2nd Silverline/Sanctuary Releases Announced

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCunningham

It seems that Silverline is staying busy with their plans to keep DVD-A afloat with their announcement of the second set of titles for DVD-A release from the recent Sanctuary deal.

This set is due to street on May 21st two weeks after the first set. Titles announced are:

Dave Edmunds: A Pile Of Rock-Live
New York Dolls: Live In Concert-Paris 1974
The Damned: Live Anthology
Gerry Rafferty: Can I Have My Money Back?
Sham 69: Best Of-Cockney Kids Are Innocent

Other than general criticism of the Silverline releases, I don't see much here probably because most won't even mess with purchasing them. I did buy the Gerry Rafferty DVD-A "Can I Get My Money Back?" because I like this singer/songwriter really well and I do like the music. The surround mix is not good as I expected and the Dolby Digital sound is worse than the DVD-A. Still I will play the disc a lot because I like the music. At least Silverline tried and offered some minor albums that might be coveted by some of us. I am not sure I am going to try many more of the Silverline releases.

Chris

Chris Gerhard said:
The surround mix is not good as I expected

Is it a "real" mix, or only blown up from the stereo master?? And how is the sound of the stereo version? I love this album, but I only have an old Line CD, which isn't perfect.
And which version of Mary Skeffington is on the Silverline? The Line CD has the single version with the harmonium instead of the album version, unfortunately...

Thanks, Martin

I succumbed to temptation and got the Greg Kihn DVD-A... it's wretched. I dumped it to WAV files and examined it, and after playing a lot with channel balance managed to get passable "ambience" sound, but it's bad even for an unwrap job. Wish these guys would either LISTEN to the marketplace or dry up and blow away...

For a new Silverline release that is truly a superb, discrete mix - get the BJ Cole album, Trouble in Paradise.
I can vouch for this one - it's awesome.

MartinGr said:
Is it a "real" mix, or only blown up from the stereo master?? And how is the sound of the stereo version? I love this album, but I only have an old Line CD, which isn't perfect.
And which version of Mary Skeffington is on the Silverline? The Line CD has the single version with the harmonium instead of the album version, unfortunately...

Thanks, Martin

This version of "Can I Have My Money Back?" is really sort of like an early best of compilation with I believe the same versions as the Line CD and all of the Rafferty songs from the two Humblebums albums. I am assuming the Line CD only included the songs from the 1971 LP although not your preferred version of all songs. This DVD-A contains 25 songs and I feel certain it is not a real mix. The sound quality is not good for anything on the DVD-A but I love the album and hadn't ever heard the pre "City to City" Rafferty albums.

Chris

I picked up Sham 69 "Best of - Cockney Kids are Innocent". I love this music. This late 70's punk rock band following The Sex Pistols and The Clash may have been the third most popular of the British punk bands, I really didn't know much about them before picking up this blind buy based on the All Music Guide review. If you still like to listen to The Clash, chances are you will like this compilation. As with most of my Silverline releases, the surround mix is poor and recording fidelity subpar for DVD-A. For my money this group is much better than The Sex Pistols. I got this the same time as "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds" SACD which I like really well but this Sham 69 music is really fun and Jeff Wayne's serious attempt at rock is going to have to wait for several days before I listen to it a second time. For the time being my rock listening is going to be British punk.

Chris

For a new Silverline release that is truly a superb, discrete mix - get the BJ Cole album, Trouble in Paradise. I can vouch for this one - it's awesome.

A few Silverline/Myutopia titles are in my "All-Spin" Zone. There are some gems in their catalog.

ClarkNovak said:
I succumbed to temptation and got the Greg Kihn DVD-A... it's wretched. I dumped it to WAV files and examined it, and after playing a lot with channel balance managed to get passable "ambience" sound, but it's bad even for an unwrap job. Wish these guys would either LISTEN to the marketplace or dry up and blow away...

Hello Clark,

I bought this too. It sounds much better decoded as if it were just stereo, which it basically is, through the Sansui.:phones

Felix E. Martinez said:
A few Silverline/Myutopia titles are in my "All-Spin" Zone. There are some gems in their catalog.

I have several Silverline/Immergent/Myutopia DVD-A discs I love as well. I also have some that have music I love but dreadful fidelity and surround mix. That catalog is sure a mixed bag but I am going to buy a few more titles.

Chris

Wow! A 4 Year Old "Mike Cunningham" thread is revived! :eek:

I wonder how Mike is doing these days?

Arrived today, Sham 69, Cockney Kids Are Innocent.

One of the most successful 'Punk' bands of the late 1970's.

I knew the surround would be almost a non-event but just had to hear this iconic band, blasting out their rebel yell!!

GREAT FUN.

Back