5.1 Tv

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrahrah

I just hooked up my Motorola DCT3412 Comcast Hi Def box, but have yet been able to get it to light up the 'digital' light on my amp. Yes the channels I'm watching say 5.1, but the best I get is a Dolby signal. The back of the cable box has a digital coax which is what I'm using, but to no avail. I haven't tried the optical output yet.

Has anyone out there had any luck with broadcast 5.1?

Yes, with a similar MOTO box, Denon receiver, both coax and optical digital.

Have you chosen a station and a show that is actually sending a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal? My Denon receiver will show Dolby Surround even if the signal is ATSC DD 2.0. It will only show Dolby D if the show is 5.1 DD.

The cable box setup might have to have Audio Output set to Advanced, and Stereo Output set to Matrix (mine is set this way, but I'm not sure if it needs these settings).

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying with the shows that indicate a 5.1 broadcast.

I'm running the signal to the TV using the HDMI. When using the HDMI, it cancels out the audio output at the cable box for the digital coax. Because of this I'm running the digital coax out from my TV. I can only trust at this point that my TV interprets the HDMI input and transfers it correctly as digital audio output.

Do you get into the cable box set up menu by hitting menu while the tuner is off as I do? My box has no advanced audio setting. What is the model # of your box? Perhaps I need an upgrade?

... I can only trust at this point that my TV interprets the HDMI input and transfers it correctly as digital audio output.

Figure that out. It's probably important.

Do you get into the cable box set up menu by hitting menu while the tuner is off as I do? My box has no advanced audio setting. What is the model # of your box? Perhaps I need an upgrade?

DCT6412 Yours has one more tuner than mine, I think, and is slightly newer.

Hit the red MENU button on the remote while the box is on. Main Menu/Setup/Audio Setup. On Audio output, you can select Advanced or Stereo - select Advanced. Under Stereo Output, choose Matrix.

If you don't have to use HDMI (i.e. you don't have to have a one cable connection) just use the component or even the S-video output. According to what I've read elsewhere on several forums, IMO chances are 50/50 the HDMI image will not look better than component and could actually look worse.

And HDMI seems to experience the most problems wherever cable boxes are concerned.

Read more about the HDMI mess and the Hollywood connection (by a company who sells HDMI cables!):

"How the designers of the HDMI standard screwed up, and what's to be done about it."

Less technical discussion: HDMI misconceptions

That was some good reading. Thanks.

I had a set of component video cables that I hooked up to my DVD instead of the S-video. The picture is so much better with the component.

At this point I may scrap the HDMI and go rgb component so I can then hopefully utilize the digital coax for the audio.

I still have more tweaking to do. I'm determined to get 5.1 since I'm shoveling out that extra money each month now for the HDTV.

Looks like the DCT3412 is made for Comcast and not a retail product. The retail version is the DCT6412 (non-HDMI). I found the DCT6412 owners manual on-line, a link is provided below:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/DCT6412/downloads/DCT6412_User_Guide.pdf

This particular unit does not have an OSD set up for audio.

Make sure your AVR is set to Auto. If that doesn't work and you are still positive your AVR will "light up" when a 5.1 source is present, then it may be safe to say that your service provider is not passing the encoded signal (downmix to Dolby Sterio).

Have you tried using PLIIx when listening to your Dolby source?

Last edited:
I am using the DCT6412III from Comcast here in Little Rock and I do get Dolby Digital 5.1 over the optical digital audio connection. The only setting I could find for audio gives me the option of stereo and advanced, I just selected stereo as I believe that only means the audio will processed to a matrixed surround simulation mode of some kind. Just because a given channel shows DD 5.1 that doesn't mean a specific program will be 5.1. Try DiscoveryHD if you get that one or MOJO, those should provide DD 5.1.

Chris

Somehow, someway, I'm now getting it done in 5.1. I went out and purchased another set of component wires for the video, but then low and behold the darn digital coax is now working in conjunction with the HDMI.

Thanks to all for your input.

BTW...in my case, I find the HDMI delivers a better picture.

Back