4x RCA to HDMI for Quadraphonic Record Player / Quad Demodulator to Use On HDMI Only System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw i ditched Behringer some time ago and have been using a MOTU UltraLite interface the last few years for various Multichannel applications, including 4-channel Quad transfers and haven't looked back 🙂
I also use a 2015 Ultralite to my Mac for recording purposes. I have an AVB Ethernet line to a Motu Monitor 8 for output in the home theater though. Sounds fantastic. In addition to my MCH files, I stream 5.1 from Apple Music and concerts from the Berlin Phil.

As you suggest, OP doesn’t need the output power (or any output), or the capacity of such $$$ units, just to get the analog in to his computer…

Or, use an interface that has four line inputs with selectable level and select -10dBV rather than +4dBU, then set to unity gain.
Like the Korg 888 lol
EDIT, wouldn't the gain on the front of the UMC4040 help with the level? Or is level and gain separate functions?

Like the Korg 888 lol
EDIT, wouldn't the gain on the front of the UMC4040 help with the level? Or is level and gain separate functions?
It isn’t really about gain or level (which are indeed two separate things) but more about having the best electronic compatibility, ie. impedance and voltage. Imagine, for example, plugging an electric guitar straight in to an AVR. You would hear almost nothing because the impedance from the guitar is too high and the voltage is too low. This is a more extreme example of incompatibility than we are talking about, which I think would be the difference between a good sound and a great sound.

There isn't anything wrong or degraded with unbalanced connections either. Balanced simply offers passive RF rejection and a few more volts to define the signal with. Lets you run audio 100' with no penalty. Unbalanced can be just as perfectly silent and full fidelity. You might have to mind your cable orientation and stick to the shortest cables possible. In fact, someone will surely point out that there are examples of unbalanced connections that are more pure than a balanced connection with less amplifier stages in the circuit or sans the transformer for transformer balanced. (Assuming no noise issues in the example.) But there are 1001 examples of noise challenges with unbalanced that simply disappear with balanced and we like that.

All this modern gear supports plugging unbalanced into the inputs and from the outputs with the 1/4" TRS balanced/unbalanced jack. It's made to run unbalanced by shorting the ring (TRS) to ground or pin 3 (XLR) to ground.

If you are capturing analog audio from some older tape deck with unbalanced outputs, use high quality cables as short as you can get away with. Put on some headphones and carefully listen with the volume turned up with no intentional signal. Listen for rf whine/hum. If you hear something, turn the unit 90 deg (or whatever angle) and see if you can make it disappear. (Familiar with electric guitar and rf noise? Like that!)

There isn't anything wrong or degraded with unbalanced connections either. Balanced simply offers passive RF rejection and a few more volts to define the signal with. Lets you run audio 100' with no penalty. Unbalanced can be just as perfectly silent and full fidelity. You might have to mind your cable orientation and stick to the shortest cables possible. In fact, someone will surely point out that there are examples of unbalanced connections that are more pure than a balanced connection with less amplifier stages in the circuit or sans the transformer for transformer balanced. (Assuming no noise issues in the example.) But there are 1001 examples of noise challenges with unbalanced that simply disappear with balanced and we like that.

All this modern gear supports plugging unbalanced into the inputs and from the outputs with the 1/4" TRS balanced/unbalanced jack. It's made to run unbalanced by shorting the ring (TRS) to ground or pin 3 (XLR) to ground.

If you are capturing analog audio from some older tape deck with unbalanced outputs, use high quality cables as short as you can get away with. Put on some headphones and carefully listen with the volume turned up with no intentional signal. Listen for rf whine/hum. If you hear something, turn the unit 90 deg (or whatever angle) and see if you can make it disappear. (Familiar with electric guitar and rf noise? Like that!)
All this is true, however my point is not primarily about balanced/unbalanced but rather impedance matching. Yes, these inputs support unbalanced signals, but not all unbalanced signals are the same. These are meant for hi-z instruments like electric guitars, so it’s better, in my view, to balance the lines and send them in at mic level. It’s true there is (6db) loss from the DI transformer, which is why you can spend a fortune on these if you want to, but I’m willing to bet the loss is worth the perfect handshake with the interface.

From there, yes, keep the unbalanced cables to the DI as short as possible and go as long as you like balanced to the interface.

There is another can or worms to open with "line" vs "instrument" regarding impedance, yes!

Do take a look at a device's combo xlr/trs jack. Sometimes the 1/4" part is wired as a low impedance balanced line input. Sometimes it's wired as a high impedance instrument DI input. (Literally a built-in DI box.)

So RTFM! It will tell you all about it.

Basically 1/4" connectors are the chaos connector! Used for everything from hi z instrument connections to balanced line level to literally amplifier outputs to passive speakers. Oh yeah, and as two channel (common ground) unbalanced stereo jacks. Certain unintended combinations can release the magic smoke from the device.

Hmmmm....

What happened to the original topics discussion regarding: "4x RCA to HDMI for Quadraphonic Record Player"?
Well, we’re talking about what needs to go between those 4 RCAs and that hdmi. A computer solution is the only idea anyone has, so how best to do that requires a few pro-audio do-dads.

Last edited:
Mic pres or line inputs, I still think a -10db switch on an interface with four inputs is a bit of an oddity that may be costly, but if you find one, let us know!
You won't find one with a hardware switch, but interfaces with software mixers—like RME with TotalMix FX or Universal Audio (Apollo) with Console—often have selectable line levels for inputs and outputs.

Back