2021 Listener's Choice Awards

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I voted for the Pineapple Thief record, it's a great one, and Bruce has done a lot for us in surround sound over these last 5 years!

:)

I was likewise torn between Pineapple Thief as well as it IS a fantastic album and contains a tremendous 'bang for the buck!'

Hopefully, there'll be a TIE!

I voted for the Pineapple Thief record, it's a great one, and Bruce has done a lot for us in surround sound over these last 5 years!

:)
I'm kind of leaning that way myself. A few nights back, I followed Versions of the Truth with Mary's DSOTM, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the PT disc just seemed to be more vibrant. But such an embarrassment of riches!!

I'm surprised that Tears For Fears' The Seeds Of Love and Ultravox's Vienna didn't make their list of nominees. Vienna was probably my favorite surround release of 2020, followed closely by Versions Of The Truth.

I'm surprised that Tears For Fears' The Seeds Of Love and Ultravox's Vienna didn't make their list of nominees. Vienna was probably my favorite surround release of 2020, followed closely by Versions Of The Truth.

From the website:
Now through December 31, 2020, we'll be accepting nominations for YOUR PICK of the Best Immersive Audio Album of 2020. Keep in mind the release dates for albums to be eligible are September 1, 2019 - August 31, 2020.

Seeds of Love and Vienna were both released in surround sound on October 9th.

Thanks for this reminder, @haikubass. Would there be there an easy way of sorting/combining your annual list(s) of releases into a handy table that spans the eligible release dates? (By the way: does anyone know if the eligibility period has always been 13 months rather than 12? Wouldn't that result in some titles being eligible in two successive years? Or is this just a COVID anomaly?) Also: these days, we have to consider streaming-only releases in addition to optical discs and downloads, I guess...

(By the way: does anyone know if the eligibility period has always been 13 months rather than 12? Wouldn't that result in some titles being eligible in two successive years? Or is this just a COVID anomaly?) Also: these days, we have to consider streaming-only releases in addition to optical discs and downloads, I guess...

I thought that was strange too - it's likely a COVID anomaly as you suggest. Some titles to consider:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/2021/10/2022-immersive-audio-album-listeners-choice-awards/

Thanks for this reminder, @haikubass. Would there be there an easy way of sorting/combining your annual list(s) of releases into a handy table that spans the eligible release dates? (By the way: does anyone know if the eligibility period has always been 13 months rather than 12? Wouldn't that result in some titles being eligible in two successive years? Or is this just a COVID anomaly?) Also: these days, we have to consider streaming-only releases in addition to optical discs and downloads, I guess...
:unsure: have no clue as to their guidelines for streaming etc. and man this would be hard for an old fart like me to remember how all the Surround titles match up to one another 😵

I guess with the ones Jonathan just threw out there on IAA (bet he's going with Vienna BTW) , I'd go with The Seeds Of Love just because I like the music, but so many great choices!

Okay...I see now that that was sort of a dumb question. Or at least an easy one to answer. Here are the post-9/1 releases from @haikubass's 2020 list:
The Pineapple ThiefVersions of the Truth (BD-A / 2CD+DVD-V+BD-A) 9/4
The Doobie BrothersQuadio (4BD-A) 9/4 (retail 11/6)
The Rolling StonesGoats Head Soup (3CD+BD-A [Atmos]) 9/4
Booka ShadeDear Future Self (BD-A [Atmos]) 9/4
Herbie HancockHead Hunters (SACD) 9/9
Nick Mason's Saucerful of SecretsLive at the Roundhouse (BD-V) 9/18
SantanaSantana (SACD) 9/23
AyreonTransitus (4CD+DVD-V [DD]) 9/25
Ray ThomasWords & Music (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 9/25 w/ From Mighty Oaks 5.1 mix
Djabe featuring Steve HackettThe Magic Stag (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 9/25
Steve HackettSelling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith (2CD+DVD-V / 2CD+BD-V) 9/25
FishWeltschmerz (2CD+BD-V) 9/25
The Rolling StonesSteel Wheels Live (DVD-V [dts] / BD-V [dts-HD]) 9/25
Roger WatersUs + Them (DVD-V / BD-V [Atmos]) 10/2
UltravoxVienna (5CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/9
Tears for FearsThe Seeds of Love (4CD+BD-A) 10/9
John LennonGimme Some Truth. (2CD+BD-A [5.1/Atmos]) 10/9
Rick Wakeman & The English Rock EnsembleThe Red Planet (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 10/21 new version [dts] S. Heyworth's upmix
AndroïdEast of Eden Revisited (DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/22
Jakko JakszykSecrets & Lies (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/23
Devin TownsendOrder of Magnitude: Empath Live Volume 1 (2CD+DVD-V [DD] / BD-V) 10/23
SantanaAbraxas (SACD) 10/28
MotörheadAce of Spades (boxset w/DVD) 10/30
Chris SquireFish out of Water (BD-A) 10/30
CollideChasing the Ghost (CD+BD-A [dts-HD 48/24] / WAV) 10/31
CollideSome Kind of Strange (CD+BD-A [dts-HD 48/24] / WAV) 10/31
King CrimsonThe Complete 1969 Recordings (20CD+DVD-V+DVD-A+4BD-A) 11/6 SW Atmos mix of ITCOTCK
MarillionWith Friends at St David's (2BD-V) 11/6 incl. With Friends from the Orchestra 5.1 mix (dts-HD)
Rob ReedCursus 123 430 (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 11/14
Pink FloydDelicate Sound of Thunder (DVD-V [dts 48/16] / BD-V / 2CD+DVD-V [dts 48/16]+BD-V) 11/20
AmbraPrism of Life (BD-A [Atmos/Auro-3D]) 11/20
bArtManCrisis (DVD-A) 11/26
Perry FarrellThe Glitz; The Glamour (6CD+BD-A [Atmos]) 11/27 Kind Heaven album mix
Big Big TrainEmpire (2CD+BD-V) 11/27
Schaffer/Barlow ProjectWinter Nights (CD+DVD) 12/1
Robert RichNeurogenesis (FLAC [48/24]) 12/1
EolianFrom the Light / Home / Dust / While We Wait / Back to Blackened / Around the Sun (instrumental) (FLAC [48/24]) 12/4 also available as a bundle of 5+1 albums in 5.1
YelloPoint (BD-A [Atmos]) 12/11
Erik Emil EskildsenThe Time Is Not The Time But The Borrowed [FLAC 48/24] 12/11 name your price
Mike OldfieldTubullar Bells (2SHM-CD+DVD-V) 12/23
Mike OldfieldHergest Ridge (2SHM-CD+DVD-V) 12/23
Mike OldfieldOmmadawn (2SHM-CD+DVD-V) 12/23
John Patrick StewartBuildings, Flesh, and Jealousy (FLAC [48/24]) 12/23

