2022 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to add links for streaming in Atmos on Apple/Tidal where available - if you click on the release dates, you can now check out Alphaville, Jan Gunnar Hoff, xPropaganda, Porcupine Tree, The Beatles or Rodriguez Jr.

Brilliant, thanks!

Some good news for anyone interested, the Suzanne Ciani quadraphonic recording, the one released on LP from 2017 in an edition of 270 with decoder that sold new for $270.00, appears on the Blu-Ray of the Ciani documentary “Life In Waves” with video and stunning quad sound (it’s listed on the cover as “2017 Quadrophonic Performance). I believe it’s the full concert. I noticed the Blu-Ray in a record store in Edinburgh. It is a DVD/Blu-Ray double set and is still in print (the quad concert is only on the Blu-Ray). It is great if you like synth and sequencer stuff. Some of it’s atmospheric/ambient, some is sequencer driven with synth wildly flying around you in quad (think Kraftwerk or moderately more experimental, strident Jean-Michel Jarre. It’s pretty glorious and the discreetness is great). It is all done live on a Buchla synth with (for lack of the proper way of putting it) a quad sequence directing/directional pad and it’s a wild mix.

Some good news for anyone interested, the Suzanne Ciani quadraphonic recording, the one released on LP from 2017 in an edition of 270 with decoder that sold new for $270.00, appears on the Blu-Ray of the Ciani documentary “Life In Waves” with video and stunning quad sound (it’s listed on the cover as “2017 Quadrophonic Performance). I believe it’s the full concert. I noticed the Blu-Ray in a record store in Edinburgh. It is a DVD/Blu-Ray double set and is still in print (the quad concert is only on the Blu-Ray). It is great if you like synth and sequencer stuff. Some of it’s atmospheric/ambient, some is sequencer driven with synth wildly flying around you in quad (think Kraftwerk or moderately more experimental, strident Jean-Michel Jarre. It’s pretty glorious and the discreetness is great). It is all done live on a Buchla synth with (for lack of the proper way of putting it) a quad sequence directing/directional pad and it’s a wild mix.
Unfortunately, it appears it was only manufactured for the European market and is region-locked to DVD 2 / Blu Ray B?

Unfortunately, it appears it was only manufactured for the European market and is region-locked to DVD 2 / Blu Ray B?

It's pretty slim on region information, that's a shame. I have a region free player, being in the UK you kinda have to have that. Strangely, it's available on both Amazon US and Amazon UK.

I just bought it for 18,53 € in Amazon.es. I love this kind of music.

Hi:

I have received today this blu ray. It isn't the same quadraphonic performance. Similar sounds but not the same recording. The length in the blu ray is 38:47.

Hi:

I have received today this blu ray. It isn't the same quadraphonic performance. Similar sounds but not the same recording. The length in the blu ray is 38:47.

Yes, confirmed. The original Quad LP is a recording from 2016 (according to Discogs), this one is from 2017 as shown on the Blu-ray menu. The audio quality is Dolby Digital 5.1 (4.0) only.

You can rip a region locked disc and then enjoy the rip. That’s what I did with “Amazing Grace”(Aretha) and “American Utopia”(David Byrne).

You can also buy an external plug in circuit board on eBay that works with OPPO players. I got the heads up on that one from @edisonbaggins.

NativeDSD published an interview today with Jane Ira Bloom, Ulrike Schwarz, and Jim Anderson about Bloom's new album of duets, Picturing the Invisible, recorded remotely during the pandemic and available exclusively (for now) at NativeDSD. Given the circumstances of its recording and the spareness of the instrumentation, there won't be multi-channel pyrotechnics. (That's not the Anderson-Schwarz style anyway.) But it's bound to sound good, and the recording posed some really interesting challenges.
https://www.nativedsd.com/recording...latest-album-picturing-the-invisible-focus-1/

Just saw this one out 08/26/2022
Looked interesting

https://shop.2l.no/products/tuvayhun
Great, added to the list, thanks!
Also, didn't have a clue that 2L offer so many multichannel format options:
Screenshot_20220817_125904.jpg

Back