4CH-ADAPT: JVC 5515X, JVC Sk15A & CD4 SS2900D

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBox4.0

Hi Peoples

I have acquired some equipment. Im not new to audio and hifi, but quad is something new old and intriguing.

I first purchased a JVC 5515X at auction, then found a pair of JVC SK15A speakers at a local recycling centre. Paired, this combo rocks, hard.

I then came across a Technics SS2900D, complete with, everything, except manuals...
I put that into storage for a few months and brought her out yesterday.

JVC gear has full schematics, sales brochure and owners manual.

Was curious what 4ch adaptable meant, so found out I can link them up, using the outputs on the SS2900D.

Should be a fun little exercise.

Anyone had experience running digital audio through a CD4 demodulator? Can you do close to Pro Logic with a CD4 system? Is it worth the effort
20201229_103929.jpg
?

From the question you wrote at the end, it's very clear that you know little about the various differences between quad systems (no offense intended, everyone has to learn something sooner or later).

CD4 is used only on specific records so it's a no-go for anything else, while SQ/QS/RM are matrix systems that can move things around from a stereo source, other than decode more or less properly the intended specific system.

I'm not familiar with the hardware you list but, about the question on playback digital audio into these stuff, you have basically two ways:

1) digital stereo sources (cd and up...): hook the player to a stereo AUX in and you're set.
2) multichannel digital sources (dvda, sacd, dts-cd, mch pc...): hook the player into a 4-channel AUX in (left right front rear combo) and setup the player for playback of multichannel (usually 5.1) WITHOUT center and subwoofer speakers, so it is properly downmixed, if needed, to 4.0, and go.

Don't be ashamed to ask further questions, we're here for the fun of quads and everyone of us has learned that stuff in a distant or recent past. The more specific question you post the more specific answer you can get. For example, a large (=readable) photo of the specific equipment can help out to identify what is possible to do with that specific hardware.

And welcome to the club!

Yeah, I figured I'd run into backward/forward compatibility issues.

I haven't done a great deal of work on these units yet, just played them. I am more into music. A movie I can get away with on a portable screen, however, I have a 120" projector kit not being used and a Yamaha hdmi HT receiver, so I might just go modern gear for the flicks and have 2 systems.

I am more keen to go through my LPs and listen to them on vintage gear.

The vintage equipment can be used with modern (=digital) stuff without problem, we're basically doin' it everyone here... all that is needed is to convert the digital source into analog, stereo or multi, and connect the pieces.
If you post the exact model of the Yamaha receiver we can see what it can do and give suggestions.

The vintage equipment can be used with modern (=digital) stuff without problem, we're basically doin' it everyone here... all that is needed is to convert the digital source into analog, stereo or multi, and connect the pieces.
If you post the exact model of the Yamaha receiver we can see what it can do and give suggestions.

Yes, I started playing with split signals in the early 90's, using multiple equipment, had a pro logic setup with VHS. I was into Star Trek Next Gen back then, the ambience created was an added bonus to the viewing.

Other receiver: It's an old Yamaha RX-V595 from I think 2011. All 3 amp considered mounted in same cabinet or another enclosure, still designing in my head both aesthetics and electronis.

The Yamaha RX-V595 can be used as a center piece for amplification, you can hook a multichannel source on the 6-ch input on top left. That's the best option you have with this unit, digital inputs are only coax/optical that can work only with lossy multichannel (DD/DTS).

Star Trek - The Next Generation was in Dolby Surround. I was decoding it when it came out on TV.

Back