70'S QUAD FM SYNDICATIONS AND SIMULCASTS-OTHER THAN BBC, KBFH

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October 26,1974 page 03;
G E Tests Discrete at KIOI FM San Francisco .

.....WQIV FM is in litigation and prevented from broadcasting in QS Quad any Rock music .

.....page 68 ;
The DSR production "On Tour " is broadcast in QS and syndicated to 150 FM stations . The principals are ;
Stu Cook , Doug Clifford -(CCR) ,and Gary Ross . The DSR acts so far are : DAVE MASON , POCO, RORY GALLAGHER , BOZ SCAGGS , FOGHAT , ELO , and STEVE MILLER . So far they have 9 remotes , and their Head quarters are in L A , and they have the Cosmos Factory studio in Berkeley . They have a mobile GMC Truck equipped for monitoring in quad , stereo and mono that uses Altec and Mackintosh equipment.
They also record the Concord Jazz Fest for the Concord Record label.

November 02 ,1974 page 28;
WCLV FM Cleveland "Live At Severance Hall " with the Cleveland Orchestra , broadcasts in SQ . The show is distributed in the U S and Canada on 74 stations and starts November 24 th.

November 09 ,1974 page 22;
G E tests quad discrete broadcasts at San Francisco's Playboy Club.

.....page 24 ;
"Live On Air In Quad " is to start on WQIV FM NY in QS . All New York aircasts are from Nightclubs and Concert Halls broadcast in QS (ROCK). The Station Manager is an Engineer and will be responsible for the quad mixes which commence November 24th.
-WWWW FM Detroit will be broadcasting 24 hours in quad , in QS.

.....page 31;
The Boston Symphony Orchestra and The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra are quad encoded for subscribing stations . The BSO is available in SQ and QS , Cleveland Orchestra in SQ .

November 30,1974 page 06 ;
JAMES COTTON will be broadcast live in QS from Electric Lady Studios New York on WQIV FM . THE OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS , are to follow .

.....ppage 29 ;
The Discrete quad tests on KIOI FM Frisco have wrapped up.

December 07,1974 page 22 ;
Electric Lady Studios , are mixing in quad THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND and JAMES COTTON for broadcasts on WQIV FM for Sunday nights .(QS)

.....page 26 + 35 ;
WBUS FM Miami now broadcasts in quad (no format mention).
KMEI FM Los Angeles is broadcasting the Rosebowl Parade in SQ .
WORJ FM Orlando is broadcasting in SQ a simulcast with WSWB (CH 35 ) , the artist is HEARTSFIELD .

December 14,1974 page 56 ;
TOM JONES live in Japan will be broadcast in QS (60 mins) by all 4 of Tokyo's FM stations on December 01.
Also NANCY WILSON will be featured , on Sansui's Four Channel Golden Stage in QS on December 08th.

.....page 66 ;
KWST FM Detroit will be broadcasting in QS soon . They will feature live acts as well as regular programing.
WABX FM Detroit is already broadcasting in QS .

December 21, 1974 page 27 ;
There are 14.1 % of radio stations now broadcasting in some form of Matrix Quadraphonic.

:)

August 10 ,1974 page 35 ;
KZAP FM , Sacramento is broadcasting Prog Rock in SQ quad . In the past (1971), they have done a 3ch Discrete transmission as well as matrix quad .

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that before giving up on quad entirely they were actually using QS.

I hadn't yet discovered them by 1971 so have no memory of the 3-channel thing, but I'm intrigued! I know that they participated in the discrete quad demo out of K-101 via a simulcast with KSFM. That's the show that had the first half shared here a couple years ago. Or 100 years ago...time is weird lately.

I still remember Gordo one night playing "Chain of Fools"...that little guitar bit started up and I said "I know what this is!" but then...it was different. Didn't confirm that I had heard the quad mix until decades later.

And now the dumb teenager who was confused by that song is actually affiliated with the current incarnation of KZAP. Life is weird.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that before giving up on quad entirely they were actually using QS.

I hadn't yet discovered them by 1971 so have no memory of the 3-channel thing, but I'm intrigued! I know that they participated in the discrete quad demo out of K-101 via a simulcast with KSFM. That's the show that had the first half shared here a couple years ago. Or 100 years ago...time is weird lately.

I still remember Gordo one night playing "Chain of Fools"...that little guitar bit started up and I said "I know what this is!" but then...it was different. Didn't confirm that I had heard the quad mix until decades later.

And now the dumb teenager who was confused by that song is actually affiliated with the current incarnation of KZAP. Life is weird.

