2L Joins NativeDSD: Surround Sound & Stereo DSD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes indeed. The NativeDSD + 2L rollout started on Friday.
Worth noting, this will include almost 100 albums from 2L - and not just in Stereo but in Surround Sound DSD and in DSD 256 (Stereo and Surround Sound).

2L Joins NativeDSD - 800.jpg

2L Joins NativeDSD!

We are proud to announce that 2L and their very fine catalog joins NativeDSD Music today! 2L brings almost 100 Classical, Jazz, Vocal, Soundtrack, Instrumental and World Music recordings in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD to the NativeDSD music store.

This partnership between 2L and Native DSD marks the debut of 2L's DSD 256 Stereo Music Downloads (outside of Japan) and the worldwide debut of 2L's Multichannel Music Downloads in DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD.
NativeDSD Managing Director and Co-Founder Jared Sacks tells us "Over the next few months we will be adding the 2L catalog to the NativeDSD Music Store. We hope your ears will enjoy (re)discovering the 2L recordings!”

2L adds "Since 2006, DSD and DXD albums from 2L have received a total of 34 Grammy Award nominations, 26 of these in the categories of Best Engineered Album, Best Surround Sound Album, Best Immersive Audio Album and Producer of the Year.

The surround sound recordings of 2L not only transform the entire listening experience but also – more radically – these innovative recordings overturn some very basic concepts regarding how music is played and even composed. 2L emphasizes not just Stereo DSD and DXD releases but also Surround Sound DSD and DXD editions of all their albums. Several of these DSD and DXD surround sound recordings have received Grammy Award Nominations as Best Surround Sound production of the year. And soon you will be able to download them directly from NativeDSD.

2L records in spacious acoustic venues: large concert halls, churches, and cathedrals. This is where they can make the most intimate recordings. The qualities they seek in large rooms are not necessarily just a big reverb, but often an openness due to the absence of close reflecting walls.

Making an ambient and beautiful recording is the way of least resistance. Searching the fine edge between direct contact and openness – that’s the real challenge! A really good recording should be able to bodily move the listener. This core quality of audio production is made by choosing the right venue for the repertoire, and by balancing the image in the placement of microphones and musicians relative to each other in that venue.

There is no method available today to reproduce the exact perception of attending a live performance. That leaves them with the art of illusion when it comes to recording music. Recording engineers and producers need to do exactly the same as any good musician: interpret the music and the composer’s intentions and adapt to the media where the performance is delivered.

Recorded music is no longer a matter of a fixed one- or two-dimensional setting, but rather a three-dimensional enveloping situation. Surround sound audio is a sculpture that you can literally move around and relate to spatially; surrounded by music you can move about in the aural space and choose angles, vantage points, and positions."

We begin the journey today by releasing 'Lux' in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD. You will find more on 2L on the Native DSD Blog at the link below.

https://2l.nativedsd.com/
http://blog.nativedsd.com/2l-joins-nativedsd/
https://2l.nativedsd.com/albums/2L150SABD-lux

Yes indeed. The NativeDSD + 2L rollout started on Friday.
Worth noting, this will include almost 100 albums from 2L - and not just in Stereo but in Surround Sound DSD and in DSD 256 (Stereo and Surround Sound).

View attachment 38114

https://2l.nativedsd.com/
http://blog.nativedsd.com/2l-joins-nativedsd/
https://2l.nativedsd.com/albums/2L150SABD-lux

This could be an important step in the advancement of Surround Sound music available to download. I've got several of the 2L Blu-ray titles and the sound quality is stellar. I also like their no B.S. packaging (no box sets, marbles, picks, etc.) and screen layouts. I was hoping 2L would eventually bring out some more "main stream" music for the masses. Unfortunate though that my Oppo 205 can only play DSD-128, if I'm not mistaken. I at least tried one download at DSD-256 and it wouldn't play.

This could be an important step in the advancement of Surround Sound music available to download.

I've got several of the 2L Blu-ray titles and the sound quality is stellar. I also like their no B.S. packaging (no box sets, marbles, picks, etc.) and screen layouts. I was hoping 2L would eventually bring out some more "mainstream" music for the masses.

Unfortunate though that my Oppo 205 can only play DSD-128, if I'm not mistaken. I at least tried one download at DSD-256 and it wouldn't play.

I think the Oppo 205 plays DSD 64 Stereo & Surround and DSD 128 Stereo. Not sure about DSD 256 Stereo.
The new Panasonic UHD disc players will handle DSD Stereo & Surround up to DSD 256. Along with the exaSound e38 Multichannel DAC and the Merging Technologies NADAC series of DACs.

With 2L, they focus mostly on classical with some jazz releases.
You'd have to ask them if they plan to venture out into additional musical genres.

The big news with the Native DSD + 2L connection is the worldwide availability of DSD 256 Stereo downloads (previously only in Japan) and DSD Surround Sound downloads (not available from other download sites).

I think the Oppo 205 plays DSD 64 Stereo & Surround and DSD 128 Stereo. Not sure about DSD 256 Stereo.
The new Panasonic UHD disc players will handle DSD Stereo & Surround up to DSD 256. Along with the exaSound e38 Multichannel DAC and the Merging Technologies NADAC series of DACs.

With 2L, they focus mostly on classical with some jazz releases.
You'd have to ask them if they plan to venture out into additional musical genres.

The big news with the Native DSD + 2L connection is the worldwide availability of DSD 256 Stereo downloads (previously only in Japan) and DSD Surround Sound downloads (not available from other download sites).

Thanks for the extra info Brian.
- Two questions for you: Do you personally play DSD 128 & DSD 256; and can you hear much difference between the two?

Back