3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I looked it up on Amazon and there is no mention of the Three Stooges. I looked it up on IMDB and they are not mentioned in the cast and crew section. I have a very thick book of all the Three Stooges movies and it is not mentioned. Is this the real Three Stooges, Larry Moe and Shemp?

I meant that the 3D Blu-ray of "The Mad Magician" includes the two 3D Three Stooges shorts as bonus material.

Thank you for the clarification. I will order it right away. Thanks.

I just checked with Twilight Time who released the Mad Magician with the two Stooges 3D shorts and it's out of print and is only available, at a premium, from Amazon third party vendors and eBay.

I can attest to the superb quality of Twilight Time's releases and recently took advantage off their 1/2 price off sale. They are akin to Criterion releases, quality wise.

Do yourself a favor and grab Lichtmond's The Journey [3D] before that goes OOP. IT REALLY IS ASTOUNDING!

The other night, I watched The Hole [UK Import NATIVE 3D Region B] from director Joe Dante [The Howling, Innerspace, Gremlins 2, the Burbs] and it was fantastic with the 3D very 'strikingly' apparent from the opening frame to the last and it was very frightening. If you have a region B player, do check this out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hole-3D-Blu-ray/16813/

I just checked with Twilight Time who released the Mad Magician with the two Stooges 3D shorts and it's out of print and is only available, at a premium, from Amazon third party vendors and eBay.

I can attest to the superb quality of Twilight Time's releases and recently took advantage off their 1/2 price off sale. They are akin to Criterion releases, quality wise.

Do yourself a favor and grab Lichtmond's The Journey [3D] before that goes OOP. IT REALLY IS ASTOUNDING!

The other night, I watched The Hole [UK Import NATIVE 3D Region B] from director Joe Dante [The Howling, Innerspace, Gremlins 2, the Burbs] and it was fantastic with the 3D very 'strikingly' apparent from the opening frame to the last and it was very frightening. If you have a region B player, do check this out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hole-3D-Blu-ray/16813/

I must wait for Lichtmond, but I will get it. My question is if the Stooges clips are available on both the DVD and the Blu ray version. The DVD is the one I ordered since it was 1/4th the price of the BR. No B player.

I must wait for Lichtmond, but I will get it. My question is if the Stooges clips are available on both the DVD and the Blu ray version. The DVD is the one I ordered since it was 1/4th the price of the BR. No B player.

But Tom, with the DVD it comes with those cardboard glasses and you won't be able to utilize LG's passive ones. It is MUCH less expensive but you're sacrificing the BD~V quality. I admit, the BD~V IS pricey and the cheapest price is $44 [list was $34.95 at Twilight Time].

But Tom, with the DVD it comes with those cardboard glasses and you won't be able to utilize LG's passive ones. It is MUCH less expensive but you're sacrificing the BD~V quality. I admit, the BD~V IS pricey and the cheapest price is $44 [list was $34.95 at Twilight Time].
So you are saying it is in red/blue on the DVD and polarized on the Blu ray? I am not paying $44 for two 3 Stooges shorts. The movies are not that good.

So you are saying it is in red/blue on the DVD and polarized on the Blu ray? I am not paying $44 for two 3 Stooges shorts. The movies are not that good.

I have a few 3D DVDs and they ALL come with the red/blue anaglyph glasses.

And I agree, paying $44 for a black and white 3D 'meh' Vincent Price movie and 2 Stooges shorts is a bit much....unless you're a rabid fan. The reviews of Twilight Time's BD~V and 3D quality are pretty positive [quality wise].

OTOH, Lichtmond's Journey will blow you out of your easy chair. the 3D and quality of the image are reference quality [and then some].

BTW, do you have this affordable Stooges colorized 3D BD~V? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Three-Stooges-in-3D-Blu-ray/52764/#Review. Silly, but FUN!

I did not know it was available in 3d. I loved that movie, especially the scene in the car in the river when Curly farts.:mad:@: I will pick it up, thanks.

The early reports are that the 2018 LG OLEDs are better than the previous editions:)...I've been keeping my eye on the 77in model...this dealer is trustworthy and you can get your TV calibrated for a reasonable cost...he handles many top brands...AND he ships nationwide..I wonder if Ralphie has every been in the store...if not he should... CHECK IT OUT

I have read reports that say there is no difference between the 17s and the 18s.

I have read reports that say there is no difference between the 17s and the 18s.

