4K Blu-ray discs no longer work with Intel Alder Lake chips

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeerround

Staff member
QQ Supporter
Ran across this article on Apple News:

4K Blu-ray discs no longer work with Intel Alder Lake chips — Digital Trends

"Following Intel’s decision to remove software guard extension (SGX) compatibility for 12th-gen Alder Lake processors, the company’s latest chips will no longer be capable of playing 4K Blu-ray discs. "​

So brand new Intel based computers won't play 4K discs! With a subtext that nobody cares about optical discs anymore (everything is streaming).

It was a poor choice to require SGX.
Also poor wording.
PowerDVD requires SGX to play 4K Blu-ray discs.
PowerDVD is the only "official" way to play 4K Blu-ray discs on PC.
You can still play them, just not with PowerDVD.

You won't be able to *legally decrypt* the sort-of-pointless and self-defeating DRM required to play the video files on the disc out of the box - but you will absolutely still be able to play all content on a 4K UHD disc, since all you will ever need for that is a HEVC decoder.

All my 4K UHDs get immediately backed up to my NAS as soon as I buy them, precisely because of inevitable nonsense like this.

I get the feeling that the industry was never happy about PC playback to begin with due to piracy concerns. I currently can't even play commercial BDs on my PC because there's some kind of issue with HDCP on my monitor -- or at least, that's what PowerDVD thinks. Nothing else barfs. And I'm too lazy to troubleshoot it, since I can just rip the stupid things anyway.

As is typical, doing things the legal/compliant way is hopelessly cumbersome and fraught with issues (in some cases obv.), but the naughty way is way easier.

As is typical, doing things the legal/compliant way is hopelessly cumbersome and fraught with issues (in some cases obv.), but the naughty way is way easier.

There is a law on the books saying I am entitled to make backup copies of media I own copies of - which is what I do - only make backup copies of discs I purchase.

So, from my perspective. I'm following the law.

(I get that there is also a law on the books saying that breaking the copy protection on discs in order to exercise my rights under that existing law is illegal, but if there are practically contradictory laws on the books I feel comfortable picking the one I like and waiting for a court to clarify the problem)

There is a law on the books saying I am entitled to make backup copies of media I own copies of - which is what I do - only make backup copies of discs I purchase.

So, from my perspective. I'm following the law.

(I get that there is also a law on the books saying that breaking the copy protection on discs in order to exercise my rights under that existing law is illegal, but if there are practically contradictory laws on the books I feel comfortable picking the one I like and waiting for a court to clarify the problem)
It's really not that contradictory, FYI. You cannot break the copy protection. Period. No exceptions.

AFAIK there is no law guaranteeing you the right to make backup copies of media. Computer programs, yes, but not media. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course. And of course, this is limited to US law.

It's really not that contradictory, FYI. You cannot break the copy protection. Period. No exceptions.

AFAIK there is no law guaranteeing you the right to make backup copies of media. Computer programs, yes, but not media. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course. And of course, this is limited to US law.

In the US, Fair Use Doctrine absolutely gives me the right to back up anything I wish, regardless of copyright. I don't have the right to distribute, sell, or sell access to those copies. But I have a right under US law to make them.

- Fair Use Doctrine says I have the legal right to make (but not distribute or sell or share) copies, regardless of copyright, no exceptions.
- The DMCA (newer law) says breaking copy protection is illegal, no exceptions.

So which one wins? If they're both "no exceptions" then they are mutually exclusive. That's the legal elephant in the room everyone is routinely careful to avoid identifying.

This is why no one has ever had criminal charges brought against them for only making copies of things - just distributing those copies. In fact, most of the major copyright hawks would avoid trying that - as it would call into question the validity of the law they pushed versus older, existing laws.

Copy protection contravention laws effectively negate preexisting on-the-books Fair Use Doctrine laws which is why they are at best a legal problem and at worst a form of corporate overreach, and under court scrutiny one or the other would have to give way.

But again, no one has ever been charged with breaking copy protection laws unless they were also charged with distributing those copies - the industry has been careful to avoid that because it would raise these thorny questions and they'd rather not risk having their copy protection contravention laws struck down, as courts have routinely upheld the Fair Use Doctrine when it is the only legal issue at hand (Could I be charged with a crime for hitting Ctrl-C Ctrl+V on a file sitting on my own hard drive? Of course not, that's inanity)

And even for organizations that intend to distribute, there are absolutely exceptions, a lot of them, and necessarily so. The Internet Archive famously got an exemption from the LoC that allows it to legally bypass copyright protection and copyright redistribution protections for archival purposes.

Last edited:
In the US, Fair Use Doctrine absolutely gives me the right to back up anything I wish, regardless of copyright. I don't have the right to distribute, sell, or sell access to those copies. But I have a right under US law to make them.

- Fair Use Doctrine says I have the legal right to make (but not distribute or sell or share) copies, regardless of copyright, no exceptions.
- The DMCA (newer law) says breaking copy protection is illegal, no exceptions.

So which one wins? If they're both "no exceptions" then they are mutually exclusive. That's the legal elephant in the room everyone is routinely careful to avoid identifying.
This is getting further off topic, and I apologize in advance for my contributions to that.

The very page you link to above (which is an article from a specific attorney) has the following further down the page (from a different attorney):
DRM and the DMCA target piracy and protect copyright holders' interest in digital goods that are so easy to copy and distribute. But you are not a pirate; you just want to make a backup copy of a DVD that you bought and own. Isn’t this fair use? As of now, not likely. The traditional exemptions for fair use – limited, unauthorized use of copyright protected materials for purposes such as critical reviews, scholarly materials or classroom presentations – do not apply to the DMCA’s circumvention provisions. Your backup copy for your own private use is not now considered among these purposes.

