5.1 Eq?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8Repair

Anybody heard of one? I'm using a technics DD/DTS decoder hooked up to vintage quad for the surrounds, and vintage stereo for the bass shakers, subwoofer, and center channel. Being able to tweak everything with an EQ would be pretty nice, especially since my apartment has a resonant frequency of around 60hz... I really need to tame that down on the sub. Any ideas?

There are numerous sub EQs on the market but few multichannel EQs. For the sub end, look up Behringer, R-DES, Velodyne SMS-1, etc.

Kal

I have a JBL S3-SPP. It has separate equalizers for left, center, right and subwoofer. But there is nothing for the surround channels. Mine is not for sale, but you might find one.

That looks to be a bit much. Actually, I think a simple subwoofer EQ would help a lot.... the big problem I'm having with it is that in order to use the sub, I need to put my decoder into 'surround' mode. It'd be nice to be able to use it when listening to things in stereo, as whenever I go into surround mode, it uses my center channel way more than I'd like, and lops off the lower frequencies of my surrounds (which are massive).

That looks to be a bit much. Actually, I think a simple subwoofer EQ would help a lot.... the big problem I'm having with it is that in order to use the sub, I need to put my decoder into 'surround' mode. It'd be nice to be able to use it when listening to things in stereo, as whenever I go into surround mode, it uses my center channel way more than I'd like, and lops off the lower frequencies of my surrounds (which are massive).

What mode is the one that is hitting the centre channel too hard?
Trouble with these type of decoders is that actual playback is going to be seriously dependant on the stereo mix, unless the beast was mixed for, say, DPL II.
If using a DPL II decoder there will be at least 4, possibly 6 modes of operation.
Matrix
Emulated
Music
Movie
maybe others as well - Music should have a variable control for both centre channel level & panorama, but rarely seem to have this implemented in an obvious manner unless using software decoders.
Neo-DTS seems to give very good results more consistently, and again there will be 2 modes of operation, Music & Movie.

The problem with slapping an EQ unit on the sub channel is twofold:
1 - the Sub channel (If actually a sub channel) will depend on the crossover setting between the main channels, and from DVD-V discs (Dolby Digital or DTS) should already be filtered to 80Hz. If it's a proper LFE channel, there should be nothing you need to do except possibly set up the player/amplifier Bass Management correctly. There is a very helpful post here about this at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7683
2 - Phase coherence. Adding in an analogue EQ in just one section will smear the phase. Result = ill defined, muddy low end.

Maybe you can let us know what equipment we are talking about?

I know it is easy to recommend buying gear that I'm not paying for :) but what about investing in a receiver - with preouts for your vintage amps - that would allow you to do most of the things you have been asking about? Even a basic receiver like the Pioneer VSX-816 would work, which includes a 5-band EQ system for each channel (not sure about the sub output though; IIRC most Elite series have this though). And I've never heard of any modern A/V receiver that cannot manage a stereo + sub output.

Why not buy a receiver? Because I don't see the point. I have a vintage quadraphonic receiver in great shape, and I have two additional vintage integrated amps. So together, I have 8 total channels of amplification. I also bought a technics optical audio decoder, which decodes an optical audio signal into 6 RCA jacks, which I have hooked up to my quadraphonic receiver, and the other two amps.

So basically, I don't see why I should buy another receiver... I don't need the receiver function, and I don't need it's amplification, and I don't need it's inputs. The only thing I'd be using on it would be optical audio decoding, and equalization.

I'd prefer a decoder with a bit more 'tunability', but seems to me nobody really makes seperate decoders anymore, they're all tossed into new receivers, which I don't want.

What mode is the one that is hitting the centre channel too hard?

Well, the technics decoder has 3 settings. Stereo, in which case it uses only my front speakers, at full frequency range. Surround, which is both dolby pro logic, and dolby digital depending on the source. If I'm playing a DVD or something that's actually in surround, it'll be in dolby digital. If I'm playing a stereo song, but I have it in surround mode to gain use of my subwoofer, it is in 'dolby pro logic'. DTS only works with a DTS source, if I hit DTS when playing regular music it's totally silent.

If using a DPL II decoder there will be at least 4, possibly 6 modes of operation.
Matrix
Emulated
Music
Movie
maybe others as well - Music should have a variable control for both centre channel level & panorama, but rarely seem to have this implemented in an obvious manner unless using software decoders.
Neo-DTS seems to give very good results more consistently, and again there will be 2 modes of operation, Music & Movie.

Nope. It's either in surround, or it isn't.

The problem with slapping an EQ unit on the sub channel is twofold:
1 - the Sub channel (If actually a sub channel) will depend on the crossover setting between the main channels, and from DVD-V discs (Dolby Digital or DTS) should already be filtered to 80Hz. If it's a proper LFE channel, there should be nothing you need to do except possibly set up the player/amplifier Bass Management correctly. There is a very helpful post here about this at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7683

... it's filtered fine, but the problem is the room. My entire apartment resonates at around 55-65hz somewhere, so my sub seems 'peaky' at that frequency, due to the room. It's a sealed sub, so really it does not have a very peaky response, it's just the room amplifying a certain frequency range. I've been reading a lot and no amount of 'setup' or 'bass management settings' can tone down just certain frequencies in the LFE channel, at least that I've read.

I've been reading a lot and no amount of 'setup' or 'bass management settings' can tone down just certain frequencies in the LFE channel, at least that I've read.
While many AVR room correction/EQ modes don't touch really low bass (say, below 60 Hz), there are certainly standalone EQ units out there that can , like the Behringer , which can tame modal peaks in the subwoofer range.

The really hard to tame problem is nulls because its generally a bad idea to 'correct' them by EQ.

... it's filtered fine, but the problem is the room. My entire apartment resonates at around 55-65hz somewhere, so my sub seems 'peaky' at that frequency, due to the room. It's a sealed sub, so really it does not have a very peaky response, it's just the room amplifying a certain frequency range. I've been reading a lot and no amount of 'setup' or 'bass management settings' can tone down just certain frequencies in the LFE channel, at least that I've read.
The Velodyne SMS-1 has a decent 80Hz (optional) HP for the L/R channels, adjustable LP for the sub and a multiband parametric EQ for the sub.

Kal

Back to your original question, a 5.1 EQ. Have you checked out the Alesis DEQ830? 8 channels of 1/3 octave EQ! Good price, too. If you have EX, you could use all the channels (7.1). Or, if only 5.1, you could feed the sub into channels 6 and 7, EQ differently, and select one or the other for different formats. I believe there is also 50 memory settings, plenty of variety! Make a few different EQ's for your likings.

What analyzers do you use to preform your EQ's? Which ones do you like?

That being said, some of my friends prefer listening flat (no EQ). I actually like to have EQ, but also like the fact that at a flip of a switch, I can disable the EQ just to see what "is going on".

I guess it really depends how close you are to the near field. Also remember, the more you treat your listening room, the less need there is for EQ!

Steve :brew

Back