5.1 versions of The Underfall Yard and Grand Tour will be released but not until next year

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has to be lossless, hate seeing those lossy Dolby mixes.

Am I mad or can you mux 24/48 LPCM on a DVD-V? i.e. without MLP encoding? I'm sure it's possible as the limit is around 9mbps and there doesn't need to be a taxing video stream so that can be no more than say 1.5 mbps.
+1

IIRC it's definitely possible with a 4.0 mix (which happens to be absolutely OK with me), I think there was a KC or JT live recording done under these specs lately. And probably the resolution can go even higher.

Am I mad or can you mux 24/48 LPCM on a DVD-V? i.e. without MLP encoding? I'm sure it's possible as the limit is around 9mbps and there doesn't need to be a taxing video stream so that can be no more than say 1.5 mbps.
Yes if you author the disc as a DVD-A/V, I've done it a few times for people (with Cirlinca!)

Plenty of DVD-Vs (and DVD-As) with non-MLP 24/96 stereo in the DVD-V portion. Way to go if you can afford the bits.

Might be best way to go then as it keeps it lossless and also will be playable in normal DVD players. Also no need to pay licensing fees for MLP encoding. Should be able to fit a hi-res LPCM 24/48 stereo stream plus a 24/48 5.1 LPCM stream on a dual layer DVD.

Might be best way to go then as it keeps it lossless and also will be playable in normal DVD players. Also no need to pay licensing fees for MLP encoding. Should be able to fit a hi-res LPCM 24/48 stereo stream plus a 24/48 5.1 LPCM stream on a dual layer DVD.

The spec doesn't allow for PCM surround I'm afraid.

The better solution may be a DVD-Video for maximum compatibility and 5.1 FLAC files on the DVD-ROM section of the same disc. I’m pretty sure everyone that is serious about surround has a mean to play audio files on their system. This solution allow for hires sound on a simple DVD, easy to author, and without any licensing fees. Only downside, it makes piracy easier. But as it is already very easy…

I must have some out of spec Discs then, I am sure I have some DVD spec 5.1 48/24 PCM discs.

I could be wrong but I can't help thinking we'd have seen more of them if that were the case. I'd be interested in any examples you had. May have been an authoring software rather than a spec limit too.

DVD-Audio uses MLP, a lossless compression codec like FLAC, because there’s not enough bandwidth in the DVD specification to do 5.1 PCM (uncompressed surround audio).

As much as id like it, I cant really see anybody releasing a DVD Audio disc considering there are something like only 2 in-production players available to play it. Its a dead format.

I bumped into Greg this time last week - he has a letter from our Mr Wilkes to digest, but he's now saying it looks like they're going to be BR.

For those in the US and Canada interested in seeing them - check Nellie Pitts Facebook feed. She's just started announcing in dribs and drabs rather then doing a full announcement. Read her caution on travelling!

Back