology Package has 5.1 for sure. These 3 have the ELS 3D system with the extra power and speakers in the ceiling. The question remains does the lesser ELS system without the ceiling speakers and the more powerful amp do 5.1 as well.

I may just have to take a trek to the dealer some day and find out for myself.

Not exactly. I have an A-Spec, and that has 5.1 for sure. Also, the Technology Package has 5.1 for sure. These 3 have the ELS 3D system with the extra power and speakers in the ceiling. The question remains does the lesser ELS system without the ceiling speakers and the more powerful amp do 5.1 as well.

I may just have to take a trek to the dealer some day and find out for myself.

2021 Tlx will have els 3d only on advanced trim.

Bummer. I will wait an extra year or two to pick up an RDX or TLX on the resale market. 30K is about my ceiling. (I know the base will be higher than that).

Bummer. I will wait an extra year or two to pick up an RDX or TLX on the resale market. 30K is about my ceiling. (I know the base will be higher than that).

You're looking longer than that on that low budget. The Advanced trim is 48k msrp.

More like 3-5 years at that. I see last year Toyota/ Lexus barely losing 20% on the new/ CPO market prices on the previous model year.

Yes, I was planning on a year or two. So an extra will get me close. I have been very fortunate to get good deals on my last two ELS used cars. I LOVE new system. Can't wait to one day get one....For now a 2013 RDX is working great. I am guessing in a few years that will get upgraded.

Same here; when I borrow my wife's 2004 TL (inheriting this year or next) I feel like a weekend millionaire (Genesis - Cinema Show reference). Work from home, maybe drive to the airport again someday; hard to justify the expenditure.

I am surprised no one mentions the krell system in the rlx? DTS CD 5.1 playback.

The rlx was on my radar until I swayed my choice to the 19 Lexus ES with mark Levinson. Now I'm going for a 2021 TLX over the ES.

Back