4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Well, it's been leaked on the forums already so I suppose I can mention it"
I prefer, “It’s been discretely shared among people who will give the information the love and respect it deserves... and then go absolutely out of their minds trying to guess what’s coming as they wander their homes day and night with credit card in hand ready to spring into action when an official announcement is made.”

Welp ? for fun the bet was 37 pages of this thread and we'd hear names of the actual titles. I took the under. I should have taken the over !!!
Page 37 here we are. :giggle:
What don't you understand by the term CLASSIFIED, Ricko. Like that ole cliche: No Wine Is Served Before It's Time, RHINO has wisely kept its forthcoming 8 QUADIO titles under wraps until ............

Good thing you didn't bet the farm at VEGAS! 💰

Welp ? for fun the bet was 37 pages of this thread and we'd hear names of the actual titles. I took the under. I should have taken the over !!!
Page 37 here we are. :giggle:
Where did the 37 page figure come from? Early on, I calculated that the rate of postings would take us to 56 pages by May 23. I was wrong, but remember that I am the same dude who has predicted a Lions vs. Jets Super Bowl in 2024.o_O

There was supposedly a “Bread Greatest Hits Vol. 2” Quad that was never released. Assuming that the Quad mix was completed and still exists, perhaps this title might be a candidate for release.

Jimi Hendrix’s “Crash Landing” unreleased Quad, assuming it exists, would be something to hear. Even if it’s just an historical curiosity, better to have it than not. Despite the release’s controversy at the time, it sold well. According to Wikipedia:

“The album peaked at numbers five in the US and 35 in the UK, the highest chart positions since The Cry of Love. The album reached number 5 in Canada, and was number 38 in the year-end chart.“

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_Landing_(Jimi_Hendrix_album)
I don’t know how well-versed you are in the Hendrix family legacy issues (issues, as in problems) with Alan Douglas, but I have serious doubts that they will ever approve any legitimate releases of Crash Landing in the U.S.

That said, I fully agree, and would love to hear tracks like ‘Over The Rainbow’, ‘Peace In Mississippi’, and ‘Captain Coconut’ in quad. I just don’t see it happening.

I don’t know how well-versed you are in the Hendrix family legacy issues (issues, as in problems) with Alan Douglas, but I have serious doubts that they will ever approve any legitimate releases of Crash Landing in the U.S.

That said, I fully agree, and would love to hear tracks like ‘Over The Rainbow’, ‘Peace In Mississippi’, and ‘Captain Coconut’ in quad. I just don’t see it happening.
This would be the least likely of all the WBs.
Because of the different timing factor, I think one will be America's Choice, which has alternate takes, and is on Grunt.

I see it’s available on CD as an import from Polydor (Amazon link), but I’m not aware of it getting a legitimate U.S. release beyond what came out in the 1970s. I bought the record when it first came out. And remember it was controversial back then, because of the music that was added from what was originally recorded. As I recall, most people at the time just bought the record because they wanted more Hendrix music, and judged the title for what it was.

Still, too bad that it just sits on a shelf, if it exists. It would be interesting to know if a Quad mix was ever attempted or completed.

I still have my copy that I bought. Much as I liked it I was a little apalled at what Douglas did erasing the original performances and adding new musicians to a dead man's recordings.
These kind of remixes became popular decades later but I refused to buy the second Douglas reinterpretation of Hendrix.

This would be the least likely of all the WBs.
Because of the different timing factor, I think one will be America's Choice, which has alternate takes, and is on Grunt.
I’ve never heard exactly what the “different timing” factor is for an issue. And I thought that all mixes different in length from each other mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, or otherwise. What is that about?

The issue I see is that Warner no longer controls the Hendrix catalog. It reverted to his estate quite some time ago. So “Crash Landing” is not coming out on a quadio disc even if hell was to freeze over, and the estate was behind it. Sony would block it faster than one can say injunction.

I’ve never heard exactly what the “different timing” factor is for an issue. And I thought that all mixes different in length from each other mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, or otherwise. What is that about?
I get what you’re saying Quicksrt, but apparently there is enough of a difference in one mix for him to note it. A week or so ago (sorry, I’m not prepared to dig back in this behemoth thread to get your name, guy 😄), it was noted that Billion Dollar Babies has a significant difference, so that it would stand out. I’m hoping for THAT one. 😄
The issue I see is that Warner no longer controls the Hendrix catalog. It reverted to his estate quite some time ago. So “Crash Landing” is not coming out on a quadio disc even if hell was to freeze over, and the estate was behind it. Sony would block it faster than one can say injunction.
I went back to JonUrban’s Quad list, and it has Crash Landing as unreleased in the first place, so the point is moot from what Foraging Rhino has given for criteria.

Last edited:
Soooo...what DAY of the week does Rhino NORMALLY release product, and what TIME of the day? I did a little research, but didn't see anything definitive. WOULD they release today? 🙏🤞🖖😄

Soooo...what DAY of the week does Rhino NORMALLY release product, and what TIME of the day? I did a little research, but didn't see anything definitive. WOULD they release today? 🙏🤞🖖😄
I would think Rhino would stick to the Friday release schedule of the industry. There are outliers, of course, but I think that is just the normal way of releases. Hopefully their announcement schedule is traditionally Memorial Day! 🤩

I listened to the entire interview as I was doing audio conversions on one screen and shopping for website templates on another. It's nice to hear at least a little discussion about quad albums, past Quadio sales success and a commitment to make single titles for a modest sum. I'll buy whatever they issue. :)

I listened to the entire interview as I was doing audio conversions on one screen and shopping for website templates on another. It's nice to hear at least a little discussion about quad albums, past Quadio sales success and a commitment to make single titles for a modest sum. I'll buy whatever they issue. :)
Ditto, Tim. IMO, the missing link in absent 70's Quadio reissues now borne again in better sonics that we've EVER heard them before. And a huge shout out to ForagingRhino [Steve] without whose efforts this reissue program would probably have never been a reality.

I got only one thing from that video conversation, or maybe a hint of something, and that is Kevin Gray might be the one mastering the new Quadio titles, and that would be 100% fine with me.

Just wait until we all get to hear Billion Dollar Babies in it's discreet Quad mix, the piano on Mary Ann" is really beautiful with a real thereness to it, very cool.
But does she come swirling in from the chaos of ’Sick Things’ like a twisted angel before dropping down? And does ’I Love The Dead’ deliver the same eerily comedic/demented atmosphere? (Please say yes! Please say yes!) 😁

As long as it’s NOT lame like the DVD-Audio mix, I’ll take it! That thing was just a disappointment for me.

Well, June is here in two more days. So that's nice! It's summer vacation that is coming, so sun, fun, music, and new memories... almost like the 70's because the music coming is from the 70's.
Too bad the earlier albums weren't also done in quad. With summer vacation on the horizon it's time for "Schools Out"!

But does she come swirling in from the chaos of ’Sick Things’ like a twisted angel before dropping down? And does ’I Love The Dead’ deliver the same eerily comedic/demented atmosphere? (Please say yes! Please say yes!) 😁

As long as it’s NOT lame like the DVD-Audio mix, I’ll take it! That thing was just a disappointment for me.
Alice out of one front speaker, Donovan out of the other on BDB.

Back