4K Display Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The56Kid

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Looks like I’ll finally be updating my 12 year old 52” Samsung with a new 65” 4K display this year. I’m not certain yet, but an LG OLED is currently the likely candidate. I have a critical question for my QQ brethren in the know:

Will my existing and rather large collection of 1080p Blu-ray movies continue to look great or will they suffer the same upscaling failure my SD DVDs did when I upgraded my Sony Wega to the Samsung?

Looks like I’ll finally be updating my 12 year old 52” Samsung with a new 65” 4K display this year. I’m not certain yet, but an LG OLED is currently the likely candidate. I have a critical question for my QQ brethren in the know:

Will my existing and rather large collection of 1080p Blu-ray movies continue to look great or will they suffer the same upscaling failure my SD DVDs did when I upgraded my Sony Wega to the Samsung?
They'll look great!

I should add that my Oppo UDP-203 will be my UHD player.

NO FEARS, KID. With your OPPO 203, EVERYTHING WILL BE PRISTINE. The Oppo's upscaling of both DVDs and BD~Vs is RIGHT ON THE $$$$$$!

Not to mention, UHD4K Discs look SUPERLATIVE. The LG OLED TVs Support both HDR10+ and DOLBY VISION.

Last edited:
Man, I’m so glad to hear that, Ralph! I can’t even begin to speak to the disappointment I felt when so many of my beloved DVDs looked like total crap after the last upgrade.

Just make sure your HDMI cables can carry those UHD4K Signals. I use Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cables and swear by them, but sadly, they've been dicontinued.
ASHUNVENOMHDMI10M.jpg

I'd guess your disappointment with your DVDs was probably due to going to a larger display. Getting a TV with higher resolution shouldn't make lower rez discs looks worse. But making the image bigger will magnify the the problems inherent in lower rez.

Your blus will look better than ever on an OLED, whether you let the TV or the player do the upscaling. Most new TVs do a great job of upscaling 1080p to 4K- they have to, given that the vast majority of content is 1080p. It's upscaling from resolutions below 1080p, like 720p and 489 i/p that some TVs suffer.

I'd guess your disappointment with your DVDs was probably due to going to a larger display. Getting a TV with higher resolution shouldn't make lower rez discs looks worse. But making the image bigger will magnify the the problems inherent in lower rez.

Your blus will look better than ever on an OLED, whether you let the TV or the player do the upscaling. Most new TVs do a great job of upscaling 1080p to 4K- they have to, given that the vast majority of content is 1080p. It's upscaling from resolutions below 1080p, like 720p and 489 i/p that some TVs suffer.
Awesome!!!

Back