5 More Vocalion Surround SACD Releases - Earth, Wind & Fire, O'Jays, Harold Melvin & Blue Notes, Miracles, Helen Reddy (Jan 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having got it I am really not sure what to make of it, not what I remembered of the famous song, too much like lift music, I suspect it'll end up in the corner along with Primus and a few of the CDs I got based on listening to albums years ago in the follies of youth whilst not quite on the planet!

Well, with sexual predator Harvey Weinstein off to jail, how apropos, now more than ever, is Helen's I AM WOMAN

Lyrics
I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again
CHORUS
Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman
You can bend but never break me
'cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul
CHORUS
I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand
Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman
Oh, I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
FADE
I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman

I just received Harold, O'Jays, EW&F and 1 more (?) and haven't even had a chance to listen. My posting is down as my home of 22 years is on the chopping or selling block and that is where the 5.1 system is still housed. My wife is slowly clearing the clutter in home #2 so I can give it the big move into a dedicated, but small, entertainment room. Why I went over to bookshelf sized speakers last winter. I have to update my location from Yorkshire to Lancashire, Pennsylvania that is.

As a soon-to-be 70 yr old, I thought about good old Helen and can't get past hearing all the times on FM I heard "I am woman, hear me roar". Yuck.

So dated, cringe-worthy message-bubble-gum. I didn't like her as a singer, that type of bubble-gum or the song when it played on FM, let alone now! I sampled all the songs on Amazon and I don't think even in quad, I could listen to the whole disc even once!

For me, even if it's quad or multichannel, it still has to be music one wants to listen to.

This one is probably the most cringe-worthy title D-V has acquired. If it came to a choice for that style of music, I'd rather listen to The Carpenters ;)

As a soon-to-be 70 yr old, I thought about good old Helen and can't get past hearing all the times on FM I heard "I am woman, hear me roar". Yuck.

So dated, cringe-worthy message-bubble-gum. I didn't like her as a singer, that type of bubble-gum or the song when it played on FM, let alone now! I sampled all the songs on Amazon and I don't think even in quad, I could listen to the whole disc even once!

For me, even if it's quad or multichannel, it still has to be music one wants to listen to.

This one is probably the most cringe-worthy title D-V has acquired. If it came to a choice for that style of music, I'd rather listen to The Carpenters ;)
I have to agree with you on this. I also will probably have to pass on the Helen Reddy. I don't think I've heard 'I am woman ' in 30 years....and that is often enough for me. Though I'm glad DV did issue this, it's just not my cup-of-tea.
...and IMO, The Carpenters are way more listenable!

Last edited:

So dated, cringe-worthy message-bubble-gum. I didn't like her as a singer, that type of bubble-gum or the song when it played on FM, let alone now!
In her defence, Helen sings:

Leave me alone, won't you leave me alone
Please leave me alone, now leave me alone
Oh leave me alone, please leave me alone, yes leave me
Leave me alone, won't you leave me alone
Please leave me alone, now leave me alone
God leave me along, just leave me alone, oh leave me

, I'd rather listen to The Carpenters ;)
I'm playing both in my car :)

IMG20200227194418.jpg
IMG20200227194438.jpg

I have to agree with you on this. I also will probably have to pass on the Helen Reddy. I don't think I've heard 'I am woman ' in 30 years....and that is often enough for me. Though I'm glad DV did issue this, it's just not my cup-of-tea.
...and IMO, The Carpenters are way more listenable!
Poor Helen Reddy...still getting beat up 50 years later for that liberation anthem. I listened to one of the two DV albums the other night while thumbing through a magazine. Pretty mellow stuff.

Back