Furthermore, perusing copyright.gov only shows an exemption for computer software.
This is why no one has ever had criminal charges brought against them for only making copies of things - just distributing those copies. In fact, most of the major copyright hawks would avoid trying that - as it would call into question the validity of the law they pushed versus older, existing laws.
Really? I'd argue that the reason nobody has been charged for only making copies is...how would they ever get caught? Distributors are MUCH lower hanging fruit.

My question is what happens to the copy protection if the copyrighted material falls or is placed in the public domain?

The answer is that it illegally protects material that is no longer under copyright.

I hate the way politicians worship the arts and artists so much that they took rights away from others and made the protection periods ridiculously long.

The law in the 1960s made sense. You could make copies, but you could not sell them. Copyright lasted for 28 years. And if the material was out of print, you could copy it for your own use.

If someone is really trying to make another copyright protection scheme that prevents copying by preventing playing in the first place... Well, that only ends one way. (Talk about blinded by greed!) I don't know... Maybe try to sell something someone wants to buy? Pretending copyright infringement is your issue when simply no one is interested in your content... Have fun with returns.

So blurays only play natively (from the disc) on Macs but post-Jobs Apple has removed the optical drive from all the current machines. Sounds about right. Careful out there!

So blurays only play natively (from the disc) on Macs but post-Jobs Apple has removed the optical drive from all the current machines. Sounds about right. Careful out there!
Blu-ray discs can play natively in any Bluray drive: that's what the decryption chip on the drive is for.

I hate the way politicians worship the arts and artists so much that they took rights away from others and made the protection periods ridiculously long.

The law in the 1960s made sense. You could make copies, but you could not sell them. Copyright lasted for 28 years. And if the material was out of print, you could copy it for your own use.
You can thank Disney for a lot of this nonsense, as they pour gobs of money into lobbying to get copyright lengths extended so they don't lose The Mouse (and everything else).
If someone is really trying to make another copyright protection scheme that prevents copying by preventing playing in the first place... Well, that only ends one way. (Talk about blinded by greed!) I don't know... Maybe try to sell something someone wants to buy? Pretending copyright infringement is your issue when simply no one is interested in your content... Have fun with returns.

Meanwhile, most digital music has no DRM. That's because Apple and the others figured out that if you make the purchase price reasonable, people won't bother to pirate. (There will be a certain number of people that always pirate, of course, and subscription streaming has upended all of that, but the point still stands.)

You can play Blu-Rays on PC with something like PowerDVD, but the OS of course doesn't have a player built in. It's UHD that's the real struggle, and of course, this nonsense has done absolutely nothing to stop piracy. It never does. UHD remux rips are all over the no-no sites. I can't legally watch my legally purchased UHD discs on my PC, but they rip very easily thanks to MakeMKV.

do not apply to the DMCA’s circumvention provisions. Your backup copy for your own private use is not now considered among these purposes.

Yep - as you noted that's another laywer's opinion, which is:

- Not backed up by any body of case law (Fair Use is, as are DMCA violations with intent to distribute. Case law around DMCA violations with no distribution does not exist, for reasons I've previously stated).
- Assumes that if the DMCA and the (older, more established, still used) Fair Use Doctrine openly conflict, the DMCA "wins" (this is not how law or case law works)
- Ignores the previous point - that the DMCA ignores existing law and makes no provision for reconciling with the previous Fair Use case law it contradicts, and that solving this problem would necessarily force courts to either throw out the Fair Use Doctrine entirely, or explicitly reword and weaken the DMCA itself - neither of which has happened. It's a legally noxious detante.

Really? I'd argue that the reason nobody has been charged for only making copies is...how would they ever get caught? Distributors are MUCH lower hanging fruit.

Correct - we're making the same point here - the DMCA is overbroad and practically unenforcable where it conflicts with the Fair Use Doctrine, so you're correct that legally enforcing this is is something that DMCA proponents have avoided, because the difficulty of doing so and engaging with this in court would force the court to come up with case law that would explicitly reconcile this contradiction between pre-existing law and the DMCA - and there's good odds this "reconciliation" would weaken the "threat" of the DMCA considerably.

tl;dr - there are two laws that explicitly contradict each other, and all case law thus far studiously avoids resolving that contradiction. If there are contradictory laws on the books (itself a sign that there's a problem), then my options are to do what the big copyright DMCA boosters do - wait for case law to reconcile the difference, and in the meantime selectively pick which of the mutually exclusive laws I get to follow in specific cases, such as when making personal backups.

Fair Use caselaw says I have a right to make personal copies. DMCA caselaw says I don't, but doesn't specify how it can make this claim without throwing out Fair Use caselaw (which it didn't - fair use caselaw is still being used to deliver legal judgements, post-DMCA) , and DMCA proponents have studiously avoided testing this contradiction in court, because they know it's a problem, and they can still go after distributors without testing this contradiction. They were awarded overbroad legislation that contradicted existing caselaw by technically-illiterate judges in the early 2000s, and they can use it to go after distributors, so why rock the boat?

Last edited:
@dadregga I think all of what you are posting is just wishful thinking on your part because you want it to be that way.

The dmca has been around for 20 or so years and I'm sure it has had its share of cases trying to dismiss it yet it is still in full effect, that should tell you the outcome of all those cases

the dmca UPDATED copyright law (fair use) and that how the law works, new laws are passed that update existing law, even by contadicting said existing law

Last edited:
Here summons up my feelings on copying what I pay for;
index.png
Crap, this is probably copyrighted too.

Back