2021 Sparks Documentary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The band was called Half Nelson for the first album produced by Todd Rudgren and on Bearsville label. and it is really very unique, the first track is Wonder Girl, great song.
Also the album "Introducing Sparks":

In 2014, a fan posted online that they had inadvertently discovered a 1/4" 4-track 7-inch 7.5ips reel to reel tape of a quadraphonic mix of 'Introducing Sparks' which revealed a possible early incarnation of the album. The tape contained 8 songs, including two fully produced unreleased songs ('Kidnap'[8] and 'Keep Me'[9]), but excluded three songs from the final album release ('Forever Young', 'Girls On The Brain' and 'Over The Summer'). All songs had countdown intros and cold stops instead of fade outs. This version also appeared to be an early mix, as some sounds were either missing from the songs or mixed differently. In particular there is the addition of background conversation opening, closing, and running throughout the song, 'Goofing Off'.
If you don't have it you should, great quad :dance
Finally got around to listening to this. As you point out its an early rough cut with counts at the start and songs that on the LP had a fade out that here just go on and on and then abruptly stop. Also the blistering guitar solos are mixed so low that they are almost impossible to hear, which is really too bad. But all that said, this is a real find! Its so interesting to hear the quad mix when not only has the final mixing of levels not been completed, but the track lineup hasn't been finalized! I always assumed the quad mix down came later in the process but obviously that's not the case! So interesting!

It's in U.S. theaters today. Surprisingly, several of the more mainstream movie theaters in my area are showing it. I figured it would be the sort of film that you'd have to go to one of the more artsy cinemas to see.
Same here! Got an email from The Belcourt Theatre yesterday that featured this! I would definitely go out for this one.

My wife and I saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It seemed like a true labor of love for all involved In its making. So many wonderful clips and recollections. I’ve been a fan for years but my wife knew almost nothing about them. She left the theater as their new #1 fan. 😊
What’s a theater?

The band was called Half Nelson for the first album produced by Todd Rudgren and on Bearsville label. and it is really very unique, the first track is Wonder Girl, great song.
Also the album "Introducing Sparks":

In 2014, a fan posted online that they had inadvertently discovered a 1/4" 4-track 7-inch 7.5ips reel to reel tape of a quadraphonic mix of 'Introducing Sparks' which revealed a possible early incarnation of the album. The tape contained 8 songs, including two fully produced unreleased songs ('Kidnap'[8] and 'Keep Me'[9]), but excluded three songs from the final album release ('Forever Young', 'Girls On The Brain' and 'Over The Summer'). All songs had countdown intros and cold stops instead of fade outs. This version also appeared to be an early mix, as some sounds were either missing from the songs or mixed differently. In particular there is the addition of background conversation opening, closing, and running throughout the song, 'Goofing Off'.
If you don't have it you should, great quad :dance
Where can I find a copy of the Quad?

For those who didn't get to see it in a theater, it's now available on a bunch of different platforms including Dish, Xfinity, Prime, AppleTV, DirecTV and more. Full list here.

After watching an online screening last month, I caught it in the theater two nights ago and enjoyed it even more the second time around. This will be a must-buy when the blu-ray is released.

In other Sparks news, they have announced two concerts for February in Los Angeles. They are promising more tour dates will be announced soon. Also, a new film, Annette, will be released in August. It's a musical written by Ron and Russell. It stars Adam Driver. Yes, apparently Adam Driver sings. Here's the film's trailer:

Here's the first single from the soundtrack:

....and the second single:

For those who didn't get to see it in a theater, it's now available on a bunch of different platforms including Dish, Xfinity, Prime, AppleTV, DirecTV and more. Full list here.

After watching an online screening last month, I caught it in the theater two nights ago and enjoyed it even more the second time around. This will be a must-buy when the blu-ray is released.

In other Sparks news, they have announced two concerts for February in Los Angeles. They are promising more tour dates will be announced soon. Also, a new film, Annette, will be released in August. It's a musical written by Ron and Russell. It stars Adam Driver. Yes, apparently Adam Driver sings. Here's the film's trailer:

Thanks for posting. It’s available on Amazon Prime on July 9th.

July 9th on Amazon Prime. It is on my calendar. And Annette... That looks really interesting.

I finally got around to watching the documentary yesterday (a $19+ rental on Amazon Video). It is a 2 hour, 21 minute long deep, deep dive into the band’s career and album catalog, directed by true believer and self admitted fanboy, Edgar Wright. TBH, it does drag a bit in the second half as it tries(and succeeds at) being a completist’s look at the ups, downs, creativity, sheer dedication and endurance of a 50 year career(one that shows no sign of slowing down, even with both brothers in their 70’s).

As a self-admitted lifelong fan of Todd Rundgren, I can’t help but to acknowledge the fact that he “got” Sparks and he also “got” Meat Loaf’s “Bat Out of Hell” when no one else in the music business did.

I do find it a bit of a shame that much of their rather extensive catalog appears to be unavailable outside of specialty online shops and Discogs. Having said that, I just ponied up for five of their (more acclaimed) albums: “Kimono My House”(of course!), “Angst In My Pants,” “No. 1 In Heaven,” “Lil Beethoven,” and ”FFS”(their collaboration with Franz Ferdinand). Those recordings, plus “Introducing Sparks,“ for which I already own a copy in quad, should hopefully satisfy my interest in making a less than rabbit hole deep dive into their 25(and counting)album catalog.

Last edited:
I finally got around to watching the documentary yesterday (a $19+ rental on Amazon Video). It is a 2 hour, 21 minute long deep, deep dive into the band’s career and album catalog, directed by true believer and self admitted fanboy, Edgar Wright. TBH, it does drag a bit in the second half as it tries(and succeeds at) being a completist’s look at the ups, downs, creativity, sheer dedication and endurance of a 50 year career(one that shows no sign of slowing down, even with both brothers in their 70’s).

As a self-admitted lifelong fan of Todd Rundgren, I can’t help but to acknowledge the fact that he “got” Sparks and he also “got” Meat Loaf’s “Bat Out of Hell” when no one else in the music business did.

I do find it a bit of a shame that much of their rather extensive catalog appears to be unavailable outside of specialty online shops and Discogs. Having said that, I just ponied up for five of their (more acclaimed) albums: “Kimono My House”(of course!), “Angst In My Pants,” “No. 1 In Heaven,” “Lil Beethoven,” and ”FFS”(their collaboration with Franz Ferdinand). Those recordings, plus “Introducing Sparks,“ for which I already own a copy in quad, should hopefully satisfy my interest in making a less than rabbit hole deep dive into their 25(and counting)album catalog.

Although I also like their electro stuff, my favourite era is the 1974-1977 run of albums. :)

Back