Prine Retrospective 10/3 Austin City Limits Season Premier

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I watched this live last night, except for a few points when my wonderful family's activity drew my attention away. It was very entertaining and moving, without being maudlin or schmaltzy, I thought -- just like the man himself. I'd highly recommend this to all Prine fans, or even general Americana fans. It includes great performances of Prine tunes from Isbell/Shires, Bonnie Raitt, Kacey Musgraves, Brandi Carlile, Kurt Vile with Jim James, and many more. Plus tributes by Bill Murray, Billy Bob Thorton, Iris DeMent, and lots of others, and some amusing footage of John, all bound together by commentary from his lovely widow, Fiona.

link to replay on YouTube

I watched this live last night, except for a few points when my wonderful family's activity drew my attention away. It was very entertaining and moving, without being maudlin or schmaltzy, I thought -- just like the man himself. I'd highly recommend this to all Prine fans, or even general Americana fans. It includes great performances of Prine tunes from Isbell/Shires, Bonnie Raitt, Kacey Musgraves, Brandi Carlile, Kurt Vile with Jim James, and many more. Plus tributes by Bill Murray, Billy Bob Thorton, Iris DeMent, and lots of others, and some amusing footage of John, all bound together by commentary from his lovely widow, Fiona.

link to replay on YouTube
According to Rolling Stone, the tribute show stream will only be online through Sunday night (June 13). So if you want to see it, do it today!

Per the Oh Boy Records email newsletter I received today:

"Picture Show: A Tribute Celebrating John Prine" (see discussion above), is re-airing with additional footage on October 10 in celebration of John's 74th birthday, on his YouTube channel.

As I posted in June when it first streamed, I really enjoyed this special, and I'd strongly recommend it to any fan of John Prine, even casual ones, or Americana fans in general.

Back