4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just check out my ancient WB Quad label page

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm
There are some 'announced but not released' titles in the charts of label releases. There is no proof that they exist, of course, they were only mentioned in Billboard articles and Schwann Catalogs of the era

On that "CNX" listing of announced but not released your missing a few , Jon.

Atlantic
Eddie Harris -Sings The Blues
Les McCann-Talk To The People

Asylum
Eagles - Eagles
Eagles - Desperado
Carly Simon - Another Passenger

Bearsville
Todd Rundgren- Initiation
Foghat - Energized
Foghat - Rock And Roll Outlaws

Warner Brothers
Rod Stewart- Atlantic Crossing
Deep Purple -Burn
Leo Sayer - Another Year

Discreet
Frank Zappa And The Mothers -Roxy And Elsewhere
Frank Zappa And The Mothers - One Size Fits All

Reprise
Gordon Lightfoot-Gord's Gold
The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations, Best Of

All of the above were listed in Schwann Record And Tape Guide.

*We have a member or two that states ,Zappa ,One Size Fits All was never mixed. Also Gord's Gold could not be found.

Manticore
Emerson Lake And Palmer -Trilogy
(I saw this listed in the Harrison Tape Guide)

Groucho Marx once encountered a game show contestant who had a lot of kids. Groucho ad-libbed "I like my cigar, but I do take it out once in a while." The beauty of live television.

Maybe they will issue "An Evening With Groucho" in Quadio.
Dude, my mother never forgave Groucho for that comment, and she only had 3 kids. 😂

Whaaaa???? Nope. Tell me there's a decode somewhere in the ether....
Sorry, don't know, and I haven't got that in my collection, yet. An Involve Surround Master would be your ticket to ride!

I have the Gleaming Spires thing which is meh.
Might be a crummy mix/encode, don't know what GS used either.

It's said to be a single-inventory quad title, though no discrete tape version was released.
Interesting though what someone commented about it on that discogs Japanese QS version :unsure: -

"Fantastic QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation when compared to the USA EV Quadraphonic 4 channel separation. The USA EV pressings are more of a surround sound while the Japanese QS Quadraphonic 4 channel separation is much more distinct. You know you are listening to a 4 channel record when processed through a QS or RM matrix system."

It's my understanding from an interview with either Krause or the Beave in some old trade mag from the '70s that the album was basically recorded live to a quad mic array in the building that was providing the matrix-encoded signal to two-track stereo tape. So not only is it EV-4 (the crummiest of all matrix systems) there's also minimal channel separation because it's essentially 4 mics in a big echoey room.

As someone else said already, Gandharva (in 1971) and All Good Men (in 1972) were done because of their association with engineer Robert Orban (one of those early quad proponents) before WEA had committed to any quad format. To me they're more like "big stereo" in terms of sound than real discrete quad.

ETA: looks like I mis-remembered somewhat, the interview was with Orban himself in the June 1971 issue of Recording Engineer/Producer (starting on Page 27) and contains some interesting information about the recording, including the fact that the whole thing was filmed on 16mm colour film. It does seem that it was recorded to 16-track multitrack, but the article doesn't say if they generated a discrete master from it or just two-channel matrix mixes.

Last edited:
I have a Warner Brothers pressing and it's my recall only side 2 performed in the cathedral was recorded in quad. The notes at the bottom of the rear cover say quadraphonic and stereo mix down facilities The Village Recorder Los Angeles. There are no markings of any matrix type on the cover or record label or etchings.

If we're talking about Quad rumors, I'd personally love to hear Beaver & Krause's Gandharva in Quadio. I can only imagine how sumptuous and cavernous Side Two of that album would sound.
There is a Japanese matrix QS, do you have that one?

https://www.discogs.com/release/14348600-Beaver-Krause-Gandharva
GANDHARVA was conceived from the ground up to be recorded Quadraphonically which is why for side two the duo chose Grace Cathedral in San Francisco for its long delay times.

http://www.richieunterberger.com/gandharva.html
Primary

As per Pupster's discovery, those QUAD tapes probably reside in the vaults of Warner Japan. Would LOVE [LOVE] to have that on BD~A 192/24!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a Warner Brothers pressing and it's my recall only side 2 performed in the cathedral was recorded in quad. The notes at the bottom of the rear cover say quadraphonic and stereo mix down facilities The Village Recorder Los Angeles. There are no markings of any matrix type on the cover or record label or etchings.

