5 More Vocalion Surround SACD Releases - Earth, Wind & Fire, O'Jays, Harold Melvin & Blue Notes, Miracles, Helen Reddy (Jan 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just checked my Q8 transfer and the ding dings are in the Rears and fairly muted.

they are more predominant in the Rear Left but can also be detected in the Rear Right albeit much more faintly than in the Rear Left.
the ding dings don't appear to be in the Front channels.

i'll pull out the DV SACD now and see what's what, what! 🧐

edit: the ding dings are very faint in the Rear Right altogether, at normal listening levels in the infamous "sweet spot" the ding dings appear to eminate pretty much only from the Rear Left.

edit 2: the ding dings are predominantly in the Rear Left on the new SACD, same as the Q8.

Well at least my hearing is not totally shot. That's pretty much what I am hearing. I did go back to a Q8 rip I did many moons ago, and the dings are subdued there as well. Not sure what I am remembering. Oh well.

NEVERMIND! :)

(and thanks Adam for checking)

Well at least my hearing is not totally shot. That's pretty much what I am hearing. I did go back to a Q8 rip I did many moons ago, and the dings are subdued there as well. Not sure what I am remembering. Oh well.

NEVERMIND! :)

(and thanks Adam for checking)

Hey Jon, you know. I always say...

If you can't remember...well, just forget it. 😆

Whelp.....yesterday my shipment was in Queens, NY. Today, they just left Indianapolis. I think I will have them tomorrow!! Whoopee!!

My shipment of the EWF, O'Jays and Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes SACDs arrived today.
So the Surround Sound SACDs are definitely moving to their destinations! :)

i haven't compared "Shining Star" on the two discs yet but hope to soon 🌈🤩
I always thought that the vocals in the chorus on the AF was slightly muted, which lowered my expectations for the upcoming Dutton Vocalion album. Boy, was I wrong... The muted chorus on Shining Star is still there but EVERYTHING else is fantastic.

I always thought that the vocals in the chorus on the AF was slightly muted, which lowered my expectations for the upcoming Dutton Vocalion album. Boy, was I wrong... The muted chorus on Shining Star is still there but EVERYTHING else is fantastic.

yeah the BVs are a bit more mellow/muted in the Quad mix on that track for sure.

as with all Kleiner & Young Quads (Seven, Cantamos, All American Boy, Piano Man, Turnstiles, Desire) their Quad mixes take some liberties with elements and TTWOTW is no exception, there are often notable differences in balance and prominence as well as alternate takes and parts used.

on the other hand, Spirit's Quad does have some differences from the Stereo but by this stage Keyes was getting more adept in his Quad skills and honed his technique to get his mixes still expansive and immersive but more along the lines of the later Sigma/Philadelphia International Quads from Arthur Stoppe & co., in that they were much less of a deviation from the Stereo and the resulting surround sound was closer to our modern day/5.1 mixes.

man i love everything about this EW&F SACD, played it twice more last night! hope i don't wear the disc out!! 🤣

My shipment of the EWF, O'Jays and Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes SACDs arrived today.
Mine (finally) arrived today also.It's going to be a beautiful listening weekend!
Strangely my December order from DV has not showed up, it's probably stuck in the Christmas rush stuff still somewhere in Athens-Greece..Have my fingers crossed for those!

I'm pretty excited....I'm getting this set of 5, and another one (classical?) to make an even 6. What's amazing is my tracking said it was in Queens, NY just 2 days ago, then Indianapolis yesterday...then in the middle of the night it arrived to Champaign.....and now it's at my local post office getting ready for delivery this afternoon.
Today is Friday, no work tomorrow. I can't wait!!

Sounds like you have your listening materials all worked out for a wonderful immersive discreet surrounding Friday off with a wonderful weekend too. Great stuff ALL of it!

I'm pretty excited....I'm getting this set of 5, and another one (classical?) to make an even 6. .and now it's at my local post office getting ready for delivery this afternoon. Today is Friday, no work tomorrow. I can't wait!!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to hearing Helen Ready. That will be the first one I listen to...

its a good one and a real surprise for me in this latest batch, not least since i didn't know half her renditions of the album tracks at all and there are some great performances and nice arrangements.
the Quad mix seemed maybe a bit more 'surround-ily active' on the "Long Hard Climb" album than on "I Am Woman" but i thoroughly enjoyed both of them and if DV were to do more of her Quads i'm encouraged now to get those as well. the liner notes by our man humprof are excellent too. all-round a nice little unexpected Pop release in this hugely impressive R&B batch 👍

I am not very familiar with any of these titles, but really feel like I should at least try two of them (since I usually order two and two due to import regulations). Which two would you recommend? I am a rock, psych, blues, jazz and funk guy more than a soul guy, but do really like the grittier end of soul, typically early 70s. Kind of leaning towards the O’Jays and Harold Melvin...what am I missing out on if I wait with E,W&F and the Miracles?

I am not very familiar with any of these titles, but really feel like I should at least try two of them (since I usually order two and two due to import regulations). Which two would you recommend? I am a rock, psych, blues, jazz and funk guy more than a soul guy, but do really like the grittier end of soul, typically early 70s. Kind of leaning towards the O’Jays and Harold Melvin...what am I missing out on if I wait with E,W&F and the Miracles?

definitely i'd recommend you pick up the EW&F, for me its the absolute must-own disc of the latest set of releases.

beyond that, given your preferences, the O'Jays has some grittier tracks you may appreciate, mostly on the "Survival" album, 1 or 2 have a pretty hard edge ("Give The People What They Want", "Survival", "Rich Get Richer", "What Am I Waiting For" and maybe "Unity" i think you might enjoy.

the Harold Melvin and Miracles albums are kinda smoother, with some disco inflections that are also on the EW&F and O'Jays but less so.

its tough to be objective because i love all the artists and albums but based on what i think you might like from your posting i'd say the two discs i'd give a try at this time would be the EW&F and O'Jays and see how you go 🙂

EWF, while not as gritty as earlier 70s stuff, has a lot of jazz and African rhythm influences. As well as some nice bits of experimenting with synths here and there. And some flat-out just hot musicianship by a band that wasn’t just some studio cats hired to back up a 4-5 piece singing group. This disc of theirs is less straight-up “soul” than the other 3 by a good measure.

I’d recommend EWF and O’jays first and wait on the other two.

Back