5ch Stereo vs. DPLII Receiver Settings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Hey I have 5 CH Stereo and DPL II music on my amp which is better. I had Circle Surround two on my last amp and liked it better than DPL II music.

solaris said:
Hey I have 5 CH Stereo and DPL II music on my amp which is better.

None of the above but it depends on what you like. You should not care what we think.

Kal

Ok what I was really after was any info on how the two systems decode stereo into 5.1. I don't listen to my CD's in 5.1 much so i'm not looking for an outboard decoder. I've heard very little about 5 CH Stereo here.

solaris said:
Ok what I was really after was any info on how the two systems decode stereo into 5.1. I don't listen to my CD's in 5.1 much so i'm not looking for an outboard decoder. I've heard very little about 5 CH Stereo here.

AFAIK, 5channel stereo duplicates the front L/R in the rear L/R and sums them for the center. DPL attempts to extract phase/frequency-based directional cues to synthesize the additional channels. It CAN sometimes be quite successful but 5channel stereo is nothing of that sort.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
It CAN sometimes be quite successful but 5channel stereo is nothing of that sort.

Personnaly, sometimes, I'll try a dsp on an audio CD that I already know by heart, just to hear it in a different way, sometimes it makes something interesting...

I love the 5 channel sound on my Denon receivers.

But since I've bought a Denon 3806, I've been experimenting with DTS Neo6 and DPL II sound effects.

Stuff like David Gilmour's newest can sound very nice in Neo6.

I use Yamaha receivers. My old receiver had 5 ch stereo, and my newer unit (5760) has 7 ch stereo.
Personally, I really like this program. For stereo cd's, it really opens up the sound field. The disc that really impressed me was Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here". At times it even sound very discrete with the 7 channel stereo program.
Very Cool IMHO.
Ryan

It's sometimes absolutely amazing, how some things do subjectively sound like discrete, even though I know perfectly , the information in the rears is the same as the fronts!

Since my Harman Kardon is broken, I use that with an amp which has two pairs of speakers outputs. Old, cheap machine... But it sometimes (especially when I use two different pairs of speakers) it works like true, discrete surround... ah, well, that's what a "surround junkie" like me does...:eek:

Back