6 New Dutton Epoch Classical and Soundtrack Quad SACDs Feb. 16, 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek, with D~V's 'definitive' discrete Quadraphonic release of L. Bernstein's THE PLANETS, billed back in the day as A SONIC SPACE SPECTACULAR, I believe your [space] ship has finally arrived! Even Steelydave who pens liner notes for many of D~V's releases stated that Michael J. Dutton was 'particularly proud' of this release.

See the source image
By all means wait until someone here receives their disc if you want to be totally sure, but Mike confirmed to me that this release is from the original quad master and not whatever it is that Sony used 20 years ago, which seemed to be the front channels of the quad mix and fake reverb in the rears. D-V are well aware of these old problematic Sony releases and part of the reason they're doing new releases like this one (and the Boulez Conducts Bartok) is to rectify these issues.

It sounds like the planets have finally aligned for the release of a stellar multichannel mix of The Planets - woohooo! :D

While I put together a new DV order....Im getting the first three listed of the new 6 classical.... the Bernstein Rite of Passage disc from an older release group has been mentioned as a good choice. However I am confused as the credits say the selections were taken from quad lps but Michael Dutton has remixed them.
So are you getting the 70s quad mix or Mr Duttons new quad remix? Why would he remix an already available quad mix if so?

Im also thinking of getting the Vivaldi 4 Seasons release, although I have the quad lp and am burned out on this popular work ( frequently heard almost as much as Stairway to Heaven) it is paired with some Vivaldi concertos that look interesting.
On that disc the Rite of Spring is a vintage quad mix. The Symphony of Psalms and Poulenc Gloria are a new quad mix.

The Vivaldi is also great, as you know.

The Q8 of this version of The Planets is amazing, tons of discrete organ in the rear speakers. Can't wait to hear it cleaned up!
You need The Planets because it's mixed by quadraphonic master-blaster Larry Keyes (just ask fan club president @fredblue ) and Columbia were so sure of its bonafides that they marketed the quad version of the album as "A Sonic Space Spectacular." The old Sony mch SACD of this album is a well-documented mess, missing the rear channel information from the quad mix, and this new version completely rectifies these errors. When I spoke to Mike last week he was particularly enthusiastic about the quality of this mix.
I've got lots of The Planets but like many here, I'm still holding out for that stellar surround mix of The Planets to top them all (in the same way Ormandy's Shostakovich 5 is the best genuine multichannel option of that piece by a country mile).

Giving this a proper listen today and it's truly glorious--easily one of the five best quad classicals I own. This Planets is my new go-to. Being introduced to some unfamiliar Benjamin Britten, with an equally impressive mix, is a bonus.

Giving this a proper listen today and it's truly glorious--easily one of the five best quad classicals I own. This Planets is my new go-to. Being introduced to some unfamiliar Benjamin Britten, with an equally impressive mix, is a bonus.

As I did mention in a previous post, I was THRILLED with the entirety of Dutton Epoch's 6 classical releases including Candide, Trouble in Tahiti and No No Nanette! And I could never imagine the turntables and decoders of the early 70's ever possibly fully decoding these discs as admirably as Michael J. Dutton has achieved accessing the original analogue QUAD master tapes. Almost IMPOSSIBLE! And the mastering of said discs is IMPECCABLE, IMO!

And his inclusion of bonus material to fill out each disc and charge such reasonable prices maintaining superb quality control throughout has earned D~V a truly solid enviable reputation in the annals of QUAD reissues .... BAR NONE!

Last edited:

I'd love to know what your top five are, as far as a surround classical starter pack.

I'd love to know what your top five are, as far as a surround classical starter pack.

