2021 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post! After seeing it I immediately went over to the IAA site and purchased the All This Will Be Yours download. I think I now have everything for TPT and Bruce Soord solo that's available in 5.1. He's amazingly talented and really gives SW some serious competition in surround mixing skills.

Sooo, with another year in surround almost over now, it's time to review it a little. Was it good or did it disappoint?

There's a new thread by @sjcorne 2021 - List Your Favorite Surround Releases where you can share your views. Well yes, I believe this list might come handy with all the info (dates, polls, pre-release discussion, vendors) aggregated in one place (see post #1).

Btw, would you please help me to fill out some blank spaces here? I'd really love to mention all the surround engineers and I still miss some names - do you know who was credited for the 5.1 mixes by Tetragon Project, Jam & Lewis, Yes, Dream Theater, Till Brönner or Gregorian? Thank you!

Last edited:
The Last Waltz (4K) UHD BDV with 5.1 coming in March 2022:

1639620884283.jpeg

More than just one of the greatest concert films ever made, The Last Waltz is an at once ecstatic and elegiac summation of a vital era in American rock music. Invited to document the farewell performance of the legendary group the Band at San Francisco’s Winterland Ballroom on Thanksgiving, 1976, Martin Scorsese conceived a new kind of music documentary. Enlisting seven camera operators (including renowned cinematographers Vilmos Zsigmond, László Kovács, and Michael Chapman) and art director Boris Leven to design the strikingly theatrical sets, Scorsese created a grandly immersive experience that brings viewers onstage and inside the music itself. That music—as performed by the Band and a host of other generation-defining artists, including Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, the Staple Singers, Muddy Waters, and Neil Young—lives on as an almost religious expression of the transcendent possibilities of rock and roll.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, supervised and approved by musician Robbie Robertson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
  • Two audio commentaries, featuring director Martin Scorsese; Robertson; other members of the Band; members of the production crew; and performers Dr. John, Ronnie Hawkins, and Mavis Staples
  • New interview with Scorsese, conducted by critic David Fear
  • Documentary from 2002 about the making of the film
  • Outtakes
  • Interview from 1978 with Scorsese and Robertson
  • Trailer and TV spot
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • An essay by critic Amanda Petrusich

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-Waltz-4K-Blu-ray/307219/
Also a 1080p BDV release at same time

Last edited:
The Last Waltz (4K) UHD BDV with 5.1 coming in 2022:

View attachment 74414

More than just one of the greatest concert films ever made, The Last Waltz is an at once ecstatic and elegiac summation of a vital era in American rock music. Invited to document the farewell performance of the legendary group the Band at San Francisco’s Winterland Ballroom on Thanksgiving, 1976, Martin Scorsese conceived a new kind of music documentary. Enlisting seven camera operators (including renowned cinematographers Vilmos Zsigmond, László Kovács, and Michael Chapman) and art director Boris Leven to design the strikingly theatrical sets, Scorsese created a grandly immersive experience that brings viewers onstage and inside the music itself. That music—as performed by the Band and a host of other generation-defining artists, including Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, the Staple Singers, Muddy Waters, and Neil Young—lives on as an almost religious expression of the transcendent possibilities of rock and roll.

And BEST of all, Homer, it was shot on 35mm film by some of the finest cinematographers in Hollywood NOT in 16mm as Robbie Robertson first suggested so it should look stunning in Native UHD4K with HDR10+ and DOLBY VISION, two visual enhancements which should boost the visuals considerably!

Release date: March 29, 2022!

Last edited:
The Last Waltz (4K) UHD BDV with 5.1 coming in March 2022:

View attachment 74414

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, supervised and approved by musician Robbie Robertson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
  • Two audio commentaries, featuring director Martin Scorsese; Robertson; other members of the Band; members of the production crew; and performers Dr. John, Ronnie Hawkins, and Mavis Staples
  • New interview with Scorsese, conducted by critic David Fear
  • Documentary from 2002 about the making of the film
  • Outtakes
  • Interview from 1978 with Scorsese and Robertson
  • Trailer and TV spot
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • An essay by critic Amanda Petrusich

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-Waltz-4K-Blu-ray/307219/
Also a 1080p BDV release at same time
I got the 3LP set for my 21st birthday :) ( :eek: was it really way back in 1978!), as usual at Uni everybody would come round and listen to a new album when the first of us got it, so many happy beers consumed to this. The DVD-A is good. I got the DVD-V and was disappointed with the video, so this is a must on 4k BD

Gazpacho - Fireworks at St. Croix
Live session in 5.1 to be released on March 11 as a BD-V or boxset.
G.jpg

Track list:
• Space Cowboy (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Hourglass (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Fireworker (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Antique (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Sapien (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Substitute For Murder (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• The Walk Part I (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• The Walk Part II (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Winter Is Never (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)
• Chequered Light Buildings (at St.Croix [video] 5.1, hi-res stereo)

• Winter Is Never (acoustic) [video]
• Clockwork (promo video)
• Fireworker (promo video)
• Exit Suite (promo video)
• Hypomania (promo video)

• Soyuz One (live at de Boerderij, 2019) [video]
• Upside Down (live at de Boerderij, 2019) [video]
• Emperor Bespoke (live at de Boerderij, 2019) [video]
• Tick Tock Part III (live at de Boerderij, 2019) [video]
• Splendid Isolation (live at de Boerderij, 2019) [video]
• Molok Rising (live at de Boerderij, 2019) [video]
• Soyuz Out (live at de Boerderij, 2019) {video]

• The Concept Of Fireworker (interview) [video]
• The Art Of Fireworker (interview) [video]
• Anatomy Of A Song (interview) [video]
• The Superstition Of Fireworker (interview) [video]

Last edited:
So Fourplay - Fourplay was released on DVDA but is coming to SACD now I see.
Any word on it as to remixing or? Or plans to re-release Energy on SACD again?
Bob James and Nathan East are two busy guys but would love to see some new Fourplay in surround in addition to older stuff. I think besides the two above titles I have DVD's of Live In Capetown (DTS .1) and Live In Tokyo (DD 5.1 IIRC)
I think that's about it for surround titles.
So this SACD by fourplay mentioned here is out now. I received shipping confirmation from Deep discount today.

Back