360RA decoding via hardware - McIntosh and other MPEG-H ready receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 2023 models from Sound United (both Marantz and Denon--which have been discussed in another thread? or is it this one?) with 360 RA support aren't limited to the European versions, however.
The Marantz Cinema Series shuold be supported worldwide. My AVR along with other models should be MPEG-H ready as stated here

Attachments

• CD2BE760-5393-4F46-90EC-75C8C984FC7F.jpeg
    CD2BE760-5393-4F46-90EC-75C8C984FC7F.jpeg
    978.2 KB · Views: 0
The whole thing boggles my mind why there is not wider acceptance. My TX-RZ50 supports neither mpeg-h nor Auro3D, and I knew that going in, but it seemed, and still seems, the facts about what can actually be played are hazy. I bought mine based more on Atmos support, which is really all I could go on at the time, and for what I was willing to spend.
I have a 7.1.4 Atmos system, but I would love it if it could encompass the other immersive (i.e. mpeg-h & Auro3D) codecs.
I can get nothing out of Onkyo about any forthcoming firmware updates so I can only assume support for them won't happen. :cry:

Long rant here…
I bought a new Google TV Chromecast 4K to test if Amazon Music or Tidal could stream 360RA as posted on Marantz Cinema Series picture I attached.

The only surround format possible is Atmos in Tidal, just like Apple TV.

Tidal app shows 360 songs and albums, which is different from Apple Tv app, but it gets an error, as well when trying to play MQA songs.

In Amazon Music app is no different. There’s no 360/Atmos available.
You can only see at which sample rate that song is streamed and it doesn’t go over 16/48 Opus.

I think this 360RA/MPEG-H is frustrating and it looks like smokeware To me…

I’m not saying that it’s not good but th only MPEG-H support is for professional and it’s available in binaural mix for consumer which is completely nonsense to me if there’s hardware available to decode it properly.

Ps.: Fire Stick 4K is “another” capable system that should do the job but I’m VERY sure it won’tView attachment 87957
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this MPEG-H problem. And glad to see my picture can be used. The picture is a screen dump from a PDF I got from Sound United. It's also being used in their presentation video on Youtube. See it here:

I have reached out to Marantz technical support, from two directions. One is through their normal support and a support person at Marantz will pass the problem over to development team now. A little light at the end of the tunnel here.
I'll let you know when I get something back from them.
I also fired of an email to Fraunhofer. I got access to the MPEG-H Authoring Suite, and should be able to have some questions answered about playing back MPEH-H on a real actual physical system like the CINEMA 50/40. At least I hope so!

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this MPEG-H problem. And glad to see my picture can be used. The picture is a screen dump from a PDF I got from Sound United. It's also being used in their presentation video on Youtube. See it here:

I have reached out to Marantz technical support, from two directions. One is through their normal support and a support person at Marantz will pass the problem over to development team now. A little light at the end of the tunnel here.
I'll let you know when I get something back from them.
I also fired of an email to Fraunhofer. I got access to the MPEG-H Authoring Suite, and should be able to have some questions answered about playing back MPEH-H on a real actual physical system like the CINEMA 50/40. At least I hope so!

Can’t wait!! Thanks

A friend of mine brought his Fire TV Cube - 3rd Gen (2022) and MPEG-H is working via Amazon Music. TIDAL is Not working.

Attachments

• 22A02842-F887-486E-B776-3DDA8634B6A0.jpeg
    22A02842-F887-486E-B776-3DDA8634B6A0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6C18E85E-BEBE-47DA-955F-C1F628C9CB61.jpeg
    6C18E85E-BEBE-47DA-955F-C1F628C9CB61.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
A friend of mine brought his Fire TV Cube - 3rd Gen (2022) and MPEG-H is working via Amazon Music. TIDAL is Not working.
Nice!
Amazon Music is not available in Denmark where I’m from.

As I see it, it’s Tidal and Chromecast that need updates.

That’s good news!! It means that some kind of updates should come soon for others android tv systems
Actually marketing is doing a lot to confuse things, as you can see Amazon Music app works in 360RA/MPEG-H on their own Fire Cube, while it doesn't work on Nvidia Shield that could see 360RA songs in Tidal but plays only in HIFi and ChromeCast TV doesn't do anything like that.

Wondering if I could plug one into my other system into my Oppo 103D and have it downmix to 5.1? My Apple 4K TV does that on my other system with Atmos.

Also for the new YouTube 5.1?

I have plenty of Amazon points to get it free. Or could get it until I have an updated AVR :unsure:

Wondering if I could plug one into my other system into my Oppo 103D and have it downmix to 5.1? My Apple 4K TV does that on my other system with Atmos.

Also for the new YouTube 5.1?

I have plenty of Amazon points to get it free. Or could get it until I have an updated AVR :unsure:
No. You need the proper decoder.

Back