Some big names and fan favorites there--including some with exceptional mixes.

And here is the complete 2021 list (remember to cut off everything after 9/30):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/2021-surround-releases.29669/Of course neither of the above lists features any streaming-only titles, which I'm pretty sure the Academy now means to include for consideration (at least according to Wikipedia). It might be hard to come up with release dates for those, never mind the names of the mixing engineers. Maybe we can use the corresponding CD release dates as guides? And Tidal subscribers can sometimes furnish mixers' names. Off the top of my head, I would be inclined to nominate the following streaming-only Atmos mixes:
  • John Luther Adams, Arctic Dreams (Nathaniel Reichman)
  • Jon Batiste, WE ARE (Steve Genewick)
  • Henry Brant, Ice Field (Jack Vad)
  • Billie Eilish, Happier Than Ever and/or When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go (?)
  • Fantastic Negrito, Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? (Michael Romanowski)
  • Bob Marley & The Wailers, Legend (?)
  • Caroline Shaw/So Percussion, Let the Soil Play Its Simple Part (?)
  • Stile Antico, The Golden Renaissance: Josquin Des Prez (?)
And that reminds me that @haikubass doesn't comprehensively cover classical or jazz releases--and the latter always loom large on the Academy's lists of nominees. So in the non-streaming-only universe, I'd also consider:
  • John Luther Adams, The Become Trilogy (Nathaniel Reichman) (digital download only)
  • Iceland Symphony Orchestra, Occurrence (Daniel Shores) (BDA)
  • Alain Mallet, Mutt Slang II: A Wake of Sorrows Engulfed in Rage (Elliot Scheiner) (FLAC/USB only) (actually, that one may be disqualified; looks like the official release date of the 5.1 mix was August 2020--although I don't think anyone actually noticed it until a couple months later?)
  • Norske Jentekor, The Beauty That Still Remains (Morten Lindberg) (BDA)

