2023 Grammy nominations

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to it for the first time right now. While the mix is pretty good, I don't think it compares to the Tori Amos, George Michael, Tears for Fears or many of the other fantastic mixes that came out last year.
Do you have a link by chance? I don't see it on Tidal.

So, anyone notice the flute joke? As if Jethro Tull never won a Grammy. :LOL:

I have said it before and will say it again….
PAYOLA!
I also felt vindicated when I was watching an interview with Mike Levine from Triumph and he said that the group basically received no airplay in the USA because it was ALL PAYOLA!
I am NOT a hater, the opposite!
It's just like most people think that someone who criticizes their country is anti patriotic when it's the opposite, the people who critizice are the ones who LOVE their country because we want it to get BETTER...
Now, think about.. does anyone in their right mind think that a group like Fleetwood Mac did NOT have an ARMY of Payola behind them? All of those folks at Warmer Bros (their label), Mo Ostin, etc will most probably tell you out front that that is how the business works...
Hell, I GRADUATED from the best Music School in the world; Jazz, Production and Business wise and I learned from the pros themselves and it was no secret...same went for MTV: if you wanted your video to be played, in the GRAVEYARD time, it was close $100K for just ONCE, so spare me the mad faces and attitude guys, I love you but you can't change how things are...

I am NOT a hater, the opposite!
It's just like most people think that someone who criticizes their country is anti patriotic when it's the opposite, the people who critizice are the ones who LOVE their country because we want it to get BETTER...
Now, think about.. does anyone in their right mind think that a group like Fleetwood Mac did NOT have an ARMY of Payola behind them? All of those folks at Warmer Bros (their label), Mo Ostin, etc will most probably tell you out front that that is how the business works...
Hell, I GRADUATED from the best Music School in the world; Jazz, Production and Business wise and I learned from the pros themselves and it was no secret...same went for MTV: if you wanted your video to be played, in the GRAVEYARD time, it was close $100K for just ONCE, so spare me the mad faces and attitude guys, I love you but you can't change how things are...
I was sad faced for Triumph.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talk on.

Everyone seems to understand that the Grammys, like all such awards, are bullshit--in every category, not just immersive--and that at best a nomination will only glancingly or accidentally have much to do with merit. And yet every year we get all butt-hurt about what a travesty the nominee list is, how undeserving the finalists are, and what grave injustices have been done to our favorite overlooked recordings. (Most years I don't join the complain-train, actually, but this year I'll jump on board.)

But: at least professional audio engineers who understand immersive mixing have always been the ones doing the nominating and judging in this category, even after the broad, ceremony-wide rule changes that went into effect this year. (The makeup and power of the various Craft Committees have been "realigned," however, in ways that are still somewhat opaque to me. Also this.) Moreover, according to the first article linked at the end of this post, Michael Romanowski and George Massenburg--no slouches--are chairing a subcommittee of the Producers and Engineers Wing that's been tasked with "developing a [new] set of technical guidelines for immersive audio." (The old set, written in 2004, is still online here.)

Anyway, according to the Recording Academy's process FAQ, the Craft Production Committee determines the final nominees. Where the longlist that they whittle down comes from and how it's generated are still a little unclear. But I've always maintained that you can't wind up a finalist unless someone has nominated you in the first place--and I don't think that every potentially deserving recording necessarily ever gets nominated. Furthermore, I don't think that's the Recording Academy's fault. On the FAQ I just cited, the answer to the question "Who can enter recordings for consideration? Do I qualify" is:

So if a "Professional" or "Voting" member (and in the case of immersive recordings, that may also be limited to the 20-25 members on the Craft Production committee) doesn't think to submit a nomination for you between July 11th and August 31st (the Online Entry Period), and/or your "registered media company"--i.e., your label or your agent--doesn't get around to doing it either (maybe they just flaked, or they forgot to renew their membership or verify their online credentials on time, or it didn't occur to them that you had a record that qualified in that relatively minor category), then you're not gonna be a finalist, because you were never even on the longlist.

https://www.grammy.com/news/what-is-immersive-audio-industry-explainer-dolby-atmoshttps://naras.a.bigcontent.io/v1/static/RulesAndGuidelines_2022
The Grammys have become the music industries equivalent of the NFL's Pro bowl...😩

It never ends...
https://1063thebuzz.com/metal-grammys-year-by-year-who-really-should-have-won/
https://thehayride.com/2023/02/these-aint-your-grannys-grammys/But while I love music, these award shows have long lost my interest. In 1989 the Grammys had a new category Best Hard Rock/Metal. Those of us old school Metallicats will remember this day for a long time. That night Jethro Tull’s album won and many of us felt like Metallica was robbed. But just like in sports, when your team gets robbed of a victory by a referees bad call you don’t just stop watching, right?

:D

It never ends...
https://1063thebuzz.com/metal-grammys-year-by-year-who-really-should-have-won/
https://thehayride.com/2023/02/these-aint-your-grannys-grammys/But while I love music, these award shows have long lost my interest. In 1989 the Grammys had a new category Best Hard Rock/Metal. Those of us old school Metallicats will remember this day for a long time. That night Jethro Tull’s album won and many of us felt like Metallica was robbed. But just like in sports, when your team gets robbed of a victory by a referees bad call you don’t just stop watching, right?

:D
A funny thing is I actually DO stop watching But I'm of that age where I look back at how much time I have spent watching sports and realized... I'm done. Plus I am (or, was) a Knicks fan. There hasn't been anything to see since 1994.

I was listening to Planet Rock (UK Radio) yesterday morning, and the DJ (Wyatt) said he'd seen a piece on the UK's Daily Mail news feed, which completely floored him, the newspaper had said that an unknown singer had beaten Beyonce, Adele etc. to win a Grammy, the unknown singer was .......

Bonnie Raitt!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I mean she has only got 12 Grammys, so obviously unknown!

Back