2021 Sparks Documentary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, "Propaganda", "Indiscreet", and "Big Beat" are worth investigation in working into their catalogue - I have found I like the latest, "Drip, Drip, Drip" fairly well - a strong, worthy representation of where they are now in terms of their style. - kl
I have every Sparks album, except for three they released during the '80s: Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat (1984), Music That You Can Dance To (1986), and Interior Design (1988). I have selected tracks from these albums on compilations and I think this period represents Sparks directionless and treading water, before they spectacularly reinvented and reinvigorated themselves in the '90's, after a long break.

And - they have a new album out for their soundtrack to Leos Carax movie Annette, which premiered at the recent Cannes festival. Apparently, it's a really batshit crazy musical. I've heard one of the musical numbers is performed in accompaniment to oral sex. Can't wait to see it.

71UpkvZePKS._SL1500_.jpg

Finally got around to listening to this. As you point out its an early rough cut with counts at the start and songs that on the LP had a fade out that here just go on and on and then abruptly stop. Also the blistering guitar solos are mixed so low that they are almost impossible to hear, which is really too bad. But all that said, this is a real find! Its so interesting to hear the quad mix when not only has the final mixing of levels not been completed, but the track lineup hasn't been finalized! I always assumed the quad mix down came later in the process but obviously that's not the case! So interesting!

I'm also interested in hearing this quad mix if anyone knows where it can be found. Recently became a fan with the new Edgar Wright doc. Picked up the LP box of the Island Years! Those records are so good!

The Sparks Brothers documentary will get a blu-ray release on September 28th.

Just went to order the Blu-ray and noticed that several vendors say that it is "Manufactured on Demand".

Really hope that this isn't the future of physical media. šŸ˜„

Still bought a copy anyway. Best price I found was Deep Discount @ $24.99.

What does manufactured on demand mean? Is this a BDR? Or a real factory pressed disc?

I plan to buy a copy too...

What does manufactured on demand mean? Is this a BDR?

Typically it means BDR. I see some CDs on Amazon that are also manufactured on demand. I think they tend to do this if it's a title that they don't expect high demand for. This way they don't have to worry about printing too many and ending up with a bunch of copies gathering dust in a warehouse that nobody wants.

Got my Blu-ray set yesterday....tried to watch it last night but could not get any sound???? After working today I started trying to figure it out and it seems the ol' Oppo BDP-83 has gone down the crapper. Tried a few discs...picture but no sound....plugged in a spare Panasonic player and everything comes up roses. Not sure I'll service it, maybe replace with a Sony or look for a deal on a newer Oppo.

Got my Blu-ray set yesterday....tried to watch it last night but could not get any sound???? After working today I started trying to figure it out and it seems the ol' Oppo BDP-83 has gone down the crapper. Tried a few discs...picture but no sound....plugged in a spare Panasonic player and everything comes up roses. Not sure I'll service it, maybe replace with a Sony or look for a deal on a newer Oppo.
Sure, don't blame you if you wanna replace it...but it probably won't cost much to service it with the boys out in California. I know if my BDP-80 dies it's going straight out there, although I also have a BDP-103. I had my OPPO DV-970HD repaired by them.

Sure, don't blame you if you wanna replace it...but it probably won't cost much to service it with the boys out in California. I know if my BDP-80 dies it's going straight out there, although I also have a BDP-103. I had my OPPO DV-970HD repaired by them.
Not sure if it varies by models, my BDP-93 was serviced by OPPO for about $100 maybe some shipping. It's almost like that old cartoon about driving a new car under the existing radiator cap! Really nice, they give it the works.

Will be buying the documentary for my mom. Mankey brothers lived in the same neighborhood as us - Halfnelson and the first 2 Sparks LPs (along with many Mothers records) were this posterā€™s intro to music.

Last edited:
Will be buying the documentary for my mom. Mankey brothers lived in the same neighborhood as us - Halfnelson and the first 2 Sparks LPs (along with many Mothers records) were this posterā€™s intro to music.
This is the ultimate tease!! A quad version of Introducing floating around? Where is/was Demonoid when you need it. Sparks were the first band I saw on the Propaganda tour November 1974. Halfnelson/Woofer/Kimono absolute masterpieces. I do have a rough mix of Inferior Design (yes that is deliberately spelt that way) which I can't differentiate from finished product. Check out the Movie Sampler, thoroughly recommended.
Anyone that can point me in the right direction to quad Introducing please let me know.

Back