5 More Vocalion Surround SACD Releases - Earth, Wind & Fire, O'Jays, Harold Melvin & Blue Notes, Miracles, Helen Reddy (Jan 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a nice write-up on these titles over at The Second Disc. Nice to see a music blog giving DV some love.

It's so gratifying to hear that Michael Dutton's HERCULEAN EFFORTS are finally getting the respect and positive press he so justly deserves.

When Audio Fidelity shuttered its doors I think we all thought THIS IS IT. No more gravy train. And then out of the wild blue yonder and beyond our wildest imagination a few SACD QUAD titles trickled out of Watford UK from a smallish company that heretofore released quality easy listening, jazz, classical and world music on RBCDs.

And what began as a trickle escalated into a bonanza of steady QUAD SACDs, affordably priced beyond our wildest dreams from the majors who had kept these titles under lock and key.

It might've taken almost 50 long years, but as we ease into a new decade, a combination of Jon Urban's insightful brainchild, QQ Forum, it's dedicated moderators and posters and a reawakening that there was/is indeed a market for uber quality surround titles is coming FULL CIRCLE.

Sorry to unabashedly GUSH over D~V's efforts, but Michael Dutton, IMO, is a genius. And the immense work he has put into each and every release, rummaging through those old QUAD master tapes to ascertain what is releasable, sealing deals with the majors/artists and ensuring that each and every QUAD release is mastered to perfection including newly annotated liner notes ........ what else can I add?

Thank you Michael and all the hardworking staff of Dutton Vocalion in that once sleepy city of Watford UK!

We indeed have a new CITY of ANGELS!

See the source image

Last edited:
While drawing the line at Helen Reddy - which one of these discs new discs (EWF / The O'Jays / Harold Melvin / The Miracles) is the best? I've no clue about the music on any of them contain, or their relative quality but my curiosity has been piqued. Which one should I get?

It's a toss between the first three... find the stereo version on Youtube or a streaming platform and have a listen, so you have already a idea of what you can expect.

While drawing the line at Helen Reddy - which one of these discs new discs (EWF / The O'Jays / Harold Melvin / The Miracles) is the best? I've no clue about the music on any of them contain, or their relative quality but my curiosity has been piqued. Which one should I get?

taking all aspects into account; musical content, sound quality, surround mixes, liner notes, if you were going to choose only one at this stage i would prioritize the EW&F.

then if you like that one, try Harold Melvin..
and if you enjoy that one, then you're ready for The O'Jays.

tbh all 3 of those discs are unmissable and the high-water mark of DV's Quad releases so far, imho.

Last edited:
I was shocked to browse Amazon recently and see all these new SACD / Hybrid's. Not sure if i'm automatically drawn to the artists, but perhaps worth trying some ??

Just arrived! My big fat-pack of nine discs! (Yes, I know about the even-number rule but these all appear to be in perfect condition!).

Ten days from the Sunday evening I ordered them with the usual no-track/regular shipping. This might be their fastest delivery time yet!

Time to get listening.:51QQ
Wow, that's fast.

exactly! It makes me wonder. Normally, I don't buy tracking...
I think it’s just a luck of the draw thing. You being in Illinois and me out west could mean the packages take two entirely different routes to get here. I got lucky on this one.

Either that or someone at D-V knew I’ve been wanting that EWF quad for years now!

taking all aspects into account; musical content, sound quality, surround mixes, liner notes, if you were going to choose only one at this stage i would prioritize the EW&F.

then if you like that one, try Harold Melvin..
and if you enjoy that one, then you're ready for The O'Jays.

tbh all 3 of those discs are unmissable and the high-water mark of DV's Quad releases so far, imho.
EW&F it is. Wish me luck!

So, am I imagining things?

On the title tune to "That's the Way of the World", as the song starts, in the intro, I seem to remember hearing 4 very prominent Xylophone type dings starting at 25 seconds in through 33 seconds in. Sort of a 'ding ding', then 'ding ding'. I can hear them here in the rears, but they are not up front in the mix as I seemed to recall.

Am I...

1) Thinking of the stereo mix
2) Losing my mind
3) Losing my hearing
4) Just forgetting everything

So, am I imagining things?

On the title tune to "That's the Way of the World", as the song starts, in the intro, I seem to remember hearing 4 very prominent Xylophone type dings starting at 25 seconds in through 33 seconds in. Sort of a 'ding ding', then 'ding ding'. I can hear them here in the rears, but they are not up front in the mix as I seemed to recall.

Am I...

1) Thinking of the stereo mix
2) Losing my mind
3) Losing my hearing
4) Just forgetting everything

just checked my Q8 transfer and the ding dings are in the Rears and fairly muted.

they are more predominant in the Rear Left but can also be detected in the Rear Right albeit much more faintly than in the Rear Left.
the ding dings don't appear to be in the Front channels.

i'll pull out the DV SACD now and see what's what, what! 🧐

edit: the ding dings are very faint in the Rear Right altogether, at normal listening levels in the infamous "sweet spot" the ding dings appear to eminate pretty much only from the Rear Left.

edit 2: the ding dings are predominantly in the Rear Left on the new SACD, same as the Q8.

Last edited:
i haven't compared "Shining Star" on the two discs yet but hope to soon 🌈🤩

just from a very brief bit of non-blind A-Bing a few snippets within the track and a touch of careless waveform whispering, they appear pretty similar.. the DV a touch louder, channel assignments seem the same from what i can make out on this song anyway. while i haven't fiddled about with the files yet, just trying to get them closer in volume level by ear it felt like there was maybe a bit more low end on the DV and a general feeling of more texture/definition to the DV, a bit richer maybe.. but a super short playaround, its been a long day and i'm too knackered to go into it properly before i commit to saying i feel one's markedly better than the other (sorry for the late night cop out) but i will look and listen again over the weekend.

DV:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 22.23.13.png

AF:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 22.23.40.png

Back