3 Old British Veterans

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Passed over by so many. If only they knew their true value. :yikes

3 Old Brits.jpg

Whoa nice. One thing I've wondered, are the UK Q8's extremely rare in the UK? Q8's are rare in the US, but are they even more rare in the UK? I just wonder if it would be possible to find something such as the UK DSOTM or Atom Heart Mother cheap in a UK thrift store or record store.

Whoa nice. One thing I've wondered, are the UK Q8's extremely rare in the UK? Q8's are rare in the US, but are they even more rare in the UK? I just wonder if it would be possible to find something such as the UK DSOTM or Atom Heart Mother cheap in a UK thrift store or record store.

I've never seen a solitary UK Q8 in a thrift store or used music store here in the UK - and believe me I've been looking for years!

Did stereo 8-Tracks even catch on in the UK? Were they popular equipment for automobiles? It doesn't really seem like 8-Tracks did well at all in the UK from what I've seen so far. It would be helpful if there were UK Q8 sales statistics somewhere. For all those in search of the elusive UK Q8's, it would at least let us know how badly the cards are stacked against us.

Passed over by so many. If only they knew their true value. :yikes

View attachment 8337

I've got that Deep Purple UK cart. It came as part of a huge quad collection that I purchased years ago. Haven't listened to it in years. Will have to drag it out and give it a listen one of these days.

Did stereo 8-Tracks even catch on in the UK? Were they popular equipment for automobiles? It doesn't really seem like 8-Tracks did well at all in the UK from what I've seen so far. It would be helpful if there were UK Q8 sales statistics somewhere. For all those in search of the elusive UK Q8's, it would at least let us know how badly the cards are stacked against us.

compact cassette ruled the roost here. 8-Track had a fairly brief window where it was available in UK music stores (around '73-'75) but it never caught on sadly.

compact cassette ruled the roost here. 8-Track had a fairly brief window where it was available in UK music stores (around '73-'75) but it never caught on sadly.

Yeah, I figured 8-track just never caught on at all in the UK. And I'm guessing that if you cant find them in London, the rest of the UK would probably be worse.

I got my UK Q8 of DSOTM dirt cheap too. Part of a collection of 8 tracks someone was selling on Ebay. Mine doesn't look that great on the outside as well, but plays like new.

A_L

People in the UK were way smarter than those in the US. They never bought into 8 tracks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: an absolutely LOUSY FORMAT! Q8 was the only reason I got into 8 Tracks. They were the only format all the labels could agree on, they were discrete, and there were many titles only available in Quad that way. I bought over 200 of them. Though the fidelity may be a bit better than stereo 8's, Quad 8's sound like shit, like all 8 tracks. Prerecorded cassettes sound pretty bad, too. That's not the least of it, they've always been highly unreliable. LP's, 7 1/2 ips" reels and homebrew cassettes are the great sounding analog formats.

People in the UK were way smarter than those in the US. They never bought into 8 tracks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: an absolutely LOUSY FORMAT! Q8 was the only reason I got into 8 Tracks. They were the only format all the labels could agree on, they were discrete, and there were many titles only available in Quad that way. I bought over 200 of them. Though the fidelity may be a bit better than stereo 8's, Quad 8's sound like shit, like all 8 tracks. Prerecorded cassettes sound pretty bad, too. That's not the least of it, they've always been highly unreliable. LP's, 7 1/2 ips" reels and homebrew cassettes are the great sounding analog formats.

Say what?? I resemble that remark. :) How dare you speak so harshly of the beloved 8 track. Cassettes on the other hand.... Ugh! A soul-less medium with zero character. There is more to the appeal of an audio format than just the fidelity of the recording. Think of their contribution in the big picture of music. 8 tracks were the first popular format in America that allowed people to take the music of their choice into their car. And there is so much you can do in a car with the right tunes playing. :sun

Sorry, Dr. Don't blame the messenger. I disagree that cassettes were soulless. Ever heard a dbx II cassette? They blow the doors off 8 tracks. 8 tracks also have massive head alignment problems. They were a step back from their predecessor, the 4 track cartridge by integrating the pinch roller into the cartridge. 8 tracks did have an easy to use rewind feature, with no button at all. :yikes Sure, I made some very hot ConvertaQuad projects in the day. Yet, other than being Quad, there is nothing good about my old 8 tracks. My old LP's, cassettes and reels still sound pretty damn good. Other than proper storage, the other analog formats don't need repair.

