4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've posted about this elsewhere, but Mike Butcher told me personally via email that they never completed the quad mix of Sabotage. He said they started on one track and there was some kind of technical fault and they abandoned it and never went back to it. He said that the band's attention was so consumed with the ongoing lawsuit with their former manager at the time that everything aside from the stereo mix fell by the wayside.

The photo in the screenshot above is of the Paranoid quad master (WS4-1887) and no Sabotage, sadly.

I've posted about this elsewhere, but Mike Butcher told me personally via email that they never completed the quad mix of Sabotage. He said they started on one track and there was some kind of technical fault and they abandoned it and never went back to it. He said that the band's attention was so consumed with the ongoing lawsuit with their former manager at the time that everything aside from the stereo mix fell by the wayside.

The photo in the screenshot above is of the Paranoid quad master (WS4-1887) and no Sabotage, sadly.

That's definitely Paranoid, Steely

I wonder why they put that up with the Sabatoge feature ?

He said they started on one track and there was some kind of technical fault and they abandoned it and never went back to it. He said that the band's attention was so consumed with the ongoing lawsuit with their former manager at the time that everything aside from the stereo mix fell by the wayside.

Yes according to that utube feature , they got screwed mightily.

Not only by their first management team but by the second dude as well. And lost tons of cash that should have been theirs. They were pretty much broke when they were making Sabotage .

They even had the tape operator mistakenly erase the first master so they had to re-record the whole thing again.

I can easily see that the quad mix went undone.

Too bad.

Last edited:
Allow me to clarify this point.
Don't rule out either Paranoid or Machine Head, as the true Quad discrete mix has NOT been issued. As y'all have pointed out, the version Paranoid that came out in the UK Deluxe Edition was a needle drop of the WB US Quadradisc pressing. And a noisy one at that. Had I known they were doing that...
And the US Quad of Machine Head has not been issued, so that qualifies as unissued. To me, anyway.

TL/DR: Don't rule out Paranoid & Machine Head.
Thank you for further clarification. I was disputing Pup's asserted or supposed point using reverse psychology (and not with any "real" supporting evidence).

The point I see... is that we are not going to see a quad master appear in this series that has already been issued (Best of Bread, Space in Time, or Spectrum) on digital disc. At least not a part of current plans.

But yeah I'm not giving up on two crown jewels of the vaults, not with 8 discs coming or being planned.

Last edited:
Thank you for further clarification. I was disputing Pup's asserted or supposed point using reverse psychology (and not with any with supporting evidence).
The snarky tone is really not necessary, no one wants to see this thread devolve into an extended back-and-forth. Thanks!

I bet Rhino announces the titles on Memorial Day
Not sure anyone is working in that day, but I’d be happy with that. Friday, today really works for me!
I still want official Rhino slipcovers.
Super Jewel Cases are pretty special, sexy, and long lasting. They might be the kind that sit next to DVD-As or the smaller SACD variety, those will do too.

Allow me to clarify this point.
Don't rule out either Paranoid or Machine Head, as the true Quad discrete mix has NOT been issued. As y'all have pointed out, the version Paranoid that came out in the UK Deluxe Edition was a needle drop of the WB US Quadradisc pressing. And a noisy one at that. Had I known they were doing that...
And the US Quad of Machine Head has not been issued, so that qualifies as unissued. To me, anyway.

TL/DR: Don't rule out Paranoid & Machine Head.
Having heard both the UK Machine Head on SACD (correcting the rears swap) and a needle drop of the CD-4, I much prefer the UK mix. And it is a true discrete quad mix, just a different mix to the one issued in the US. I don't like the US mix because the instruments positions make no musical sense, they're just scattered all over the place.

I have the UK SACD of MH also. I’m not talking sides, but the US Quad mix has never seen a new digital rerelease? So we might want this one.

Or better yet, since both Quad mixes could fit on a Blu-ray, why not put both on it if feasible? With the back channels fixed on the UK version.

I have the UK SACD of MH also. I’m not talking sides, but the US Quad mix has never seen a new digital rerelease? So we might want this one.

Or better yet, since both Quad mixes could fit on a Blu-ray, why not put both on it if feasible? With the back channels fixed on the UK version.
Lots of great ideas are all good. Then comes the red tape and costs, and delays. But if they were to grab the UK quad master to go on the disc, at that point the 2001 5.1 mix should also be included. But I hope (at this point) that no more delays, added costs, and legal nightmares are added to a Quadio releases. And that they simply remain Quadios just for simplicity sake not that I don't like options. I've heard that there are some hoops to jump though as it is.

I would guess that adding the UK mix to a disc with the US mix would increase the licensing fee, which would probably cause a higher sale price, which is probably not what they want to do at the start of a new series release. If Machine Head is one of the first four, I would guess it will be strictly the stereo/quad US version and that would be that.

If I had to guess. Still, it would be great to have the US Quad mix on bluray. I doubt anyone would be disappointed the UK mix was not on there as well. It's not like these are $100 box set discs without the box!

Wouldn't it be grand if the four discs were released in time to take advantage of this sale . . . and they are not part of the "some exclusions apply" fine print!
Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 8.01.32 AM.png

I'd also LOVE to see The Worst of Jefferson Airplane as the Grunt release . . .

Last edited:
I don't understand why Machine Head would be one of them given that it's already been released in two incarnations on optical disc. I certainly wouldn't need it.
it still feels like a worthy Quadio release to me, not least since the U.S. Quad is a totally unique Surround mix, distinct from both the U.K. Quad mix (reissued on Hybrid SACD in 2003 and then on DVD-V in the U.K. 40th Anniversary Box Set in 2012) and the later also quite different 5.1 mix that was available initially on DVD-Audio in 2001 and subsequently on Japanese Hybrid SACD in 2011 🙂

it still feels like a worthy Quadio release to me, not least since the U.S. Quad is a totally unique Surround mix, distinct from both the U.K. Quad mix (reissued on Hybrid SACD in 2003 and then on DVD-V in the U.K. 40th Anniversary Box Set in 2012) and the later also quite different 5.1 mix that was available initially on DVD-Audio in 2001 and subsequently on Japanese Hybrid SACD in 2011 🙂
Yes, I already bought the 2 versions previously released. What we don’t have is a nice, new, never before released in Hi-Rez Quad, is the US version. That’s what would sell. Something we’ve never had before.

So once again fellow quaddies are reeling me in to buying yet another version of Machine Head. Hey, what's not to like? After all, there is a track called Never Before.

MH is an iconic work from a legendary band. For maybe other album titles I’d agree that we have some surround choices already enough. But for this one we need the real thing. The quad mixes are appreciated (by the band) that they have used them on expanded releases of this album in folds to stereo.

So this one has been waiting for it’s complete release for a while.

And yet Alice Cooper is higher priority to me personally of course. Any WEA quad never issued on a Q4 reel is white hot tops.

Back