6 New Dutton Epoch Classical and Soundtrack Quad SACDs Feb. 16, 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To support the cause and Michael Dutton's absolute dedication to excellence, I ordered all six titles plus added a few sale discs and specified priority s/h.

I know a lot of QQ posters are disappointed this latest batch didn't include any Rock, Pop nor Jazz 'goodies' but what he did release from the RCA Red Seal and Columbia Masterworks QUAD/STEREO catalogue not to mention the bonus material [in QUAD, no less] represents a wonderful cross section from the early QUADRAPHONIC era.

Once this pandemic ends and things get back to normal, Michael will no doubt canvas the RCA/COLUMBIA and even UNIVERSAL QUAD pop/rock/jazz catalogues to titillate QQ Forum's IN CROWD with more contemporary fare.

And with NO price increases, Dutton Vocalion continues to release, IMO, an amazing assortment of music across ALL genres in stunning state of the art sonics!
So much great music…so little time to fully indulge.

(For those of you out there putting off retirement, thinking that you’ll have all the time in the world to do everything you want when you finally pull the trigger…YOU’RE WRONG.) 😱😱😱😱😱😱

I personally think it's a clever move by the Wizards. In releasing material that may not see the light of day on Apple etc. As I expect there are further Rock and Pop releases being streamed soon, in 5.1, which may have also been considered by the magician, before the goalposts were moved.

I'm probably going to order all 6!!

I personally think it's a clever move by the Wizards. In releasing material that may not see the light of day on Apple etc. As I expect there are further Rock and Pop releases being streamed soon, in 5.1, which may have also been considered by the magician, before the goalposts were moved.

I'm probably going to order all 6!!

Or as us Yanks call it: An Elf sighting in the Potato Patch! 🥔🥔🥔🥔

You're so damn needy ...but I'd recommend the new Pierre Boulez WAGNER QUAD SACD from D~V ....will rattle your rafters, Mikey and Boulez's QUAD masters are always discrete

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7392
Boulez was the major conductor who most got into quad - his background as an avant-garde composer meant he was familiar with a lot of avant-garde/electronic music being made in the 50s and 60s, so he was much more open to these sorts of sonic manipulations to provide a different listening experience. Compare with Ormandy, who was much older and whose recordings are typically much more of an audience perspective.

Speaking of, while the Ives 2nd has been reissued in Dolby Surround, the only CD issue of the Holidays symphony is a Japanese reissue also available as a CD-R. Classics Today calls it the reference recording.

My order also shipped a few hours ago. Exciting!

Let the floodgates open! Very excited for the Candide and the Ives. And Boulez-Conducts-Anything is bound to have a great mix. I don't really need yet another Planets but I'll take Bernstein's. And I don't particularly enjoy the flute, but the Galway album is a Michael Dutton mix of material never before released in quad, so...that makes 5. Now I just have to come up with a sixth, in observance of the GOS shipping rule.

You need The Planets because it's mixed by quadraphonic master-blaster Larry Keyes (just ask fan club president @fredblue ) and Columbia were so sure of its bonafides that they marketed the quad version of the album as "A Sonic Space Spectacular." The old Sony mch SACD of this album is a well-documented mess, missing the rear channel information from the quad mix, and this new version completely rectifies these errors. When I spoke to Mike last week he was particularly enthusiastic about the quality of this mix.

It's also worth mentioning (for me anyway) that the Wagner Siegfried Idyll/Love Feast of the Apostles disc is the very last Columbia Masterworks quad release, both numerically (M 35130) and date-wise: the phonographic copyright is 1978, but the Library of Congress website and several reviews in trade publications (page 93 of this one, for example) suggest the album didn't come out until the spring of 1979. Also, as a single-inventory quad release (and like all of the Masterworks quad releases from about 1976 onward) this was an SQ-only LP release, so this is the first time the discrete master is being heard since Ray Moore mixed it in 1978.

Why not add Lenny Bernstein's THE PLANETS...considered in its day to be a sonic spectacular. The original SONY Multi~CH SACD was an abomination and I understand the original Columbia QUAD masters contained a lot more discrete info. If I'm incorrect by those who've heard the SQ Vinyl properly decoded...then correct me.
I cannot find this specific title. Anyone have a link?

Back