2021 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case you missed the CD/Blu-Ray sets, Alan Williams' complete surround catalog is now available in 5.1 FLAC form on Immersive Audio Album. There's some really fantastic music and 5.1 mixing on all three of these titles (the cover of Supertramp's "The Logical Song" on Signs and Wonders is particularly epic).

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/a-slight-departure-birdsong-at-morning/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/signs-and-wonders-birdsong-at-morning-5-1-flac/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/evidence-unearthed-alan-williams-5-1-flac/

These are all great albums as well - buy the discs and you will get full instrumental versions too (we supplied the 5.1 instrumentals to the site, but not sure if they will be offered) but if you don't want the discs, I urge you to use this new site wherever possible. Jonathan (the chap behind it) really does give a damn about surround too, which is sadly all too rare these days and he is also a really nice chap too (no, I am not on any form of payment or kickback either)

These are all great albums as well - buy the discs and you will get full instrumental versions too (we supplied the 5.1 instrumentals to the site, but not sure if they will be offered) but if you don't want the discs, I urge you to use this new site wherever possible. Jonathan (the chap behind it) really does give a damn about surround too, which is sadly all too rare these days and he is also a really nice chap too (no, I am not on any form of payment or kickback either)

5.1 instrumentals are there - thanks for the kind words!

IAA_AlanW.jpg

Dorothee Munyaneza's self-titled album, mixed to 5.1 by @martin russell, is now available on IAA's shop:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/dorothee-munyaneza/
IAA is starting to get some really interesting releases. I have this, well worth getting.

Has the business model had a revamp, where IAA are marketing more what you can offer to various labels/artists ?

Which if so, is very welcome, as more surround releases become available to us surroundy's.
It is excellent, a great buy.

R.E.M. just announced the 25th anniversary edition of New Adventures In Hi-Fi. No mention of Atmos on the Blu-ray, so it appears that the existing Scheiner mix from the DVD-A will be used. Much like the Monster 25th anniversary edition.

Automatic for The People was the first pop/rock album (or so) to be announced as Dolby Atmos Music.

It seems not enough Return Of Investment to continue with Atmos mixes.

The industry, in general, would have to re-think about the strategy of selling Big Expensive Box Sets only for very few amount of fans. Or would the Atmos mixes be reserved for streaming contracts?

Automatic for The People was the first pop/rock album (or so) to be announced as Dolby Atmos Music.

It seems not enough Return Of Investment to continue with Atmos mixes.

The industry, in general, would have to re-think about the strategy of selling Big Expensive Box Sets only for very few amount of fans. Or would the Atmos mixes be reserved for streaming contracts?

If they are going to take the time and spend the money to mix it properly, the answer should be both.

Last September I've totally missed @jlladuke's post about two re-releases by the band Collide:

View attachment 67784
The albums Chasing the Ghost and Some Kind of Strange were originally released in 2000 and 2003 respectively. They're available only directly from the band, and also as a bundle for $40.

Each blu-ray contains:
- 2020 hi-res stereo mixes in 24 bit 48k
- 2020 dts-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround mixes
- 2020 instrumental mixes in 24 bit 48k
- mixes from the original release
- early versions of the album songs, some of which are 'totally different lyrics, and vocals'
- bonus tracks, including unreleased songs, recorded during original sessions
- HD version of the Razor Sharp, resp. Euphoria video
- limited to 500 copies each

I see that Chasing the Ghost is now available as 5.1 WAV download via IAA!

Back