Thanks for the information @atrocity . It's nice to hear these little stories from people who were actually there . It adds a lot of realism to those local quad broadcasts from the past.
I know myself , that I missed out on some local quadcasts , all because of early quad confusion and a lack of information.

Feel free to share anytime. :)

mmmm...
KZAP.jpg

BUDDA.jpg

January 11,1975 page 41;
There are now 38 QS quad stations broadcasting 24 hours per day.

February 01,1975 page 24 ;
WBUS FM Miami , a 24 hour quad station, are doing simulcasts of jazz concerts featuring : JOE WILLIAMS , MAYNARD FERGUSON , JAMES MOODY , and THE MIAMI COMMUNITY ORCHESTRA . (no format mentioned)

.... page 35 ;
.The Agora Cincinnati and Chicago's B'ginnings will expand to use concerts from Los Angeles (Starwood) , Frisco (Orphans ) , New York (The Bottom Line ) , and Cincinnati's (Reflections) .
(I found that this little article was worth mentioning although there is no mention of quad being broadcast , as it is now known by this time that the Agora /Agency Recording is well involved in quad matrix broadcasting --Reference : July 07 ,73 page 14 )

February 15 ,1975 page 36 +38;
The NQRC have concluded Discrete FM tests .

.....page 51 ;
A MILES DAVIS jazz concert has been broadcast with Sansui's QS in Japan .

February 22 ,1975 page 06 + 74;
Justin Hayward and John Lodge's Blujays quad album is to have a debut hearing at Carnegie Hall from March 02-March 10th. (Not really a broadcasting thing but I thought it was nevertheless interesting to mention)

March 01,1975 page 30 ;
WNYC FM debuts "Stereo Festival" ( no mention of quad format, however it is noted in my post #02 of this thread that this was broadcast in SQ matrix as a simulcast with Ch 31)

.....page 37 ;
QS station guide showing 40 stations broadcasting 24 hours .

March 08, 1975 page 39;
THE GUESS WHO are doing a live concert at Electric Lady Studios for WQIV FM NY .

(Sorry for the 6 dates in this post s/b only 3 per post )

May 03,1975 page 22;
Fresno California Concept 4 Productions features a 1 or 2 hour weekly SQ quad program "Weekly Showcase" .
QS is also available .

June 07 ,1975 page 22;
KMET FM has weekly program shows in QS.

.....page 26;
WJMD FM Chevy Chase Md . is broadcasting 24 hour quad. (no mention of format)

.....page 76;
Quadcasts are available in SQ from RPM out of Detroit .

June 21 ,1975 page 23;
WIQB FM Ann Arbor Michigan are broadcasting in quad (no mention of format).

May 17,1975 page22+23;
KARD FM Witchita Kansas is broadcasting 24 hours in QS .
KMET FM Los Angeles has a Sansui QS Encoder
(sorry for going backwards , I overlooked these 2 yesterday)

July 05,1975 page 06;
WRVR FM NY airs SQ Jazz for The Newport Jazz Festival . Two shows from The Village Gate featuring GEORGE DUKE , ANDREW WHITE , RON CARTER ,and THE JAZZ SISTERS. And one from The Hotel Drake featuring : DAVE BRUBECK , PAUL DESMOND and GEORGE WEIN . (Also there is an advert on page 37 of June 28,75).

July 12,1975 page 20;
KIOI FM is doing Discrete and matrix tests.

August 02 ,1975 page 30;
Pioneer backs SQ Encode of New Jersey Symphony Orchestra (featuring Tchaikowski and Russian violinist Viktor Tretyakov) A 90 minute broadcast is free to participating Pioneer stations . The SQ quad was mixed at Bell Sound Studios N. Y.

August 23,1975 page 19;
WKTK FM Baltimore is broadcasting quad . (no mention of format)

August 30 ,1975 page 12;
WQIV FM NY has been switched to WNCN Classical . They are still broadcasting in quad with SQ matrix , they started with QS but switched to SQ in July.

.....page 16 ;
There are Quad Promotions in Atlanta for both Sansui QS and CBS SQ .

.....page 30;
Stations with quad format switches from QS to SQ : WNCN FM , WYSP FM, and WFMT FM.

Last edited:
September 06 ,1975 page 23;
DSR Productions are presenting two Concerts of the group "MAN" at The Keystone Berkeley in conjunction with KSAN FM. (QS)

September 13 ,1975 page ??
KADX FM Denver is a Jazz Station broadcasting mostly in quadraphonic (no mention of format).
KQIV FM Portland is broadcasting R & B in quad (no mention of format ).

