7 More Dutton Vocalion Releases in July 2019 - Guess Who, Paul Revere & Raiders, Charlie Rich

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received confirmation from D~V that 5 QUAD SACD titles have shipped [the other two shipped last week] ...... including the delayed Charlie Rich two~fer! And thanks Adam for sharing those inserts/liner notes, etc. with us poor unfortunates across the pond who won't be receiving them for a few weeks.o_O

did we all notice that, according to the tape box photo, the Raiders Hard 'N' Heavy Quad mix was done in 1968..??

before the album even came out!!!

amazing to think that CBS were doing Quad mixes that early on.

i wonder what other unreleased treasures there might be.. we know about the unreleased Quads of Edgar Winter's White Trash, Johnny Winter's Second Winter, S&G's Bookends, Cheap Thrills, BS&T's Child Is Father To The Man, Leonard Cohen's Songs Of Love And Hate.. but what else could there be from '68, '69, '70..? a lot of great albums in that timeframe that never saw Quad release.. hmm 🤔

did we all notice that, according to the tape box photo, the Raiders Hard 'N' Heavy Quad mix was done in 1968..??

before the album even came out!!!

amazing to think that CBS were doing Quad mixes that early on.

i wonder what other unreleased treasures there might be.. we know about the unreleased Quads of Edgar Winter's White Trash, Johnny Winter's Second Winter, S&G's Bookends, Cheap Thrills, BS&T's Child Is Father To The Man, Leonard Cohen's Songs Of Love And Hate.. but what else could there be from '68, '69, '70..? a lot of great albums in that timeframe that never saw Quad release.. hmm 🤔

Hopefully, Adam, now that the great Mark Wilder has entered the picture, some of those treasures might finally be unearthed ..... and RELEASED. Wouldn't that be EXTRA~SPECIAL????

Hopefully, Adam, now that the great Mark Wilder has entered the picture, some of those treasures might finally be unearthed ..... and RELEASED. Wouldn't that be EXTRA~SPECIAL????

Yes!!! Yesssss...!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!! 😁
ok time for beddy-byes, ttfn Ralpheeo!! 😴
see you in my beaded dreams through turquoise eyes (eyes - eyes - eyes - eyes)!! :smokin

Makes me wonder if Collage or Pink Puzz were ever done? Now, I've never heard or read anything that said they were, but you'd think now if they actually completed Hard & Heavy, why not do the two intervening albums? Besides, I really liked Collage.... has some great tunes on there! Think Twice, Just Seventeen, The Boys in the Band, Gone - Movin' On '69 (the version I prefer).... and it's a much more rippin', harder-edged album than Hard & Heavy or Pink Puzz were.

I still can't believe it did so poorly in the charts.

Really looking forward to some nice things. I mean if they were willing to spend a few balloons on having Mark Wilder mixing a couple of tracks into quad to finish off a partially completed album, then that is a great sign. It's good too that Sony vaults are in order and the multis were there to begin with.

Now, let's see if Clarke's School Days is there, and some others that really need to be rescued from oblivion.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to some nice things. I mean if they were willing to spend a few balloons on having Mark Wilder mixing a couple of tracks into quad to finish off a partially completed album, then that is a great sign. It's good too that Sony vaults are in order and the multis were there to begin with.

Mark Wilder was also involved in the creation of "The Collection" on Surround SACD from the Sony Music Vaults on Audio Fidelity.

Now, let's see if Clarke's School Days is there, and some others that really need to be rescued from oblivion.

yes its quite something, they should be making a bigger fuss of it on their site/in their marketing, reckon it would've cost a fair few quid to commission those mixes.. and its wonderful the multitracks were there in order to do it! amazing effort on DV's part, going above and beyond and collaborating with Sony's top brass resulting in one of the best DV Surround SACD releases so far imho (and there've been a number of excellent releases already!!)

Mark Wilder was also involved in the creation of "The Collection" on Surround SACD from the Sony Music Vaults on Audio Fidelity.

Some brief background on Mark Wilder

http://www.batterystudios.com/engineers/mark-wilder.html
Mark's Battery Mastering Studio in New York City
Mark Wilder Mastering Studio

I'm not familiar with Paul Revere & The Raiders, though I spy an Easybeats cover on one of those LPs, which could tip me over to buy the disc after a single listen. ;) I'm getting close to ten quad SACDs on my D-V wishlist, and considering the fact that our dollar is above 54 pence now, there's no time like the present to place an order! 😁

I'm not familiar with Paul Revere & The Raiders, though I spy an Easybeats cover on one of those LPs, which could tip me over to buy the disc after a single listen. ;) I'm getting close to ten quad SACDs on my D-V wishlist, and considering the fact that our dollar is above 54 pence now, there's no time like the present to place an order! 😁

Even for us Yanks, the English Pound to the American dollar is $1.21 ...... probably THE lowest it has ever been in recent memory. Besides, D~V's pricing, most especially their two~fers even with s/h from the UK is EXTRAORDINARILY inexpensive!

no but orders with the Charlie Rich 2-fer have started shipping!! yeay!! 🎉

View attachment 42175

They did indeed ship Charlie Rich earlier this week. And the 7 Surround SACDs arrived here earlier today.
Time to start copying the DSD files and getting the DAC ready for some Sony Music Surround Listening from DV..... :)

My 4 pack showed up today, ordered the day they were announced. Once again, the "D-V Rule of Four" applied, and I have ZERO cracked jewel boxes. Very glad to get these, even though the Charlie Rich was still kinda warm! :)

Can't wait to crank up "Share the Land".

"What good is it?"

My 4 pack showed up today, ordered the day they were announced. Once again, the "D-V Rule of Four" applied, and I have ZERO cracked jewel boxes. Very glad to get these, even though the Charlie Rich was still kinda warm! :)

Can't wait to crank up "Share the Land".

"What good is it?"
Maybe, I’ve just been lucky, but my last two orders have been 3 packs and I’ve yet to have a cracked jewel box. Just placed an order for another 3 pack moments ago: The Guess Who - Rockin/Best Of Vol 2, The Guess Who - American Woman/Share The Land, and Tomita - Ravel.

Back