7.1 question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rck60s

So i am looking today at Fry's for 7.1 receivers and I noticed on 3 of them I looked at they had Rear Surround RCA jacks...My Oppo does not have those jacks so how would I be able to use the 7.1? Does the receiver just convert the signal internally for the rear speakers ? This is totally confusing to me...I think I need the rear speakers due to the size of my room but I don't want to have to buy a new DVD player as my Oppo is great...I am going out thru the 5.1 analog out puts

If you have a DTS-EX or DD-ES signal the processor in the receiver decodes to 7.1 channels. DPLII and DTS Neo both will also synthesize a 7.1 surround from stereo. I have a 7.1 receiver that I used to have set up as 7.0 but I lack room at the moment and am running 5.0 - I don't feel I'm missing much.

So in other words you can't use the analog outs from the player for 7.1 you have to pass a digital signal via optical or HDMI and let the 7.1 receiver decode the 7.1 digital input from the player. The player will internally decode up to 5.1

So in other words you can't use the analog outs from the player for 7.1 you have to pass a digital signal via optical or HDMI and let the 7.1 receiver decode the 7.1 digital input from the player. The player will internally decode up to 5.1

If that is the case it is a deal breaker for me....I like the way it sounds thru the analog inputs

If that is the case it is a deal breaker for me....I like the way it sounds thru the analog inputs

I have heard 7.1 (with movies) and I couldn't notice that much difference. This was in a Home Theater which truly was a home theater. >$40,000. We flipped back and forth between DTS 5.1 and DTS 7.1. I just don't know what all the fuss is about. Maybe it depends on the soundtrack. I guess I listen to mainly SACD and DVD-A discs and movies are secondary so 7.1 is just not a factor at this point.

I was looking to set my room up the way yours is in your avatar.....

The Lord of the Rings DVDs are in DD-EX, and as I recall and there is information in the rears (as well as the surrounds). It was nice to have, but for the few discs with DD-EX or DTS-ES I don't think it's a great improvement over 5.1. I figure that it adds a certain amount of future proofness to have 8 channel inputs though.

Remember that no movie or music mixes are being delivered in any x.1 higher than 6.1 - DD-EX and DTS-ES are both 6.1 formats, adding a center rear, sometimes played with one speaker, sometimes two speakers, sometimes an array.

The 7.1 receivers and processors all are using DSP to spread the sound in different ways - sometimes great-sounding, sometimes not.

Sony's SDDS is a 7.1 format (with five speaker channels behind the screen) but thankfully was never ported to the home. BRD and HDDVD both can carry eight channels, so who knows what the future will hold for discrete multichannel mixes and delivery.

The problems of imaging to our right and left, and for height, are probably what should be addressed if additional channels are available.

Back