Last edited:
Okay...I see now that that was sort of a dumb question. Or at least an easy one to answer. Here are the post-9/1 releases from @haikubass's 2020 list:
The Pineapple ThiefVersions of the Truth (BD-A / 2CD+DVD-V+BD-A) 9/4
The Doobie BrothersQuadio (4BD-A) 9/4 (retail 11/6)
The Rolling StonesGoats Head Soup (3CD+BD-A [Atmos]) 9/4
Booka ShadeDear Future Self (BD-A [Atmos]) 9/4
Herbie HancockHead Hunters (SACD) 9/9
Nick Mason's Saucerful of SecretsLive at the Roundhouse (BD-V) 9/18
SantanaSantana (SACD) 9/23
AyreonTransitus (4CD+DVD-V [DD]) 9/25
Ray ThomasWords & Music (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 9/25 w/ From Mighty Oaks 5.1 mix
Djabe featuring Steve HackettThe Magic Stag (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 9/25
Steve HackettSelling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith (2CD+DVD-V / 2CD+BD-V) 9/25
FishWeltschmerz (2CD+BD-V) 9/25
The Rolling StonesSteel Wheels Live (DVD-V [dts] / BD-V [dts-HD]) 9/25
Roger WatersUs + Them (DVD-V / BD-V [Atmos]) 10/2
UltravoxVienna (5CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/9
Tears for FearsThe Seeds of Love (4CD+BD-A) 10/9
John LennonGimme Some Truth. (2CD+BD-A [5.1/Atmos]) 10/9
Rick Wakeman & The English Rock EnsembleThe Red Planet (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 10/21 new version [dts] S. Heyworth's upmix
AndroïdEast of Eden Revisited (DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/22
Jakko JakszykSecrets & Lies (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 10/23
Devin TownsendOrder of Magnitude: Empath Live Volume 1 (2CD+DVD-V [DD] / BD-V) 10/23
SantanaAbraxas (SACD) 10/28
MotörheadAce of Spades (boxset w/DVD) 10/30
Chris SquireFish out of Water (BD-A) 10/30
CollideChasing the Ghost (CD+BD-A [dts-HD 48/24] / WAV) 10/31
CollideSome Kind of Strange (CD+BD-A [dts-HD 48/24] / WAV) 10/31
King CrimsonThe Complete 1969 Recordings (20CD+DVD-V+DVD-A+4BD-A) 11/6 SW Atmos mix of ITCOTCK
MarillionWith Friends at St David's (2BD-V) 11/6 incl. With Friends from the Orchestra 5.1 mix (dts-HD)
Rob ReedCursus 123 430 (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 11/14
Pink FloydDelicate Sound of Thunder (DVD-V [dts 48/16] / BD-V / 2CD+DVD-V [dts 48/16]+BD-V) 11/20
AmbraPrism of Life (BD-A [Atmos/Auro-3D]) 11/20
bArtManCrisis (DVD-A) 11/26
Perry FarrellThe Glitz; The Glamour (6CD+BD-A [Atmos]) 11/27 Kind Heaven album mix
Big Big TrainEmpire (2CD+BD-V) 11/27
Schaffer/Barlow ProjectWinter Nights (CD+DVD) 12/1
Robert RichNeurogenesis (FLAC [48/24]) 12/1
EolianFrom the Light / Home / Dust / While We Wait / Back to Blackened / Around the Sun (instrumental) (FLAC [48/24]) 12/4 also available as a bundle of 5+1 albums in 5.1
YelloPoint (BD-A [Atmos]) 12/11
Erik Emil EskildsenThe Time Is Not The Time But The Borrowed [FLAC 48/24] 12/11 name your price
Mike OldfieldTubullar Bells (2SHM-CD+DVD-V) 12/23
Mike OldfieldHergest Ridge (2SHM-CD+DVD-V) 12/23
Mike OldfieldOmmadawn (2SHM-CD+DVD-V) 12/23
John Patrick StewartBuildings, Flesh, and Jealousy (FLAC [48/24]) 12/23

Some big names and fan favorites there--including some with exceptional mixes.

And here is the complete 2021 list (remember to cut off everything after 9/30):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/2021-surround-releases.29669/Of course neither of the above lists features any streaming-only titles, which I'm pretty sure the Academy now means to include for consideration (at least according to Wikipedia). It might be hard to come up with release dates for those, never mind the names of the mixing engineers. Maybe we can use the corresponding CD release dates as guides? And Tidal subscribers can sometimes furnish mixers' names. Off the top of my head, I would be inclined to nominate the following streaming-only Atmos mixes:
  • John Luther Adams, Arctic Dreams (Nathaniel Reichman)
  • Jon Batiste, WE ARE (Steve Genewick)
  • Henry Brant, Ice Field (Jack Vad)
  • Billie Eilish, Happier Than Ever and/or When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go (?)
  • Fantastic Negrito, Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? (Michael Romanowski)
  • Bob Marley & The Wailers, Legend (?)
  • Caroline Shaw/So Percussion, Let the Soil Play Its Simple Part (?)
  • Stile Antico, The Golden Renaissance: Josquin Des Prez (?)
And that reminds me that @haikubass doesn't comprehensively cover classical or jazz releases--and the latter always loom large on the Academy's lists of nominees. So in the non-streaming-only universe, I'd also consider:
  • John Luther Adams, The Become Trilogy (Nathaniel Reichman) (digital download only)
  • Iceland Symphony Orchestra, Occurrence (Daniel Shores) (BDA)
  • Alain Mallet, Mutt Slang II: A Wake of Sorrows Engulfed in Rage (Elliot Scheiner) (FLAC/USB only) (actually, that one may be disqualified; looks like the official release date of the 5.1 mix was August 2020--although I don't think anyone actually noticed it until a couple months later?)
  • Norske Jentekor, The Beauty That Still Remains (Morten Lindberg) (BDA)
And don't forget the 3 records that I just put out at the end of September. All quad. All Atmos. All vinyl + everywhere digitally.

Back