Both sides are quad, it's just side one was recorded in the studio and side two recorded on location at the cathedral. From that Orban article that I just linked:

"It is interesting to mention in passing that the other side of the disc was recorded using the usual 16-track studio mono-miking techniques. We used a pair of Parasound Stereo Matrices for front and back to generate the quad space. The spatial sense was quite impressive, and the ability to place musical material front, back, and at both sides greatly aided in separating complex musical textures. Nevertheless, the artificial space was not as real or as effective as the natural sound of Grace Cathedral, and it was the unanimous conclusion of everyone involved in the remote that the money and effort had been well-spent."

Living in London, England in the ‘70s I had Machine Head in CD-4 and SQ, the CD-4 being an American import. The mixes were completely different with the vocals being further in front with the CD-4 version and more reverb. The sound seemed to be more compressed.
The US quad mix of Machine Head in CD-4 LP has some (added) reverb in there I would guess, but the striking thing to me about it is it has a top end that is not so muted which gives the drum kit a beautiful clarity not found on the conventional stereo mix. The cymbals have a shine that's sweet! So my most common stereo listen is a needle drop of the CD-4 LP (folded). Love that mix.

Last edited:
...the striking thing to me about it is it has a top end that is not so muted which gives the drum kit a beautiful clarity not found on the conventional stereo mix.
That's interesting, I've always found the US quad mix of Machine Head to have a murky quality (even on the reel) in comparison to the UK version as well as the newer 5.1 mix. The quad mix itself is interesting though and in some ways more daring than the mostly-static UK one, as you get the bass guitar in the back (like on the Doobies' quads) and some of the drum fills fly around the room. Whereas rhythm guitar & organ were usually in the rears with solos upfront on the UK mix, the US one basically flips the arrangement with the rhythm parts (like the first guitar in "Smoke On The Water") usually in the front and most of the solos in the rear. Going off memory, they also seem to have added delays to Gillian's vocals throughout "Highway Star" and to the big intro drumming in "Pictures Of Home".

That's interesting, I've always found the US quad mix of Machine Head to have a murky quality (even on the reel) in comparison to the UK version as well as the newer 5.1 mix. The quad mix itself is interesting though and in some ways more daring than the mostly-static UK one, as you get the bass guitar in the back (like on the Doobies' quads) and some of the drum fills fly around the room. Whereas rhythm guitar & organ were usually in the rears with solos upfront on the UK mix, the US one basically flips the arrangement with the rhythm parts (like the first guitar in "Smoke On The Water") usually in the front and most of the solos in the rear. Going off memory, they also seem to have added delays to Gillian's vocals throughout "Highway Star" and to the big intro drumming in "Pictures Of Home".
I'm speaking of the CD-4 LP which could be EQ'd a tad more on the high end than the Q4 reel. And reels tend to lose some high end as they age, and some reels are known to be bass heavy.

But yeah, for sure crystalline up there in the highs in that mix on US quad LP when compared to the stereo mix which is famously "heavy" and darker.

Last edited:
It may not actually have happened anyway: Did Groucho Marx Really Say It- The Cigar Quip (I can't vouch for this source)
Man, I'm just getting checked on everything in here! 😄 Thanks for the verification, atrocity! What I can tell you is that he said (or was attributed to have said) SOMETHING that Tee'd her off so she couldn't watch "You Bet Your Life" reruns with me in the 70s. She's been gone for a decade now, but I think her quote of Groucho, after hearing about the number of kids was more like, "Do you do anything else?" I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she heard it 2nd hand and it was all made up in the first place.

Either way, Groucho sounds just fine in mono to me, and I won't be buying his album...unless he and Alice did a duet. 😉 B$B Quadio, come to Papa!

Back