7.1 by using TWO Surround Masters?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I was reading some information on DPLIIx. According to Roger Dressler, creator of DPLIIx, the decoder takes the L-surround and R-surround and processes them into 4 channels (See note). So I began to wonder if a successful 7.1 presentation can be achieved by cascading two Surround Masters:

- The front channel outputs of SM"A" would be routed to the front amplifiers/speakers as usual, but
- The rear channel outputs of SM"A" would be routed to the inputs of SM"B" thereby matrixing the surrounds into 4 channels as with DPLIIx.
- The outputs from SM"B" would then be routed to the surrounds and rears of a 7.1 setup.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone with an old and a new SM willing to give it a go? Or have I now really gone off the bloody deep end?

Note: See post #11 here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/1307055-dolby-pro-logic-iix-explained.html

I was reading some information on DPLIIx. According to Roger Dressler, creator of DPLIIx, the decoder takes the L-surround and R-surround and processes them into 4 channels (See note). So I began to wonder if a successful 7.1 presentation can be achieved by cascading two Surround Masters:

- The front channel outputs of SM"A" would be routed to the front amplifiers/speakers as usual, but
- The rear channel outputs of SM"A" would be routed to the inputs of SM"B" thereby matrixing the surrounds into 4 channels as with DPLIIx.
- The outputs from SM"B" would then be routed to the surrounds and rears of a 7.1 setup.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone with an old and a new SM willing to give it a go? Or have I now really gone off the bloody deep end?

Note: See post #11 here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/1307055-dolby-pro-logic-iix-explained.html

I have considered how to do this also. What I think would work is use one SM for front chs, then phase/polarity invert the original right ch input to the 2nd SM. Then the front 3 outputs of 2nd SM would represent Lb/Rb/Cb. Speaker polarity would need to be reversed in the Rb.

Not sure it would be worth another $500.....

I have an increasing number of SM units (!) so could try variants of this. I also have several pairs of identical large floor standing speakers that could be pressed into service, but two things prevent me from attempting any such thing:
(1) the lack of a single room big enough to bring it all together
(2) fears for my sanity

Back