September 20 ,1975 page 01;
The FCC has called a halt to stations "Q" enhancing by both Sansui and CBS .

.....page 25;
The NAB was shown new equipment for broadcasting quad by Sansui , namely their new QS Encoder with music demonstrations piped in at their hotel . Also on hand was the Sony SQE 2000 Encoder.

.....page 27;
WRCR FM Rushville Indiana adds the Sansui QS encoder.

Last edited:
Yes! We're 93.3 now, though at such low power that it's much easier to just stream from k-zap.org.
I was a teenager addicted to KZAP growing up in SAC. and learned about many great artists from that station.

If you have any influence on programming, it would be super cool to have an hour show (in the evening-or once a week at least) with Involve (QS) encoded 70's/80's music :whistle: Hey, it's still stereo to the non-initiated right !!!

September 27,1975 page 48;
KWST FM in Los Angeles is using QS .

October 04,1975 page 22;
WCMF FM NY and WIQB FM Ann Arbor Michigan used EV Encoders for live Concert broadcasts starting in the fall of 1972 , but switched to QS in the beginning of 1975 . Encoding used 16 inputs ,4 outputs.

October 25,1975 page 28;
The R.P.M. Radio Program Management , are offering a music program featuring oldies and current top 40 pop hits from the past 10 years , SQ Encoded called " ROCK AND GOLD " .

If you have any influence on programming, it would be super cool to have an hour show (in the evening-or once a week at least) with Involve (QS) encoded 70's/80's music :whistle: Hey, it's still stereo to the non-initiated right !!!

My influence is minimal at best. We can "bring music from home" to some extent, but other than a few specialty shows there's not a lot of deviation.

A while ago I suggested bringing back the Sunday morning thing William Fuller used to do where just about anything got played for a few hours, but there's no interest.

I *have* pointed out that Dan Hicks' "I Scare Myself" is encoded, though. Not that I have any idea if anyone is listening during the 0000-0600 hours!

My influence is minimal at best. We can "bring music from home" to some extent, but other than a few specialty shows there's not a lot of deviation.

A while ago I suggested bringing back the Sunday morning thing William Fuller used to do where just about anything got played for a few hours, but there's no interest.

I *have* pointed out that Dan Hicks' "I Scare Myself" is encoded, though. Not that I have any idea if anyone is listening during the 0000-0600 hours!
KZAP back in the day was where I first heard "I Scare Myself" IIRC, and it just had that mystical air about it! See what I mean?

November 01,1975 page 20;
KQIV FM Portland Oregon , are broadcasting Disco from Peter's Habit in matrix quad from 10-11 pm.(no mention of format)

.....page 90;
WCLV FM Cleveland , Fine Arts station are broadcasting in QS music from The Oberlin.

November 08,1975 page 29;
A Concert by JOHN KLEMMER known as the "Quad Radio Spectacular" is being broadcast by KING/KZAM Seattle from an Explorer location truck. (no format mention)

November 22,1975 page 46;
An article on the plans for upcoming DSR Productions live recording projects . (QS)

KZAP back in the day was where I first heard "I Scare Myself" IIRC, and it just had that mystical air about it! See what I mean?

Me too! Without the original KZAP I'd never have known about Dan Hicks. Or Phil Manzanera. Or probably a ton of others I can't think of at the moment. They were a huge part of my musical education.

What's odd is that the only other station that had a profound effect on my taste was KPOP during the six months or so that they were "Rock of the 80s". Probably the most enduring band they introduced me to was Shriekback, arguably closely followed by Blancmange.

December 20 ,1975 page 24;
KMET FM in conjunction with The Record Plant are doing Concert broadcasts featuring : MOTT , RORY GALLAGHER , and SAVOY BROWN . ( no mention of quad but likely along the same lines as the Steely Dan concert which was QS)

January 03,1976 page 20;
The Agora is doing live broadcasts over WMMS FM using Sansui quad . The first acts will be STREETWALKER and MANFRED MANN .
(This is strange as they had a Live Rock programme known as "Live At The Agora" which was broadcast in SQ.
Also they commenced their QS programme beginning in 76 known as "A Whole New World Of Jazz" , featuring Jazz Artists .)

February 01,1976 page 23;
WBUS FM are doing live Jazz simulcasts in quad. (no mention of format)

March 27,1976 page 111;
WQXR NY aquires an SQ Encoder for Live in studio program broadcasts.

Back