Ooo...I was afraid somebody would call me on that. Well, all Dutton Epochs (if we're talking quad, anyway). Before the Holst/Britten disk--and the Leonard Berstein Candide, which was in that same February batch of releases--came along, these probably would have been my top five, in no particular order:
  • Mahler, Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4 (Dutton 2CDLX 7344)
  • Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky & Lt. Kije (Dutton CDLX 7362)
  • Shostakovich, Symphonies Nos. 5 & 15 (Dutton 2CDLX 7370)
  • Both volumes of Boulez Conducts Stravinsky (Dutton 7343 & 7377)
  • The first volume of Boulez Conducts Bartok (with the Concerto for Orchestra) (Dutton 7360)
I'm sure I could name five more that are close seconds. There are several great mixes/performances in the Pentatone Remastered Classics series, too, most but not all of them featuring Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony. But the music on the Duttons, above, gets a slight edge. (Personal preference/YMMV.) And if Michael Dutton ever reissues Leonard Bernstein's Mass, then Prokofiev loses his spot.

Last edited:
Dutton / Vocalion has a new offering of Classical SACD's with Multichannel content.

Dutton Epoch’s June 2022 release features French and English chamber music alongside orchestral music by such varied composers as Richard Arnell, Arthur Sullivan, and Benjamin Godard. Among the chamber titles are the piano quintets of Susan Spain-Dunk, Walford Davies, and Alfred Wall, immaculately performed by the Tippett Quartet and pianist Lynn Arnold, while the orchestral titles include Richard Arnell’s early orchestral works, and Arthur Sullivan’s L’île Enchantée ballet music, in masterful readings by the English Chamber Orchestra (under Martin Yates) and the BBC Concert Orchestra (under John Andrews) respectively.

Dutton / Vocalion has a new offering of Classical SACD's with Multichannel content.

Dutton Epoch’s June 2022 release features French and English chamber music alongside orchestral music by such varied composers as Richard Arnell, Arthur Sullivan, and Benjamin Godard. Among the chamber titles are the piano quintets of Susan Spain-Dunk, Walford Davies, and Alfred Wall, immaculately performed by the Tippett Quartet and pianist Lynn Arnold, while the orchestral titles include Richard Arnell’s early orchestral works, and Arthur Sullivan’s L’île Enchantée ballet music, in masterful readings by the English Chamber Orchestra (under Martin Yates) and the BBC Concert Orchestra (under John Andrews) respectively.

Will probably add a few of these latest Dutton Epoch classical multi~CH SACDs to my next order when D~V releases their next batch of rock/jazz/pop/easy listening SACDs which Steelydave assured us would be arriving SOON!

To support the cause and Michael Dutton's absolute dedication to excellence, I ordered all six titles plus added a few sale discs and specified priority s/h.

I know a lot of QQ posters are disappointed this latest batch didn't include any Rock, Pop nor Jazz 'goodies' but what he did release from the RCA Red Seal and Columbia Masterworks QUAD/STEREO catalogue not to mention the bonus material [in QUAD, no less] represents a wonderful cross section from the early QUADRAPHONIC era.

Once this pandemic ends and things get back to normal, Michael will no doubt canvas the RCA/COLUMBIA and even UNIVERSAL QUAD pop/rock/jazz catalogues to titillate QQ Forum's IN CROWD with more contemporary fare.

And with NO price increases, Dutton Vocalion continues to release, IMO, an amazing assortment of music across ALL genres in stunning state of the art sonics!
Looking at the site now… Am I understanding that there are discrete original quad mixes of say ,Moot The Hoople , that have been transferred to CD SACD for modern decoding?
Years ago someone on here had discrete quad mixes on CD that I purchased…
Also, I assume they ship to US? Cheers!

Looking at the site now… Am I understanding that there are discrete original quad mixes of say ,Moot The Hoople , that have been transferred to CD SACD for modern decoding?
Years ago someone on here had discrete quad mixes on CD that I purchased…
Also, I assume they ship to US? Cheers!
Yup! For Mott the Hoople only the first album was done in quadraphonic, and it's presented transferred from the original master tape, no decoding needed. They do ship to the USA.

Back