Music DVD Poll 3 Doors Down - AWAY FROM THE SUN [Monster Disc DD/DTS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD Video Disc of 3 Doors Down LIVE AWAY FROM THE SUN

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Picture, Bad Mix, Bad Sound

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
WOW! This is a VERY COOL DISC!!! (y) (y)

Pop it in, and you are greeted with the THX Logo and sound, modified a bit from the LaserDisc/DVD version.

You then can chose from an "In the Audience" mix, which is your standard crowd in the back, music in the front type of deal. Or, you can select the "On the Stage" mix, either in Dolby Digital, or DTS :phones :D (y) , or if you prefer, plain old stereo............

The video looks great. It's grainy at first (by design), but it's a sharp clear 16x9 anamorphic presentation, and it looks great on a widescreen monitor.

I only sampled the "In the Audience" mix for a few minutes, because the "On the Stage" mix is astounding!!! This is what all surround music concert discs should sound like. It will have the "purists" crapping in their pants! :banana: The vocal seems to eminate from all of the speakers, but the instruments have a very discrete placement to them, using all four corners of the listening area. DTS Playback really fills the room with a big, wide-open sound!

The best part is, they don't have to listen to it this way, they have the stereo and traditional mixes to chose from.

I am impressed with these "SuperDiscs" so far. I hope this is just the start of a big blast of titles, as we watch DVD-A and SACD fade away, at least these are some surround releases that are new and exciting. Despite how some may feel about Monster, the discs that they have released and I have heard have been quite impressive.

Good Job by 3 Doors Down. They have to get our support, them being a "new" act that seems to be big supporters of surround music. If you are a fan, you should be all over this one.

As an overall video package, I give this one a TEN! (y)

BTW - This concert does not just include the tunes from the "Away From the Sun" album, it also includes other tunes, including the non-available-in-surround hit "Kryptonite"!

TRACK LIST:

Duck & Run
Road I'm On
Kryptonite
Loser
Father's Son
Better Life
Away From the Sun
Be Like That
Runnin' Out of Days
Sarah Yellin'
It's Not Me
When I'm Gone
Changes
Here Without You

Attachments

• 3doors.jpg
    3doors.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 324
The best part is, I don't have to listen to it............

Good sound and production, though.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
The best part is, I don't have to listen to it............

Good sound and production, though.

Kal

Kal,

You have to admit that it's cool to have both types of surround mixes for a "project". There are some programs that I prefer with an ambient mix, while others may shine with a "discrete" mix. If both are on the disc, then the buyer gets to chose, and everyone is happy.

The only downer is that it is not "HiRez" DVD-A or SACD type sound, but I have to admit that the DTS (esp the 96/24 on the CDs - not this title) sounds pretty impressive, at least it does through the Denon Link.

Just a side note on the ambient type surround mix. If there is a program that would sound better with an ambient mix (many classical pieces fall into this catagory), I would prefer that the ambience be done at the manufacturer, where the type and amount of ambience is controlled by the engineer, in essence, creating a "fixed" ambient mix, as opposed to hitting say, a DPL II button on a receiver, and getting an "on the fly" ambient mix. But then again, that's just me! :D

I have to find this one. I looked at the CompUSA by my house but no luck... they had every other Monster title though.

Yeah this is a great disc..especially the On Stage mix!

I sure hope we see more like it offering the mix from the stage..if nothing else, calling it On Stage justifies having aggressive mixes on live performances, for any purist who says this is not natural for a concert..

I'm curious - is the On Stage mix what it really does sound like if you were a band member?

I picked up my copy at a local Best Buy..

MC Maniac said:
Yeah this is a great disc..especially the On Stage mix!

I sure hope we see more like it offering the mix from the stage..if nothing else, calling it On Stage justifies having aggressive mixes on live performances, for any purist who says this is not natural for a concert..

I'm curious - is the On Stage mix what it really does sound like if you were a band member?

I picked up my copy at a local Best Buy..
Was it $24.99? That's the price I see on their website. Gonna grab it too.

JonUrban said:
You have to admit that it's cool to have both types of surround mixes for a "project". There are some programs that I prefer with an ambient mix, while others may shine with a "discrete" mix. If both are on the disc, then the buyer gets to chose, and everyone is happy.
Sure, AIX has been doing this for a while. It's just that I find the 'music' on this one unlistenable.

Just a side note on the ambient type surround mix. If there is a program that would sound better with an ambient mix (many classical pieces fall into this catagory), I would prefer that the ambience be done at the manufacturer, where the type and amount of ambience is controlled by the engineer, in essence, creating a "fixed" ambient mix, as opposed to hitting say, a DPL II button on a receiver, and getting an "on the fly" ambient mix. But then again, that's just me! :D
OK but I prefer the ambience real from the original venue to one created in the studio.

Kal

The Baggynzess voted 9 (date night movie).
Took a point off musically, cause this is barely better than Nickleback sometimes.
Great mix. Extremely discrete. Great sonics. Everything is crystal clear. Nice boob shots.

I know this is an old thread...but is this different than the SACD/DVDA/Dualdisc Mix?? I have the dualdisc and I remember it being decent but would seek this out if it's more discrete

3 Doors Down Away From The Sun Live From Houston Texas DTS 5.1 48k. Listening now via On Stage. I've had this for a few years and it always works well for me, much more than crowd sounds in the surrounds after the intro song, not terribly discrete though. I like the music and content. Gets a solid 9 for a quality concert at home MonsterMusic production.

Back