Some "lazy" outlets look at the hardware and come to that conclusion....at first blush that would appear to be the case...but there are some very important "software" improvements that can make a huge difference...not all of the LG line will get the new Alpha 9 chip..but the ones that do have the capability to make some important gains in picture quality...and the most important gain for someone like me... with a plasma based background.. is fixing the motion issues that all non plasma displays exhibit...and the A9 is reported to improve that problem with the help of the new addition of CALMAN auto calibration...which could be a game changer...that is why many outlets just look at the hardware and think the LG line hasn't changed much...and to be candid...for the average TV buyer...the previous lineup is fine...but for the videophile(much like audiophiles)who wants the best possible picture quality...these improvements in 2018 are huge....here is an explanation of CALMAN.....HERE is some information on the A9 processor

Some "lazy" outlets look at the hardware and come to that conclusion....at first blush that would appear to be the case...but there are some very important "software" improvements that can make a huge difference...not all of the LG line will get the new Alpha 9 chip..but the ones that do have the capability to make some important gains in picture quality...and the most important gain for someone like me... with a plasma based background.. is fixing the motion issues that all non plasma displays exhibit...and the A9 is reported to improve that problem with the help of the new addition of CALMAN auto calibration...which could be a game changer...that is why many outlets just look at the hardware and think the LG line hasn't changed much...and to be candid...for the average TV buyer...the previous lineup is fine...but for the videophile(much like audiophiles)who wants the best possible picture quality...these improvements in 2018 are huge....here is an explanation of CALMAN.....HERE is some information on the A9 processor

But does it do 3D? VERY important to me, at least. The irony is that the plasma TVs we owned, Clint [I had two and one conked out] could NOT do 3D effectively, at all. Way too dark. If you beheld the 3D image on the 2016 LG models, you'd agree it's utterly awesomely spectacular and looks like bona fide 4K in some instances.

If you can buy that 2016 77" model for under $10K [list was $20K], I'd say GO FOR IT.

EVERY year there are subtle and not so subtle improvements in electronics and trying to keep up with the latest and the greatest will surely confine us to the looney bin.

I'm utilizing a Shunyata Research venom cable directly from my OPPO UHD 205 player into the LG TV and the picture is simply astounding....most especially 3D. When I do get a new Dolby Atmos receiver, I'm still NOT so sure I'd want to run the HDMI into the receiver because DIRECT into the TV eliminates another chain.

I LOVE foreign films with [gulp!] SUBTITLES and a lot of my new BD~As are region B which I consider an upgrade I should've invested in YEARS ago because the UK is producing REGION B only BD~Vs that the US is NOT and some of those titles are brilliant and the clarity of the LG is hardly incremental over our once beloved Plasmas......it's genius!

And a LOT of those Region B UK titles are WAY cheaper than their US counterparts and come in those stunning steelbook cases, exclusive to the UK....a GIMMICK to some and a thing of beauty to others!

In summation, if you do not care about 3D then by ALL means go for the 2018 models. Unfortunately [or fortunately] I'm hooked on 3D and own over 100 BD~Vs in that format [again some NOT available in the US and WAY cheaper in Region B].

Unfortunately, as far as those LG website links go, I think those are outdated pages that LG hasn't taken down yet. I was in some discussions with another member, and also in this very thread, back at the end of October: I saw those same links, got excited, but then discovered that I had long since missed my opportunity. The only retailer that I was able to confirm that still had some of those models (according to their website) was Conn's Home Plus, and only in some of their Texas locations, and with in-store pick-up only (also according to their website). I decided to forget the effort and let it go. If I was still located in Utah, it may have been another matter, but up here in New England again, Virginia is the closet store, and I don't know if they'd even transfer them between stores if they won't ship them - they may be floor demo units only.

First off there is absolutely no way that anything could improve the 2016s and make a "huge difference". In fact I think it would be damn near impossible to even make a very minor difference. And since there is no 3D in the 2017 and 2018s I think the 2016s smoke them.

First off there is absolutely no way that anything could improve the 2016s and make a "huge difference". In fact I think it would be damn near impossible to even make a very minor difference. And since there is no 3D in the 2017 and 2018s I think the 2016s smoke them.

That's telling em, Tom: Fight :flame with:flame

Besides, ANY modifications made to these TVs by outside entities will most likely not be covered under LG's in house warranty! :yikes

FACT: OPPO Digital will NOT repair any of their units which have been modified for Region Free playback.

You don't think it's possible to make even a minor difference? Unless you have had a professional calibration of your tv...not only would these new TV's show improvement over your tv...you could probably improve your OWN tv with a GOOD calibration....as far as 3D being a big advantage...for most buyers it's not...I was excited about it at first and then it just became a novelty...that's why it's dead..

Back