50th Anniversary Jesus Christ Superstar (various formats)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinojack

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
B79CBA48-07D2-4EF9-9945-DE2607EDF77D.png

10×10″ box set CD edition with a 100-page booklet, featuring an oral history of the album gathered and edited by Lois Wilson of MOJO/Record Collector. Includes new interviews with all key members of original recording & essays by Nile Rodgers (CHIC) and Matt Berry (What We Do In The Shadows/Toast Oof London). Disc three contains previously unreleased guide vocals, demos, B-sides, and rarities. Unreleased material mixed by Nick Davis. Album remastered by Miles Showell and Nick Davis at Abbey Road.

Tracklist
Disc 1:
1. Overture
2. Heaven On Their Minds
3. What’s The Buzz – Strange Thing, Mystifying
4. Everything’s Alright
5. This Jesus Must Die
6. Hosanna
7. Simon Zealotes – Poor Jerusalem
8. Pilate’s Dream
9. The Temple
10. Everything’s Alright
11. I Don’t Know How To Love Him
12. Damned For All Time – Blood Money
Disc 2:
1. The Last Supper
2. Gethsemane (I Only Want To Say)
3. The Arrest
4. Peter’s Denial
5. Pilate And Christ
6. King Herod’s Song (Try It And See)
7. Judas’ Death
8. Trial Before Pilate (Including the 39 Lashes)
9. Superstar
10. Crucifixion
11. John Nineteen: Forty One
Disc 3:
1. Blood Money (Guide Vocal)
2. Herod's Song (Guide Vocal)
3. I Don't Know How To Love Him (Tim Rice Commentary)*
4. This Jesus Must Die (Scat vocal 1)
5. This Jesus Must Die (scat vocal 2)(Unreleased Instrumental)
6. I Don't Know How To Love Him (Single Edit)
7. 1970 Open End Interview with the Creators Of Jesus Christ Superstar Part One (includes Superstar, Heaven On Their Minds, I Don’t Know How To Love Him)
8. 1970 Open End Interview with the Creators Of Jesus Christ Superstar Part Two (includes Gethsemane, Herod’s Song and Superstar)

Wow - this would be great in a hi-res surround format!

I've seen this opera/play live three times. Once in my early teens and twice, back to back (Ted Neeley), with my young daughter who insisted we see it again that same night. Waited till midnight after the two shows to meet Ted Neeley in person. An awesome experience!

Pre-ordered the 3-CD set with new customer 20% discount - Thanks!

Last edited:
I saw the movie (in a shoe box theater, in mono) in 1973, I was very impressed, both by the content and the continuous music. I didn't buy the (MCA/Universal) movie soundtrack LP but I did check out the (Decca) soundtrack LP from my high school library several times.

http://www.blam1.com/DiscoVision/Universal_Pictures/17-002CAV_2.htm
I finally got a copy of the movie in 1986, at an audio/video blowout sale (evidently, the videodiscs had been returned to CMC Stereo stores due to noise in the soundtrack [so says the writing on the paper inner sleeves] and were being sold as is for just a few $). It was fun to finally hear the movie with a stereo soundtrack.

In the late 1980s, I bought the rerelease, it turned out it had a mastering error and the soundtrack was mono, I eventually got the stereo LaserDisc version.

So far, no UHD Blu-ray rerelease.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I saw the movie (in a shoe box theater, in mono) in 1973, I was very impressed, both by the content and the continuous music. I didn't buy the movie soundtrack LP but I did check out the soundtrack LP from my high school library several times.

http://www.blam1.com/DiscoVision/Universal_Pictures/17-002CAV_2.htm
I finally got a copy of the movie in 1986, at an audio/video blowout sale (evidently, the videodiscs had been returned to CMC Stereo stores due to noise in the soundtrack [so says the writing on the paper inner sleeves] and were being sold as is for just a few $). It was fun to finally hear the movie with a stereo soundtrack.

In the late 1980s, I bought the rerelease, it turned out it had a mastering error and the soundtrack was mono, I eventually got the stereo LaserDisc version.

So far, no UHD Blu-ray rerelease.

Kirk Bayne
Sounds like you've never actually heard the original studio recording?

Before the well-known version of the Film Soundtrack I used to like better the Original Studio Recording. I had it in cassette, recorded from a friends LP. What memories, my god!

Ian Gillan voice much better than Ted Neely.
Too bad Ian would rather go on tour with Deep Purple than act like Jesus as a 'superstar'... But Deep Purple had to consolidate, also.

Before the well-known version of the Film Soundtrack I used to like better the Original Studio Recording. I had it in cassette, recorded from a friends LP. What memories, my god!

I cant say the film soundtrack is more well known than the studio album. I would think it's the other way around.

Sounds like you've never actually heard the original studio recording?
(edited my post), also, today I owned the MCA/Universal (CD) soundtrack for about 5 minutes (it's a 2 CD set, checking my purchase before leaving the F.Y.E. store, I found that CD 2 was missing, so I returned the album).

Kirk Bayne

Though I played this to death back in the 70s, it's been years since I listened to the album. But I did purchase a recent live video of it:

1627970270347.png

1627970317939.png

Jesus Christ Superstar Live Arena Tour
  • NR
  • 1h 44m
  • HD
I enjoyed it a lot. I have it on Movies Anywhere streaming and it's eligible for screen pass, which means I can share up to three movies a month. If anyone's interested in checking it out, let me know and I'll send you a link.

Back