I was a cassette man all the way, until the Q8 came along. At first I felt like I was taking a step down, going to 8 tracks, but having the Q8 in the car was a blast. An impressive ride no matter where you sat in the car, with the big Jensen 6x9's in the back deck (remember those?)

As for the 3 old tapes, I would have to say that the Deep Purple is the rarest, because the DSOTM shows up more frequently on eBay than either of the other two. The Imagine is pretty rare as well. There is also the Atom Heart Mother and the ELO Q8 to go along with these as the top 5 UK British Q8's.

I know the story on the PF UK tapes, but is the UK Deep Purple any different from it's US counterpart?

Years ago, I had a girlfriend from the UK.... Newcastle.... lovely Geordie girl. She could read the phone book and it would turn me on......

:rolleyes: But back to the topic at hand....

Her father was a DJ at a local club back in the early 70's and he had amassed an impressive collection of vinyl. When I mentioned I collected 8-tracks he scoffed at me. He thought they were garbage. IF he were to use tape, he had a cassette player in has car and a reel to reel so that he could keep playing music while he went on a break. He was also equally pompous about the Triumph he used to roar around in too. At the time, I had my '68 New Yorker.... had to convert 440 cubic inches to metric for him. I still remember "7.2 litres? Blimey! That must gobble the petrol!". Once I told him it was the same engine in a Jensen Interceptor, suddenly I went up a peg in his books.

That Newcastle Nympho must have been something! Giving phone sex to everyone in British Columbia. :woopie

440 cubics sounds much larger than 7.2 liters. BTW: what's a cubic?

I bought a new '76 Buick Regal and immediately added 2 5 1/4" coax in the front and two 6" x 9" coax in the rear. I also put in a Q8, alternating with an auto reverse cassette, both on slide mount brackets. To ward against parking tickets, a friend gave me a metal "Doctor on Call" sign to attach to my visor. The gearshift console was cool when I was driving alone, but it got in the way on dates. Walking into Korvettes, buying Q8's and then playing them in the car was very cool. Chicago X, Love Will Keep Us Together and Fly Like an Eagle were some killer new releases that year.

140.jpg

mDsmGFIUFdYi_Tbt-ACgUGg.jpg
You Get It Up...

68 New Yorker! Wow. You don't see those much anymore. I'm a big fan of gas guzzling land yachts too. I think there must be some link between collecting 8-tracks and wanting cars with thier own postal code.

And as far as 8-tracks go. There are some players that sound so great that I could almost listen to only 8-tracks for the rest of my life. Such as my Pioneer H-R100 and H-R99.

There was a time when 8 track tapes were extremly popular. It was the number 1 method of having your music in a car.
And it was also the most stolen item of any that got into a car. Because most were add on's and usually under dash, they were easy for crooks to snatch, along with all your tapes. I myself was one who got hit 3 times. Until I gave up and bought a portable that I managed to keep many years.

I know the story on the PF UK tapes, but is the UK Deep Purple any different from it's US counterpart?

Yes: as the USA CD4 is different from the UK SQ release. The Q8 just mirror the "local" mix, and:
1) the UK mix is available on the old UK SACD - no need to rush for the Q8
2) the USA mix is vastly superior compared to the UK mix.

DSOTM has lowered in value since the BR release with the quad mix...

Imagine is quite popular, no differences between USA and UK carts, and in any case as a quad mix nothing to write about it.

68 New Yorker! Wow. You don't see those much anymore. I'm a big fan of gas guzzling land yachts too.

In the mid/late 70's, TWO of my family hand-me-down cars were these huge, heavy 1964 New Yorkers, with 413ci/4bbl motors, 'push-button' gear selectors, every power option under the sun, and one had a factory rear 6x9 speaker with a reverb unit! 8-9mpg city/11 to 13 hwy. Going around the block you could see the gas guage move. Floor it, gas guage moved. You could build an entire Chevy Chevette from just the chrome on those cars. You could put a Chevette in the trunk!

Back