6 Channel amp - behind the scenes test

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, the full (home) implementation (7.1.4) of Dolby Atmos needs 12 amplifiers, perhaps a 2 channel amplifier with the power switches interconnectable so that 6 2 channel amplifiers could be switched on/off with a single power switch on any of the 6 amplifiers.

Kirk Bayne

IIRC, the full (home) implementation (7.1.4) of Dolby Atmos needs 12 amplifiers, perhaps a 2 channel amplifier with the power switches interconnectable so that 6 2 channel amplifiers could be switched on/off with a single power switch on any of the 6 amplifiers.

Kirk Bayne

Well this is is a six channel amp, so you could get away with two of them for an Atmos setup, if that's what you were into. Though the initial use case for this was to pair with the Surround Master to have 4.1 or 5.1.

I was thinking more of a building block approach, could use 4 2 channel amps for 7.1 and of course 2 for (old school) Quad (or for the stereo purists, only 1 2 channel amp).

Kirk Bayne

Please note how "Dave The Bitch" powered the thing up with a non current limited power supply.......... A brave but silly boy
Oh, he’s one of those! I should have recognized the wild eyed look for what it really is; someone who loves to see little boards burn, hear the sizzle, and smell the victorious solder go up in smoke. It all makes sense now.

Kirk Bayne

Does the term "power strip" mean anything to you? One little switch. :D

Unless, of course, you have 12 amplifiers that together draw more than 15 amperes.

Time to get a second electrical service installed to power the amps?

Last edited:
Does the term "power strip" mean anything to you? One little switch. :D

Unless, of course, you have 12 amplifiers that together draw more than 15 amperes.

Time to get a second electrical service installed to power the amps?
There are now sequencers available that turn things on one at a time so you don't blow a circuit breaker with the turn on surge.

They are available in both "audiophile" and professional versions.

one good set up has recently been discontinued by the manufacturer but is still broadly available on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153874824223?hash=item23d3a77c1f:g:PGQAAOSw3sNeeRnR

There are now sequencers available that turn things on one at a time so you don't blow a circuit breaker with the turn on surge.
They are available in both "audiophile" and professional versions.
Yes, I've been using these professional sequencers for years-
Olson 1.JPG

Olson 2.JPG

Half a second delay between each socket switching on. Absolutely essential for those of us using multiple valve amps each with very large in-rush currents!

who'd have thunk????
Russia!!!
wonder why it's not made in China... like everything else in this plane of existence...
So I guess the USA just can't make them cheap enough given the what; environmental issues with manufacturing them, or simple economics?

The only tubes I've ever had are in my Peavey guitar amp, which I switched out with some nice Groove Tubes 6L6's, maybe in the early 80's. But they sure made that amp sing. I think the Groove Tubes may be made in China now.

Last edited:
So I guess the USA just can't make them cheap enough given the what; environmental issues with manufacturing them, or simple economics?

The only tubes I've ever had are in my Peavy guitar amp, which I switched out with some nice Groove Tubes 6L6's, maybe in the early 80's. But they sure made that amp sing. I think the Groove Tubes may be made in China now.

In a Kansas City suburb (Lee's Summit) there was a huge Western Electric plant. By huge I mean it looked like a ranch style castle made out of lime stone. It shut down in the late 70's. Then in the mid 80's part of it was opened & rented out for the production of vacuum tubes, mostly for audio. I know Kustom guitar amps were a big customer. So that ran for about 10 years & fizzled out. That's last I know of for American production of tubes.

Back