6 channel switcher

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a post in another forum that has been eating at me for several weeks. The post suggested 3 identical remote controlled stereo preamps for 5.1 channel listening. This would give the ability to switch several multichannel sources WITH a single remote to switch them and a single volume control. What a cool idea! I just have to find a model that is readily available on the used market for decent prices, and that is short enough height-wise to allow for the 3 to be stacked without taking up too much room in the system.

Since most DVD/SACD players decode DD and DTS, the processing function of most A/V receivers is a bit redundant, and tuners are a dime a dozen IF you even want one any more. Most of us are using legacy Sansui and/or Tate decoders for synthing stereo sources, so the lack of a "decoder" is not a big deal either.

Just thinking out loud. I thought is was kind of a cool idea. I am currently using a Yamaha A/V receiver just as a pre-pro with 3 (very slim) Bryston 2B-LP power amps, so this idea will likely give me better sound as well. Cheers, Mike.

Has anybody used a component video switcher for multiple 5.1 audio sources? The three component video jacks, R/L audio and coaxial audio could switch the 6 lines which means s-video or a separate video switcher would have to be used for switching the video function. I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work.

Chris

I've come across this problem myself now I have a separate SACD unit.

I briefly went into a JB Hi-Fi (my first big mistake ;) ) and asked some their if they had anything but was met with the cocky response of "A company called Nexus custom make 'em for about $500" (!?!). Not knowing the area, I asked him if their was a Hi-Fi speciality store near by to which he replied "They'd all stock the same stuff mate" (...sometimes I bring this on myself by asking these clowns at "franchise stores" anything :mad: ...that said I supose at least he knew what the hell SACD was in the first place :D ).

Anyway, after hunting around I found out that Dick Smith sells a 3 x 3-way (1 Video 2 Audio) RCA switchbox for about $29.95AUD. With two of these suckers you could get three 6-channel inputs for only about $60. However, if using video channels are causing grief then would making a switchbox from Jaycar/Dick Smith/Radio Shack parts from stratch be an opition?

Last edited:
I Just Orderd My From Hdtvsupply.com I Talk To Jim The Head Of The Company He Said It's Passive And No LOSS And Little Heat Due To External Power / Trainman92

Last edited:
The easiest thing is what Neil is suggesting. Otherwise I would just buy 3 A/V (or just audio switching if you can find it) and use the audio portions of each one making a total of 6 available lines to switch to 2 units. I have often considering buying a standalone SACD player but when I add up the extra cables required for this along (12 extra cables) with the 3 switching units I usually come to the conclusion that my 45a is "good enough". This extra equipment would likely cost more than the actual SACD player.

I have always used two A/V switches from Radio Shack for 5.1 switching, never had any trouble. I suspect that in spite of how the inputs and outputs are marked (l&r audio, video) they are all identical. Same with the A/V cables, any of them can be used for the audio or video signal, whether marked red, white, or yellow, at least the gold plated high end ones.

I have always used two A/V switches from Radio Shack for 5.1 switching, never had any trouble. I suspect that in spite of how the inputs and outputs are marked (l&r audio, video) they are all identical. Same with the A/V cables, any of them can be used for the audio or video signal, whether marked red, white, or yellow, at least the gold plated high end ones.

I am using 3 of the Russound AX-6 input switcher units. They each have 6 stereo inputs, which is more than enough for my 5.1 channel AND vintage quad sources (that all work through a pair of DBX 200 selectors). Yeah, you have to turn 3 knobs, but that is a minor inconvenience to me. In combination with the DBX units, they virtually guarantee that no woman will ever screw with it. :D Mike.

I Have Two Sacd Players 45a & 2910 I'm Also Have 1/3 Eqs For All 7 Channels So 45a Is Backup But I Want Same Eqing For Both Units Going To My 2805 ,The Hd4.1 Will Fill My Needs / Trainman92

Last edited:
I Just Installed My Zektor Hds4.1 In My Denon 2805 With My Denon 2910 & My Pioneer 563a Into Input 1&2 Thru My 7, 1/3 Eqs It Works Great ! Thanks For The Heads Up Hhiggins /trainman92

Back