2023 Grammy nominations

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would've thought for sure that Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation would at least make it to the nomination stage. I'll have to check out that Chainsmokers title on Apple, didn't even know it existed.
Curious how you're feeling on the Chainsmokers Jonathan? Yet another modern band I've never heard of. Some use of vocoder, which just seems like a cliché to me. It works for me in certain instances though; like Daft Punk's Touch (thinking Robot's etc...)

But that's more the artistic side of the music, not the technical aspects. The samples I've heard of the Chainsmokers is OK though, I don't hate it.

But hey, does anyone here know a damn thing about the Chainsmokers???

Apparently they are an electro-house duo and had a 2014 hit "#SELFIE" 🤷‍♂️ 😑

But that's more the artistic side of the music, not the technical aspects. The samples I've heard of the Chainsmokers is OK though, I don't hate it.
I thought the Atmos mix was decent - lead vocals in front & front height, backing vocals in rear & rear heights, some piano or synth in the sides, etc. The low-end seemed a bit overpowering though.

Holy crap.....
☣️
Just like 1988.
1668652386011.png

🎁

But hey, does anyone here know a damn thing about the Chainsmokers???
They've had a couple of hits, but the kids seems to think of them as either "that one band that shows up in my 2010s nostalgia playlist" or "that one band that had that one annoying single that everyone hated" but they're a nameable artist, at least. They have SOME presence, mainly with Gen Z.
Doesn't stop me from disliking their music. Come on, have you listened to Selfie???
Definitely NOT the band I would expect for a Grammy nomination.

Maybe we should have our own poll for the nominated albums.
I'd have far more interest in that than anything broadcast on the Grammys. Not that many years ago someone asked me if I'd be watching the Grammys or MTV awardsor some such show and I answered no. And they asked 'Oh, you don't like music?'. I didn't even bother responding. I love film too, but I'd likely never watch the Oscars. Unless I got to see Chris Rock bitchslap Will Smith. Then I'm all in.

Also worth keeping in mind, maybe, that some albums with good Atmos mixes (and some albums with bad, or only nominal, Atmos mixes) were nominated in other categories.

Snarky Puppy's Empire Central, for instance (Best Contemporary Instrumental Album). Many--most?--of the titles nominated for Album of the Year (Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, Harry Styles, Mary J. Blige...who am I leaving out?).

Plus other nominees in Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Dance/Electronic Album, Best Rock Album, Best Alternative Music Album, Best Progressive R&B Album, Best R&B Album, Best Rap Album, Best Jazz Vocal Album, Best Latin Pop Album, Best Latin Rock/Alternative Album, Best Americana Album, Best Folk Album, Best Engineered Album - Non-Classical, Best Engineered Album - Classical, Best Opera Recording...again, I'm sure I missed some.

Nonesuch has put together a playlist of its Grammy nominees. Not all in Atmos, and of those that are (Molly Tuttle, Black Keys, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Caroline Shaw & Attaca Quartet), only the Black Keys mix is worthy of the designation, IMO. Hours and hours of great music, regardless.

A splashy article from the New York Times on the Latin Grammys (apologies to non-subscribers who have already exceeded their monthly quota of free articles):
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/arts/music/latin-grammy-awards-winners.html
I'm not a Bad Bunny fan, and I'm unfamiliar with several of the other winners. But Jorge Drexler's album has a very good Atmos mix (apparently Elvis Costello performed with him at the awards ceremony), as does Liniker's. A live version of the album is even better. And I like the music on both, too.

Listening to it for the first time right now. While the mix is pretty good, I don't think it compares to the Tori Amos, George Michael, Tears for Fears or many of the other fantastic mixes that came out last year.
It all comes down to one word: POLITICS

The Grammys are on tonight @ 8 PM on CBS [EST]

I didn’t watch it last night. (I haven’t watched the show in decades. I don’t relate to virtually any of the nominees. Even when a dinosaur act wins something, the product pales in comparison to their earlier material.)

Note: All of the above words in parentheses is a long euphemism for “OLD FART”. :SB

Back